Korg MS-20 Mini vs Doepfer Dark Energy Mk1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg MS-20 Mini vs Doepfer Dark Energy Mk1

Postby thinkingbeat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Which of these would you consider: 1) more playable, 2) has better modulation capabilities, and 3) as better for sequencing into deep hypnotic tracks?

They're within $100 of each other so price isn't really a consideration so much as sound and tweaking. I'm thinking the winner will be sequenced with a Doepfer Dark Time or an Elektron Analog Four.

I've been getting rid of some synths lately, so don't want to buy something I'll wind up selling again. For example: DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard - didn't care for the oscillators or filters (to me sounded cheap and rude) and the blue lights were giving me a headache. Moog Lil' Phatty - very musical, but no matter how much I turned the knobs couldn't get the range of sound I was after.

Thanks in advance!
thinkingbeat

Gear: Korg Polysix, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland JP-8000, Korg Prophecy, Waldorf Nave

Advertisement:

Re: Korg MS-20 Mini vs Doepfer Dark Energy Mk1

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 am

I think if you're going to get an Analog 4 to sequence it with anyway then get that first and see what you feel like you need afterward. On paper the MS is more playable (keyboard) and has more mod options (bigger patchbay, 2 oscs). The only thing that I think a DE mkI has going for it over the MS is the MS seems closer in tone to the A4 than the DE so you might want the DE for variety. But apart from that I'd be looking at the MS in your situation, and definitely the A4 over the Dark Time.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby shaft9000 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 am

neither are better than the other...there are very different sounds and apps for each, along with the obvious aesthetic and form-factor differences

ms-20 is more of a studio army-knife. a bit like an 'arp2600 jr' without the reverb, adds a resonant hipass, and lacks just a few other bits
DE is a synth expander sort of unit, albeit not at all lacking in modulation and usefulness, either.
DE+DT of course works straight away and are made for each other, while MS-20 runs Hz/V so it's limited choices there ---or you kludge a voltage converter in between the MS and whatever v/Oct sequencer you prefer.

btw, what's your idea of 'deep and hypnotic' ?
it can vary quite a bit
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby thinkingbeat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:19 am

Sorry - I meant to say that I planned to sequencer with a Doepfer Dark Time. I was thinking about an A4, but that's another thing altogether... oops! ;)
thinkingbeat

Gear: Korg Polysix, Waldorf Micro Q, Roland JP-8000, Korg Prophecy, Waldorf Nave

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:52 am

I'd choose an A4 over a Dark Time and either synth any day of the week. If you're interested in modulation capabilities the A4 beats any analogue synth ever made.
Stab Frenzy

Postby thinkingbeat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:59 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'd choose an A4 over a Dark Time and either synth any day of the week. If you're interested in modulation capabilities the A4 beats any analogue synth ever made.

Who makes the filters on the A4?
thinkingbeat

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 am

??? Elektron make all of it.
Stab Frenzy

Postby shaft9000 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: in modulation capabilities the A4 beats any analogue synth ever made.

for it's price range, maybe.

but certainly not 'any analogue synth ever'
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby CfNorENa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:47 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:in modulation capabilities the A4 beats any analogue synth ever made.

You've obviously never played a Juno 60.
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:55 am

CfNorENa wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:in modulation capabilities the A4 beats any analogue synth ever made.

You've obviously never played a Juno 60.

:lol: what?
Stab Frenzy

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:59 am

shaft9000 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: in modulation capabilities the A4 beats any analogue synth ever made.

Mod section + p locks + patch change per step (which gives you essentially another complete mod matrix to work with on each step). I don't know of any other analogue synth that can do that.
Stab Frenzy

Postby shaft9000 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:19 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:

Mod section + p locks + patch change per step (which gives you essentially another complete mod matrix to work with on each step). I don't know of any other analogue synth that can do that.

You're including the features of the digital sequencer and fx sections, along with the specific paths of how they're implemented here, in your definition of 'analogue synth'.
Any system with a scanner onboard can change to another patch per note/gate/step. naturally that could get expensive, so the A4s 'flexible but mostly closed' architecture is an ideal compromise, for those that are inclined to that sort of thing.

if you'd said 'beats any groovebox' i can agree... for the money, anyway. It is such an extremely affordable ready-solution to a formerly (very) expensive proposition. AHhhhh the things we can do with cheap memory and clever coding+hardware design. :mrgreen:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:33 am

I'm including "everything in the Analog 4" in my definition of "everything that's in the Analog 4". ;)

If you want to say it's not an analogue synth because it has digital modulation then that's fine, but that's not the conversation we're having here. :thumbleft:
Stab Frenzy

Return to Synth Shootouts