What is some good software for good guitar sounds?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

What is some good software for good guitar sounds?

Postby Tiger Jackson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Specifically funk guitar sounds like this @ 3:05
Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by Tiger Jackson on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Advertisement:

Re: What is some good software for goo guitar sounds?

Postby Bitexion » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:53 pm

I remember a plugin a friend of mine had, called Slayer. It made good guitar sounds. It could emulate nuances like fret slide and hammer-on/pull-offs too. Maybe works best for "metal guitar" sounds, though.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Re: What is some good software for good guitar sounds?

Postby tekkentool » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 am

NI's Scarbee funk guitarist is probably closest to what you're looking for. You have to be really sparing though and it's best to put some wah or something on it from Guitar Rig or whatever. There's nothing worse than audibly hearing you used a sampled acoustic instrument in the wrong way. Right into the uncanny valley.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby Tiger Jackson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Should i might as well learn guitar?
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:29 pm

It will take you a while (years) to be able to play guitar well enough for recording unless you plan on doing lots of sampling to cobble the parts together.

90% of getting realistic guitar sounds from synths is how they are played, the better the playing is the more you can forgive in the sounds themselves.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby tekkentool » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:46 pm

I don't think it'll take you years to learn basic funk guitar but if you have the option to learn guitar why not? more tools in the shed right?
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby ZeeOne » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:37 am

I may be a little biased since I'm a guitarist first and a keyboardist/electronic musician second, but Johnny Marr of the Smiths/Electronic/The The/The Healers/his own awesome self said that you can make a guitar sound like anything, but you can't make anything sound like a guitar. I agree 100% with this...all the ribbon controllers, pitch bend wheels, etc. in the world are not gonna be able to replace the overall more organic feel of a guitar.

Not trying to start a war here; it's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people start talking about replacing guitars/guitarists...
ZeeOne

Band: Wake the Ember

Postby CS_TBL » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 am

As long as the processes that create guitar sounds/noises can be scientifically explained, it can be recreated. You only have to know why something happens in order to recreate it. It's just that no-one has succeeded yet for the full 100%, partly because people refuse to look for solutions in alternative ways. And they do so because alternative ways may implicated alternative methods to play and control things, and that's tough to sell to conservative producers.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby Big Gnome » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 am

CS_TBL wrote:As long as the processes that create guitar sounds/noises can be scientifically explained, it can be recreated. You only have to know why something happens in order to recreate it. It's just that no-one has succeeded yet for the full 100%

I agree with you in theory. If we're talking physical modeling, there are a handful of technical hurdles to recreating a guitar sound, which I am confident could be achieved; I've heard extremely convincing waveguide models of strings (specifically, I'm referring to a variation of the Karplus-Strong algorithm that takes into account "reflections" on either "side" of the excitation) which even faithfully reproduce harmonics and the varying tones of different picking positions (up to a point--the model craps out slightly when "picking" very near to the "bridge"); not sure off the top of my head whether that approach can mimic different gauges of string, but that's a relatively minor detail. I have yet to hear a good model of a bridge though--not a huge deal for individual notes, but for chords and especially for techniques like unison bends, there is significant physical interaction between strings whose absence would sound extremely artificial. The body needs to be modeled as well--for acoustic guitars, this means mimicking the depth of the body and resonant modes of the soundboard; this is less a concern for electric guitars, although the neck and body woods have a noticeable impact on the tone--this would be difficult, but I think not insurmountable--convolution is probably the most sensible solution, although I've heard resonators which get within the ballpark. Additionally, electric guitars (generally speaking) have relatively simple, but still nontrivial interactions between a number of passive components which would need to be recreated as well.
I think that this stuff could be modeled accurately (although practically speaking, I doubt that it will be--I'd love to be proven wrong though). The bigger issue would be in controlling this model--you'd essentially need to be able to control the pitch, tone, and dynamics of each "string"/voice (as well as a few other properties like strumming speed, various voicing controls in the case of an electric guitar model, etc) independently in real time; it may be a failure of imagination on my part, but it seems to me that would require a controller that's guitar-like enough that you might as well just learn to play guitar to begin with. Just my two cents.

To the OP-- I don't have much experience with sample sets (since I play guitar myself), but if you felt inclined to learn to play, you could get an inexpensive guitar and amp for a few hundred dollars--more or less the cost of a middle-of-the-road used synth--and you could probably get pretty conversant with basic rhythm stuff within 6 months to a year (fair warning, your fingertips will be en fuego for the first couple of weeks :D).
In any case, do a little research on guitar voicings, as that will go a long way towards making your stuff sound authentic. Guitarists use a ton of inversions, widely spaced intervals, and frequently omit certain chord tones; basic 1-3-5 type voicings are actually pretty rare in guitar land.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my crap
Big Gnome

Gear: Alesis Ion
E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Postby Bitexion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:07 pm

One of the coolest things was when Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer would do their synth/guitar rock. Hammer was an expert at recreating electric guitar sounds on synthesizers. He used specific amplifiers and effects and adopted a playing style that mimicked a lead guitar player down to the strum of a string. They would do trade-off solos and you couldn't hear the difference.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Tiger Jackson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Bitexion wrote:One of the coolest things was when Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer would do their synth/guitar rock. Hammer was an expert at recreating electric guitar sounds on synthesizers. He used specific amplifiers and effects and adopted a playing style that mimicked a lead guitar player down to the strum of a string. They would do trade-off solos and you couldn't hear the difference.

Sounds awesome, any live performance videos of that?
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby elsquirrel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:06 am

disclaimer (not software):

Watch on youtube.com
elsquirrel

Postby Tiger Jackson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:29 pm

^That guy is great. But i'm looking more for acoustic guitar sounds.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby hyphen nation » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:02 pm

i'm sure you can find someone who plays guitar. Have them come over and track something with them...or learn to play. :)
hyphen nation

Gear: boxes that make noises

Return to Software Synthesizers