Opinions on the Octave Kitten?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Opinions on the Octave Kitten?

Postby rodgre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:03 pm

I have an opportunity to buy an Octave Kitten synth that needs to be repaired. I would probably be paying close to street-value for it, whatever that might be, so it's not a no-brainer decision.

I already have 2 Moog MG-1s, a Korg Mono/Poly and an Arp Avatar now. I am leaning toward thinking a single-oscillator synth might not be too exciting for me, but maybe there's something unique to the Kitten that might make it worthwhile.

By the way, I'm definitely a guitarist who loves analog synths and not a full-time keyboard player, if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts?

Roger
Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
rodgre

Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Advertisement:

Re: Opinions on the Octave Kitten?

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 pm

It's good for space sounds. That's about it. The keys will definitely suck.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby SKINNYPIG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm quite fond of it, although it has some annoying quirks regarding the lfo.

Not sure what difference there is in sound (if any) between the early versions and the later mk2/'SRM' models, apparently the mk1's don't have any CV and gate control.

I've had no problems with the keys; they're on the clunky side but trigger every time with no fuss
SKINNYPIG

Postby Cumulus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:11 pm

I've never owned one but I know two people who do plus a guy who tours with a Cat. They all love them and hae no plans of getting rid of them.

One of the Kitten owners I know has a slew of vintage and modern Moogs adn he still feels the Kitten has somethign to offer.

Since I've played the Kitten a few times I think I'll go write some reviews on every site I cna think of. I'm obviously an expert on the subject.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Cumulus

Postby analoglsd » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:42 pm

I've owned a couple Kittens, and was impressed with it.
Due, in part, to the 2 sub oscillators, it can sound really thick for a single oscillator monosynth.
It has a lot of fun modulation options, which can get pretty wild, but not nearly as wild as the Cat.
If it's pricey, and needs work, I'd pass.
If you could get a working Cat for close to the same price, I would definitely go that route, but honestly, having the Mono/Poly and the Avatar, you're not going to be treading a whole lot of new ground with the Cat or Kitten.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Return to General Synthesizers