Data CRC error Emax II

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Data CRC error Emax II

Postby Frayo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 am

I got a boatload of floppies for an Emax II. I have an Emax II. The Emax II has a 250MB HDD inside that works perfectly.
When I bought it, I spent many blissful weeks enjoying the wonderful sounds of this Emax II and it's plethora of floppy disks.

Over a course of a few weeks, the drive started making weird noises and slowly stopped loading floppies, giving an increasingly large number of CRC errors. I know how cyclic redundancy works....
I replaced the floppy drive with a shiny NOS one.....only to have it CRC Error every floppy...even the ones that had never been used in the Emax II.

A CRC check runs at the beginning and end of a predetermined block of data as a means of checking it's integrity. When I ask Emax gurus about it, they say that it's a problem that typically arises with 1.44mb floppies imaged to fool the on-board FDC into thinking they are 760k floppies. I highly doubt this, as they wouldn't have spent so many weeks working perfectly.

There are no magnets or anything of the sort nearby.

If my floppies went bad...how could 200+ disks die almost instantly....even the ones that weren't touched?
Cables and connections are working and secure.
Frayo

Gear: Too much to list!

My wonderful gf maintains a page on it: http://yserasaurus.tumblr.com/gearslut

Return to HELP!