holy grail, synths, mixer, and newbie

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

holy grail, synths, mixer, and newbie

Postby groy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Any tips for using a mackie 1202 vlz pro with a holy grail plus and/or memory boy?

Trying to get them to sound their best and am having trouble particularly with the reverb (currently using aux send / return). Maybe that's the way this thing sounds or maybe i'm used to my nanoverb coming back with a stereo spread?

Have had fine luck using the nanoverb and sp808 as parallel effects. I followed the trail and ended up reading about impedance matching - didn't realize any of this was an issue, argh! Do you guys use a DI before going back into the mixer? And please be kind, i know (now) this isn't a new topic but am not finding a consensus so looking for advice on these particular pieces + might be doing something obviously stupid.
groy

Advertisement:

Re: holy grail, synths, mixer, and newbie

Postby groy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Can I open this up and ask how people are using a Holy Grail in their setup?
groy

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:13 pm

What's the "trouble" you are having?

Impedance mismatching should not be an issue.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby groy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:19 pm

To my (newbie) ears, it sounds kinda harsh and tinny and is not really putting the sound in any sort of 'space'. I can't tell if this is how it's supposed to sound and I'm just not liking it, if i'm used to a stereo spread, or if i'm using it wrong.
groy

Postby tallowwaters » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:46 pm

You aren't overloading the Holy Grail at the input are you?

Any of your friends have a different reverb pedal you could try as a diagnostic tool, just to confirm it is/isn't the Grail?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby groy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah idk if I am overloading it, but i wonder if that's what i'm hearing? When i go synth > grail > mixer that seems that that might be the issue, so have been trying it send /return which is how I use my other effects anyway, and even if that mixer aux send level for the channel is set really low it's still sounding crappy (or is too quiet to be worthwhile). I don't know anyone who has a Holy Grail I could A/B. The memory boy i picked up around the same time works well this way though.
Tonight i'll try again going synth > pedal > mixer with the volume on the synth way down.
groy

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:45 am

groy wrote:even if that mixer aux send level for the channel is set really low it's still sounding crappy (or is too quiet to be worthwhile).

That's what you would expect in this situation, the Holy Grail is designed for use with guitar level signals not line level. Try setting the output level from the mixer really low and then returning the HG to a channel with gain on the input (1-4) and gaining it up there. You should be able to find a balance where it's working as it should that way.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby groy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks. I tried this and it seems to temper it a bit and give me some control. Also tried going synth (at really low output) > reverb > mixer again and this seems to work ok too but not as well. I'm thinking that i'm a dumbass and just might not like the way this thing sounds.
groy

Return to Sound Production