Getting an iPad4, 32G wifi - set me up!

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Re: Getting an iPad4, 32G wifi - set me up!

Postby gmeredith » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 am

gone are the days of peace and quiet

Yes I'm at the same stage in life as you too - I can totally relate! And the iPad will be put to similar use, I imagine :lol:
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, RAP10, DP1 drum kit, DH100, CDP200
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol & ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & CF card reader, Evolution MK461C, BCR2000
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Advertisement:

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 am

My iPad has turned into a games device primarily. And I've got a few synths on there too.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby clubbedtodeath » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 pm

gmeredith wrote:Yes I'm at the same stage in life as you too - I can totally relate! And the iPad will be put to similar use, I imagine

:D

Picture it - the house is finally quiet, an ice-cold glass of beer sits on the coffee table, the sofa all to yourself..

Bitexion wrote:My iPad has turned into a games device primarily. And I've got a few synths on there too.

The likes of GTA: Vice City are essential when cookery programmes are on the TV, I find.
clubbedtodeath

Postby danbroad » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 pm

There's a coreMIDI controller called 'piano apprentice' made by Ion and sold by places such as Maplin in the UK. It's cheap and cheerful, and really aimed at iPad novices. However, being coreMIDI capable - and available on eBay for around the £25 mark - this may well be a very cheap way of getting a 2-octave controller which is iPad ready. Certainly much cheaper than an iRig Keys or a used 2-octave and a camera connection kit. If it works, it's a compact travel setup, made even cooler because it's battery powered as an option. This, audiobus, any synth of your choice and a free overdubbing recorder app is a proper rucksack studio.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/detail ... apprentice

However, as yet it's untested and there's little information on the web about it. For example, I don't even yet know if it has octave transpose.... But...... In the interests of science, I've ordered one and over the coming week will try it all out. That's the kind of love I have for you all.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Postby danbroad » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:59 am

OK, tested, it's brilliant. Not only does is feel reasonably well built (though plastic through and through) but it's a completely independent setup. The ipad connector cable not only lets me control Nave, Thor, Animoog and the others that are coreMIDI compatible, but the unit has two built in speakers and the sound comes from those. With just this and an iPad you have a portable, battery powered 2-octave synth with built in monitors.

Now, there's no headphones socket but you could just use the ipad's, and the speakers aren't going to find their way into any professional studio anytime soon, but the ability to sit anywhere and play your synths with a massive GUI and touchscreen control is great. The keys are mini sized, but actually their action is not half bad considering, and there's no flex in the keyboard when you press on the keys. The keys light up (after all, this is aimed at beginners) but adtually it's strangely retro-cool, in a Jarre-Harp kind of way!

This and Sunrizer is a 2-octave mini-JP! Interfacing it with a studio setup might be a case of connecting a stereo mini-TRS splitter from the headphones out socket, but I didn't buy it for that. I bought it for a travelling studio setup, and I don't think there's any other solution on the market that brings speakers, an ipad connection and a keyboard for the price they go for on eBay.
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Previous

Return to Software Synthesizers