Roland SH02 or Korg ms20 mini

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Roland SH02 or Korg ms20 mini

Postby alexsenmedo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:47 am

Hi, I found a roland sh02 in 650euros but the korg ms20 mini cost 600 euros.
What do i do? which is the better option?
Thanks and regards!!
alexsenmedo

Advertisement:

Re: Roland SH02 or Korg ms20 mini

Postby madmarkmagee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 am

Well the MS 20 mini would have a warranty on it, and probably be a hell of a lot more reliable and stable.

Check out demo's, use you ears. Take in mind the the SH is gunna have all the reliability problems of a 30+ yr old synth.
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Andy_X69 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:52 am

alexsenmedo wrote:Hi, I found a roland sh02 in 650euros but the korg ms20 mini cost 600 euros.
What do i do? which is the better option?
Thanks and regards!!

The SH2 is a phenomenal bass synth, but is far less flexible than the MS20 mini and will also come with the expected vintage-tech problems (i.e. harder to care for etc etc).

The MS20 mini is far more flexible, less of a brilliant bass synth though (I think the LPF is only 2-pole), and will be more reliable.

In your situation I'd take the MS20 mini. More reliable, FAR more flexible... you can use it as a guitar synth, filter things through it, do whatever... and its cheaper.

If you're concerned about bass duties, there are plenty of bass-focused analog monosynths out there... Novation's Bass Station 2 will be released soon, and it has a Roland-like sound (can cover both 303-ish and SH-ish sounds), so you really don't need the SH2.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128
Andy_X69

Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Postby alexsenmedo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks!!
I am afraid of the keyboard of the korg.
I want the synth for play some melodies while I play, for example, the rhodes.
I am not going to use it to play with his possibilities...
Also i found one roland sh09 in 470 euros...
Thanks to all!!
alexsenmedo

Postby Z » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Sounds like a pretty decent price on the SH-2 these days. I'd jump on it. You can always get a MS-20 mini. In 6 months to a year from now, they'll be popping up on the used market on the cheap.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Monocelot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Z wrote:Sounds like a pretty decent price on the SH-2 these days. I'd jump on it. You can always get a MS-20 mini. In 6 months to a year from now, they'll be popping up on the used market on the cheap.

+1
Monocelot

Gear: DSI Prophet 08 PE
Roland SH-2
Korg MS-20
DSI Tempest
Vermona DRM-1 MKIII
Moog Minimoog Model D
Shruthi-1
Moog MF-104z
Jomox XBase 999

Postby smoinync » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:14 am

Im not sure if SMD circuitry in MS20 mini would be harder to repair when error takes place in the future. IMO SH2 offers analog juiciness while MS20 mini would be a standard finale' for vintage semi modular genre.
smoinync

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:51 am

smoinync wrote:Im not sure if SMD circuitry in MS20 mini would be harder to repair when error takes place in the future. IMO SH2 offers analog juiciness while MS20 mini would be a standard finale' for vintage semi modular genre.

I love how everyone says that 'difficulty repairing SMT circuits' is a reason to avoid modern gear. I solder SMT stuff with a 12 year old, mega cheap iron that has never had the tip replaced. It's not that hard, you just need to take your time and be careful.

In 'the future' it's actually going to be easier to repair SMT stuff because the replacement parts will actually be available. Through-hole stuff is already being phased out, ST Micro just discontinued the very popular TL074 in DIP package.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby smoinync » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:12 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
smoinync wrote:Im not sure if SMD circuitry in MS20 mini would be harder to repair when error takes place in the future. IMO SH2 offers analog juiciness while MS20 mini would be a standard finale' for vintage semi modular genre.

I love how everyone says that 'difficulty repairing SMT circuits' is a reason to avoid modern gear. I solder SMT stuff with a 12 year old, mega cheap iron that has never had the tip replaced. It's not that hard, you just need to take your time and be careful.

In 'the future' it's actually going to be easier to repair SMT stuff because the replacement parts will actually be available. Through-hole stuff is already being phased out, ST Micro just discontinued the very popular TL074 in DIP package.

Man, how soon is the future. Hope it will be available next week.
BTW, in order to soldering SMC, does it require anything besides soldering gun & iron.
Thx in advanced
smoinync

Postby pflosi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Monocelot wrote:
Z wrote:Sounds like a pretty decent price on the SH-2 these days. I'd jump on it. You can always get a MS-20 mini. In 6 months to a year from now, they'll be popping up on the used market on the cheap.

+1

+2. The SH2 blows the MS20 away with its pure raw goodness IMO. Good to have them both of course :ugeek:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Dr. Phibes » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I love how everyone says that 'difficulty repairing SMT circuits' is a reason to avoid modern gear. I solder SMT stuff with a 12 year old,

So that's how Korg keeps the price down ;)

But yeah, I'd so go for the SH-2 for that price. There's something about all those early SH's that I can't get enough of. There's going to plenty MS-20minis at second hand (read: not vintage) prices soon enough.

EDIT: just saw that the OP is a month old so you've probably made the decision. Still, I stand by what I said.
Dr. Phibes

Postby johannis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:00 pm

But yeah, I'd so go for the SH-2 for that price. There's something about all those early SH's that I can't get enough of. There's going to plenty MS-20minis at second hand (read: not vintage) prices soon enough.

I strongly concur with Dr Phibes:
I'm blessed to have both a vintage SH-02 (and several others SH-xx original Rolands) AND a mini MS-20 (btw I have an original MS-20 too... one of the first batch's one, bought when it was out in France, was 28 then, blyme :-(( ...
anyway, the original Roland sound can't be rivaled (smooth and fat bass plus very moogish leads thanks to a very fast filter/adsr combination), but the MS20 is unequaled when you want to jiggle with sounds and experiment with patching... plus, the Korg filter has a very special sound which is a perfect complement to the original Roland one.
Another piece of advice: Except that the mini has a much better s/n ratio, there's no audible difference btw the vintage and the new one. Of course, you need to get used to the mini keyboard...
as for Roland, the "new" ones (like the SH-01 Gaia) are fun but, on the sound side, they sadly have nothing to do with their older bros of 70s' yore (I know it: I have a Gaia!).

PS: for those who own a rs-09: gr8 organ/string machine... used it a lot in the 70s-early 80s (was muche lighter and easier to carry on tour than the Korg 1000 and 2000). Sold it and bought recently a mkII one (not so pretty, I liked the "old touch" knobs and switches). At least, the sound is no different.
But for a "real" vintage string machine/poly synth touch, with a more comfortable keyboard, there's nothing better than the Korg Poly ensemble and orchestra (btw, the first paraphonic then polyphonic keyboard synths... even before the multi and polymoog!)
johannis

Return to Buyer's Guide