Quasimidi Sirius Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Quasimidi Sirius Problem

Postby birdie15 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi,

I just brought a Quasimidi Sirius from Ebay, and have been having some problems :?

On switching on (original power supply), I found that on playing sound patches, the parameters were changing randomly (level, detune, cutoff etc). This was happening with every 10 or so notes played.

When switching to another patch, the sound changed instantly, but the readout was taking up to about 15 seconds to show the new patch name and parameters loading. These issued occurred in pattern play also.

I have now re-initialised the synth and plugged the power supply into an outlet not shared with other devices.

It's much better, but is still happening occasionally.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, or have any ideas what the problem may be?

The synth is cosmetically immaculate and has apparently only seen studio use.

Thanks,

Simon
birdie15

Advertisement:

Re: Quasimidi Sirius Problem

Postby natrixgli » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:34 am

Double check all the connectors on the boards. Also check the EEPROM on the bottom of the unit. I reseated a bunch of connectors on mine and it took care of some bizarre behavior.
natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Postby birdie15 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Chers for that, the EEPROM seems okay.

Can you advise on dissembling the unit?

The side panels seem attached by allen keys, do I need remove them, and is access achieved from removing the top panel?

Thanks,

Simon
birdie15

Postby natrixgli » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm

birdie15 wrote:Chers for that, the EEPROM seems okay.

Can you advise on dissembling the unit?

The side panels seem attached by allen keys, do I need remove them, and is access achieved from removing the top panel?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon -

I'm going from memory here, but you do need to remove the side panels. After you remove the allen screws, there is a flat piece of plastic behind each side panel that will come out so be aware of that. There are an additional few silver screws underneath the side panels, as well as some screws on the front panel and back panel you will need to remove. (I think about 10 allen screws, 6-7 black screws, and 2-4 silver screws if memory serves.) When you lift off the top panel you will need to be careful because there are several connections between the control board and the main board inside the synth chassis, so lift it up gently. Also it's a good idea to mark the connectors for the pitch & mod wheels if you disconnect them, as well as the two connectors that go between the control board and the main board on the left. (I used a sharpie to put arrows on mine)

In addition to re-seating the board connectors, I also had to replace the LCD in mine, so I'd taken it apart quite a few times. I sold it a few months ago, but I kind of miss it. I just hated the amount of steps involved in saving things.

-n8
natrixgli

Postby birdie15 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks for that. Yeah, the interfaces are pretty archaic.

Right now I'm going for a refund from the seller as I should have received the synth in A1 condition, without having to take it apart, which I'm not too comfortable about at this stage.
birdie15

Postby Yekuku » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 pm

What you are experiencing is "ghost editing", which is very common for quasimidi products of that era.
This is caused by either dirty or worn potentiometers.
if they havent been used for a while , a couple of turns might help to get them going.
If the problems persist then try some deoxit pot cleaner or disassemble/clean the pots or replace them.

and guess what... there is still quasimidi support :
http://www.quasimidi.eu/
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby birdie15 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 am

Cheers man, that seems to have sorted it out nicely :mrgreen:

Shocked there is still support, haven't had a chance to check out the translated page.

You guys rock :guitar:
birdie15

Postby natrixgli » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:42 am

Glad it's working. The Sirius is a super underrated synth. I really enjoyed the two I've had over the years. It was the first keyboard I owned, purchased from the newly opened Novamusik here in Milwaukee back in about 1998 or 1999. But korg announced the ms2000 right after I got it and that led to my first bout of GAS.
natrixgli

Return to HELP!