Waldorf Blofeld

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 am

It's not usable. The only synth I own that is capable is the Minibrute. I sent a complaint to Waldorf, and they said the issue will be resolved within the year. I'll just avoid that area and live with it for now.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Advertisement:

Postby Hugo76 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:We mentioned that on the last page. It's pretty bad, eh? It's a pretty glaring flaw, especially considering all of the arp presets. It's been out for ,what, 5 years now, and they still haven't fixed it? I still kind of want one again for pads, but then I remember the syncing issues and I hesitate.

+1
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 pm

I was really excited when the Blofeld came out. I had been using the PPG 2.v plugin for a while and thought this was my opportunity to get PPG-esque sounds without a DAW. But those sync issues kind of put me off of buying one. Still not fixed? Dang, and I was looking for an affordable present to give myself for losing a bunch of weight. (lost 45 lbs!).
Guess I'll pick up a Mopho or a Minibrute instead.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 am

Yep. If syncing Lfos is something you do a lot. I'd avoid getting it for now. I usually modulate in real time so the pure sonic strength of the synth is more than worth it to me.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Postby Joshy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:35 am

Bit of a bump on this, sorry.

But, I ended up with an XTk (10v) and I wouldn't really think of picking up the Blo. I'm am absolutely in love with the sound of the XTk, and its whole character.

Plus it's orange.

Joshy

Postby Big Gnome » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:36 pm

If anyone's interested, I made wavetables for the Blofeld from the Ensoniq VFX's transwaves. They're not 100% perfect, but most of them are more or less indistinguishable from the original.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0acargup4demaa6/L2FdHJQulJ
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my crap
Big Gnome

Gear: Alesis Ion
E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Big Gnome wrote:If anyone's interested, I made wavetables for the Blofeld from the Ensoniq VFX's transwaves. They're not 100% perfect, but most of them are more or less indistinguishable from the original.

wow awesome, I was thinking of doing the same thing!!!
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby cgren72 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Big Gnome wrote:If anyone's interested, I made wavetables for the Blofeld from the Ensoniq VFX's transwaves. They're not 100% perfect, but most of them are more or less indistinguishable from the original.

Downloaded, thanks! Can't wait to try them out
cgren72

Postby calaverasgrande » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:58 pm

You guys are giving me GAS again.

I keep vacillating between craving a Blofeld and thinking I can just pickup a used Microwave 2 or some other Waldorf on CL.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas

Postby Rick N Boogie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks Big Gnome, very nice to share those. I've never downloaded any waves to Mr Blo, just used what comes with it from the factory. Should be fun and interesting to sculpt new sounds with these. Thanks.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby Shleed » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:32 am

I never had any issues with my Blofeld, strangely enough. Then again, I don't use it's LFOs in sync or use arps (I hate arps on synths). If I want stuff in sync, I'd do it via the sequencer rather the synth.
Shleed

Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Akai Miniak
Korg Monotron
Ensoniq EPS-16+
Band: Shleed

Postby calaverasgrande » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Shleed wrote:I never had any issues with my Blofeld, strangely enough. Then again, I don't use it's LFOs in sync or use arps (I hate arps on synths). If I want stuff in sync, I'd do it via the sequencer rather the synth.

It's funny I used to be the same way about arps on synths until I got my Taurus 3. But then it is a synth you play in a non-conventional manner so perhaps it was my lazy feet that lead to using arps on it so much. Also my current setup does not involve a sequencer. I have a drum machine and a couple synths connected to it for sync only. Everything else is either sequencing itself, running on a latched arp or you know...being played.
Still, if there is a feature on a synth that doesnt work as advertised, I will act like any other huffy American and demand that the manufacturer fix it, and clean my bathroom as well! :lol:

I'm certainly buying a Waldorf at some point. It is just a matter of how many other synths jump out in my path on the way towards that purchase. (MS20 mini, MiniBrute, VolcaXXXX etc).
calaverasgrande

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 pm

I didn't care about syncing for years. Then I used the minibrute. The LFO will sync to midi, which is really useful for making sequences evolve over time, but be more predictable for your song structure. We'll see how Waldorf handles it. I still love the thing. I just brought it out live, and slammed the crowd with a bunch of aliased bass patches.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8

Postby Shleed » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 pm

If I want it to sync via LFOs, ill use one through the sequencer. Probably down to the possibility that the Blofeld is a bit underpowered in the CPU department. Wouldn't be surprised, since they go so cheaply.

I'd much rather that than the likes of most ipad synths, though. They are often riddled with midi jitter.
Shleed

Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Akai Miniak
Korg Monotron
Ensoniq EPS-16+
Band: Shleed

Postby Infinity Curve » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:29 pm

So I picked up a used Blofeld over the weekend. Having a blast with it! Glad I finally picked one up again, don't think I gave it enough of a chance last time, sync issues aside.

Also, in case any of you have iPads's and haven't seen this:

Watch on youtube.com

You just need to grab the TB midi stuff app and download that template and off you go. Hooks direct to the Blofeld USB with the iPad camera connection kit.
Infinity Curve

Gear: Juno 106, SH101, Virus TI2 Polar, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, , MPC2500, Maschine, System 10, System 3
Band: Infinity Curve

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide