Is the equipment I'm using good enough to produce a......

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Is the equipment I'm using good enough to produce a......

Postby LeeRyan1978 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

professional dance track like 'Icona pops 'I don't care'?
I'm using a Roland Fantom X with a Roland Quad capture with Cubase 5.
If not,what kind of equipment would I need to purchase ie. to get that professional sound ie. those powerful drum tracks heard in dance hits?
Or would I have to pay enough to get it mixed and recorded properly in a professional studio?
Regards,
Lee.
Last edited by LeeRyan1978 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeRyan1978

Advertisement:

Re: Is the equipment I'm using good enough to produce a.....

Postby LeeRyan1978 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm

What kind of equipment do bands like Icona pop use to produce and record there hits?
LeeRyan1978

Postby Z » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:59 pm

Most of the "magic" of a song happens in the studio where individual instrument tracks are compressed and/or EQ'd. At that point it's no so much about equipment (though does play a factor), but knowledge.

Of I ever write anything worthy of charging money, I will have a professional mix it.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes, it's good enough.

The "magic" is knowing how to create the sound, not so much the gear used to do it.

LeeRyan1978 wrote:What kind of equipment do bands like Icona pop use to produce and record there hits?

All I can find online is that their live rig is the usual twin laptops plus DJ gear. My guess then is it's mainly ITB.
Last edited by meatballfulton on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby LeeRyan1978 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:22 pm

You're both saying different things- Doing a professional mix in a professional studio and the other using the equipment I already use. It can only be one thing!
Any more advice anyone?
LeeRyan1978

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:30 pm

A lot of "professional studios" are just computers loaded with plugins.

It's really down the skills of the mixing engineer.

The equipment you already have is good enough to get 90% of the way there.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Absolutely, like they often say - 'you can get 90% of the way there with relatively inexpensive tools, it's the last 10% that you *really* pay the big bucks for'

And lets be honest, most people get their stuff mastered professionally anyway, so a lot of it really is just skill, talent and hard work. :geek:
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby tekkentool » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 am

LeeRyan1978 wrote:I'm using a Roland Fantom X with a Roland Quad capture

Get rid of that.

LeeRyan1978 wrote:Cubase 5.

Perfect.

LeeRyan1978 wrote:If not,what kind of equipment would I need to purchase ie. to get that professional sound ie. those powerful drum tracks heard in dance hits?

Nothing.

That exact kick is in one of the vengeance drum libraries, (Zedd and swedish house mafia have both used the same one a couple of times). As for the snare, look around, find the samples you like (just use vengeance m8) and get layering/EQ'ing. Put some phat compressors on it to make the transients damage speakers and you're there buddy.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Postby LeeRyan1978 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:45 pm

tekkentool wrote:
LeeRyan1978 wrote:I'm using a Roland Fantom X with a Roland Quad capture

Get rid of that.

LeeRyan1978 wrote:Cubase 5.

Perfect.

LeeRyan1978 wrote:If not,what kind of equipment would I need to purchase ie. to get that professional sound ie. those powerful drum tracks heard in dance hits?

Nothing.

That exact kick is in one of the vengeance drum libraries, (Zedd and swedish house mafia have both used the same one a couple of times). As for the snare, look around, find the samples you like (just use vengeance m8) and get layering/EQ'ing. Put some phat compressors on it to make the transients damage speakers and you're there buddy.

What do you mean by 'That exact kick'?...is that a plug-in for Cubase?
Could you please give me some links?
Lee Ryan.
LeeRyan1978

Postby LeeRyan1978 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Where can i get a female singer to sing on my records?
How much money will i need to get my records on the market and in the shops without a record contract?
LeeRyan1978

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Vengeance Sound sample packs

I think tekkentool's suggestion was to buy "dancefloor ready" sample packs and use those in Cubase to get the sounds you're after.
meatballfulton

Postby Z » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm

LeeRyan1978 wrote:Where can i get a female singer to sing on my records?

Other than hiring a professional singer, you can:

Put ads on CraigsList, college/university message boards (virtual and physical), hang around clubs where bands play to see if any singers are looking to do a side project.

How much money will i need to get my records on the market and in the shops without a record contract?

Today, I would think it really doesn't cost you anything to get you music out to the public. YouTube, SoundCloud, FaceBook, MySpace. I'm not sure how iTunes and Spotify work, but I know a lot of local bands are getting their music out that way.

Since you're interested in doing dance music, you would probably want to buddy up with some DJs and get them to throw your tunes in their mix.

I don't know. I'm just an old fart that does music for fun. Remember, there's a million people out there trying to make a living with music. In my 20s, I watched and helped bands try to make it - it's not pretty - no way in hell I would want to make a living as a musician. The internet has made it easier (more cost effective) and harder (now you're competing with every kid with a computer) at the same time.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Shleed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:11 am

Learn how to mix your tracks yourself, or send it off to someone else who can do it.

90% of what you hear is expertise, the 10% is gear. You will get crap results with expensive gear if you don't know what you're doing.
Shleed

Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Akai Miniak
Korg Monotron
Ensoniq EPS-16+
Band: Shleed

Return to Sound Production