Replacement LCD Screen for Yamaha DX27

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Replacement LCD Screen for Yamaha DX27

Postby pinky_blue » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a replacement LCD screen for my DX27, does anyone know which one I should use and where I could source it from?

Thanks
pinky_blue

Advertisement:

Re: Replacement LCD Screen for Yamaha DX27

Postby DX21 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 am

In theory it should be the same as a DX21, http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-c ... it-57-0913

This is the one, and its local too :D the shape is the key thing, others will work but would require some crafty hacking versus a dropin replacement like this one.

I'm thinking you might need a pin header from your local electronic parts store though.
~Chicks Dig My Solid Bass~
~Time Trax~
DX21: Needs new YM2151, Pitch Knob
DX21

Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Postby pinky_blue » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:00 pm

DX21 wrote:In theory it should be the same as a DX21, http://www.rapidonline.com/electronic-c ... it-57-0913

This is the one, and its local too :D the shape is the key thing, others will work but would require some crafty hacking versus a dropin replacement like this one.

I'm thinking you might need a pin header from your local electronic parts store though.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks so much. :D
pinky_blue

Postby pinky_blue » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm

OK so I've finally got around to looking at this repair.

I managed to get to the old lcd and take off the plastic display fascia without breaking it. There are some pesky screws holding the original lcd onto the metal bracket which secures the lcd onto the case which I can't seem to get off (any ideas? They are rounded at the top and don't seem to come off). Also the new display has 16 pins whereas the original only has 14. Is it going to be possible to get this new screen to work?

I can provide photos if anyone wants to see what's going on in there.

Mods, maybe this should be moved to the HELP forum?

Cheers
pinky_blue

Postby pinky_blue » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:41 pm

pinky_blue wrote:There are some pesky screws holding the original lcd onto the metal bracket which secures the lcd onto the case which I can't seem to get off

Hold on a sec....I found the service manual here:

http://soundprogramming.net/manuals/Yam ... Manual.pdf

These "screws" were apparently nylon rivets, which I have now removed.

So if anyone knows if I can get the dx27 to take a 16 pin lcd it would be greatly appreciated.
pinky_blue

Postby plus321 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:04 am

I think you would need to put in an inverter circuit to power the backlight which would be pins 15 & 16. I think these didn't have a backlit display.

Just don't hook up 15 and 16 and it will probably work with no backlight. An oled doesn't need those connections either, but would probably be harder to find the same physical specs.
plus321

Postby pinky_blue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:12 pm

plus321 wrote:I think you would need to put in an inverter circuit to power the backlight which would be pins 15 & 16. I think these didn't have a backlit display.

Just don't hook up 15 and 16 and it will probably work with no backlight. An oled doesn't need those connections either, but would probably be harder to find the same physical specs.

OK great. To be honest I'm not bothered about the backlight working so long as the display does. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers!
pinky_blue

Postby plus321 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Yeah, don't try to just drop in any oled, I guess. I did it yesterday on my sp12 and it wouldn't display right because it wasn't 100% compatible with older stuff. It would write the characters backwards. I think with an LCD you will probably be fine.

If your 16 pin lcd has an LED backlight and not an EL Foil you can just find 5v line (+10ohm resistor) and ground and wire it to have a backlight, but an el foil needs an inverter.
plus321

Postby pinky_blue » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Managed to solder the pin header to the new LCD (and quite neatly as well, am fairly pleased about that!). Have reconnected the LCD which seems to work but.....I'm getting a display full of black squares!

I've found some info on this on another forum:

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =35&t=6129

So the general consensus seems to be that I need to:

Change the battery (I've ordered one and I'm waiting for it to arrive)
Change the contrast
Reload the sounds

I know how to change the battery and load the sounds but does anyone know how I change the contrast?

Thanks
pinky_blue

Postby plus321 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Contrast might be pin 3 on your display. I just put one in my sp12 and I wired a 10k pot.

I just jumped the ground and 5v from pins 1 and 2 on the display to the inputs of the pot and then the wiper out to pin 3 of the display. and knob adjusts contrast. Then you can mount the knob somewhere or find a resistance value and set it or something.
plus321

Postby Jonahs » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:52 am

i'm looking for the actual LCD itself without the interface. mine is cracked in the middle, the edges still display though. i'd used a dx100 long enough that i can still program it! :oops: i took the screen out by bending the 4 metal bars to hold it in place and later slid the screen itself back in and it still works. so i'm not sure why i would buy the whole deal, but i must not know the right thing to search for. or should i just get the cheapest 16x2 LCD i can find and take the screen out of that?

btw, the "rivets" i popped out by pressing on with the head of a screwdriver. i didn't know what they were either. :lol:
Jonahs

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods