Kawai K1 problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Kawai K1 problem

Postby Sweep » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 am

I plugged in my Kawai K1 tonight after a few weeks or months of lack of use (i really can't remember when I last used it).

The display lights up, but remains on the "*Kawai K1* synthesizer" message. A couple of times I've managed to get it past that, but editing is erratic and much of the time the buttons don't work. My patches don't seem to be present any longer. On one occasion it went to a modulated sound that continued without any key being pressed.

I'm inclined to suspect the battery, but I thought I'd ask here to see if the behaviour is consistent with that. There's no low battery message, so I wonder if it could be something else. I've powered it off for now in case it's a power supply problem or something.

I don't know the history of this keyboard, but it seems reasonable to suppose the battery has never been replaced. I bought it for £10.50 three or four years ago with some broken keys and bits rattling around inside. I was told it had had a DX21 (or maybe DX27) dropped on it. I got the bits out and replaced the broken keys. It's always worked well and I've edited it extensively with no problems before tonight, but I don't use it very often.

If it's likely to be the battery I'll take it to a tech, but if it's something serious I'll probably sell it for parts as I got it cheap and it hasn't been a major instrument for me. (I wish I'd sampled it, though.)
Last edited by Sweep on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free the Jupiter 8!
Sweep

Advertisement:

Re: Kawai K1 problem

Postby rhino » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 am

Never had one, but had two K4s...maybe similar construction. There are flat ribbon cables that connect the boards together. The connectors are the "mousetrap" style: pull the clamp up, insert the cable, then press the clamp down to lock. These (in the K4) are VERY flimsey and the cables can pull loose causing all nature of problems.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby Sweep » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks. That sounds feasible. I'll open it up to see if the K1 is built that way, and report back in a day or two.
Free the Jupiter 8!
Sweep

Postby Sweep » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:31 am

I think it's cured, so I'll close this topic.

Many thanks for the advice.

I opened it up, and although nothing seemed to be loose I made sure things were pushed fully home. What it may have been, though, is that there's a sheet with a coppery coating that goes over the circuit board. It's anchored at each corner, but it had come loose - presumably during the hammering the synth had before I got it - and I wondered if that might have been shorting something. As an experiment I removed it completely and put the synth back together.

It now seems to work as normal. All the patches have gone, but it powers on correctly every time, and all the select and edit options work. I have one of my patches written down by hand, so I'll put that back in and do some experimenting like I did before to get more useful sounds - and also sample it this time. I probably won't bother looking to download the original patches.

I'm assuming the sheet was just protective - but please tell me if it's something vital. :oops: It doesn't seem to be.
Free the Jupiter 8!
Sweep

Postby rhino » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:07 am

Good work. Anything flopping around inside a synth is inviting problems!
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10