Yamaha CS-10, sound comes in and out

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.

Yamaha CS-10, sound comes in and out

Postby caelt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey all,

I have an old Yamaha CS-10 given to me by my uncle. He hadn't been playing it much, so made for a pretty sweet gift. But the problem is that the volume comes in and out on the synthesizer. I will let it warm up, sweep the filter and resonance a bit, and then the sound will come popping through. It will sometimes work unfailingly. Other times I cannot get it to remain sounding for more than a few minutes at a time. The most sure fire way I have found to get the sound back is to play the lowest note of lowest octave with a low pass filter all the way left, resonance all the way right, then sweeping the filter up a few times.

Is it possible that the pots are just extremely dusty and losing connection? Or maybe something with the power supply?

Also, for more info, it will be making sound when "cut out." You can hear very faintly the notes being played, but mainly just an electrical buzz-pop when striking the key.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I just take it to someone for repairs, and how much is that usually priced?

Thanks very much!
caelt

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS-10, sound comes in and out

Postby meatwarp » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:37 pm

hi caelt... this sort of thing is usually typical when there's bad capacitors in the signal path, especially if the louder sound sort of forces it to work again. however there's a handful of other things that could be causing this as well (bad ICs or failing power supply is another one).

if it still mostly works then it shouldn't be too difficult for any decent pro audio tech. expect bench prices to be $50-80 just to check it out, repair costs are usually per hour anywhere from $50 and up. I wouldn't expect it to be (and it SHOULDN'T be) more than a couple hundred bucks to fix and it'd be totally worth it. where are you located?
meatwarp

Postby syntheticsolutions » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 pm

I have had a similar issue with my CS-15, I traced it down to the HP/LP/BP filter switch. They easily collect dust and dirt, once it is in there, it can not get out. This used to stop the audible signal getting to the output on mine.

I am not sure if you have the same problem but try cleaning out the switch and seeing if that does the trick.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby Dr. Phibes » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:37 pm

syntheticsolutions wrote:I have had a similar issue with my CS-15, I traced it down to the HP/LP/BP filter switch. They easily collect dust and dirt, once it is in there, it can not get out. This used to stop the audible signal getting to the output on mine.

I am not sure if you have the same problem but try cleaning out the switch and seeing if that does the trick.

Yeah mine does that do; must be the type of switch they used.
Dr. Phibes

Postby syntheticsolutions » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 pm

I should have mentioned, after cleaning the switches out on mine, it worked perfectly
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Return to Gear Services & Other Goods