Virus B Vs. Snow

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Virus B Vs. Snow

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 am

Hi guys :D

Ok so I'm just after some people's opinions here as I'm aware of the technical differences etc.

I currently have a Virus B desktop, but am thinking of getting a Snow - I really love the ethereal pad sounds in this vid especially;

Watch on youtube.com

Now I haven't had the chance to dig into my B much (setting up a new studio atm), but from what I did try it didn't wow me like the sounds in that vid do. I understand that there are fancy FX and wavetables, hypersaw's etc. going on in the Snow, but still I hear of a lot of people on forums and such saying they prefer the tone of the older B to the new Ti's. Although I'm not sure how much truth there is in that.

I've got a JP-8000 and V-Synth for other VA tones so I'm not massively concerned there, I guess you could say I'm more after "special" pad sounds, modern bass's etc than your bog standard bread and butter Moog/Prophet emulations.

...Also I've gotta say the Ti thing allures me too as I do work primarily ITB with Logic, but again how stable/reliable that is in practice depends on who's opinion you believe it seems.

Anyway, If I got the Snow I'd probably sell the B to fund it. Hence my dilemma.

I guess put simply, does the Snow miss anything the B can do?

Opinions anyone? :)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Advertisement:

Re: Virus B Vs. Snow

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 am

Snow: wavetables, hypersaw, analog filter emulation, more filter modes, ti (when it works)

Virus B: front panel controls

Many of the pads sound like wavetable pads. If you're not that interested in the hypersaw (since you have a JP8k) you could probably consider adding a Blofeld to your setup instead.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Access Virus Indigo
Korg M3-61 , MS2000BR
Emu XL-7
Oberheim Matrix 6r
Yamaha TG-33, Kawai K3m
Blofeld, Micron, Mopho
Band: Eridani V

Postby Hybrid88 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks, yeah I guess I've pretty much made my mind up on it. Just hoping I don't miss the B more than anything as it is in mint condition and they are hard to get around these parts.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm

People always prefer the old one esp. if they can't afford the new one...go read the recent thread on psychology of decisions.

I had the Snow and it's great. It can read all B patches you might have, too.

What you'll lose of course is the knobs, but if you're using a DAW the TI plugin really does work. I found myself just working with that all the time.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:27 pm

meatballfulton wrote:People always prefer the old one esp. if they can't afford the new one...go read the recent thread on psychology of decisions.

ha yes that does seem to be true ;)

meatballfulton wrote:What you'll lose of course is the knobs, but if you're using a DAW the TI plugin really does work. I found myself just working with that all the time.

Oh awesome, yes I do believe I'm sold. Would be nice to keep the B, but as I try and keep reminding myself I can't keep it all, and if I'm not using it much, only makes sense to swap it for something I will. :)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Return to Synth Shootouts