Synth for soundscapes ($600 and under)

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Synth for soundscapes ($600 and under)

Postby ryryoftokyo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:02 am

*edit* HATE YOU, DROPBOX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uv2mqkfterzl8 ... 174426.jpg

As promised. Can't see the Ace Tone or Stylophone in this one, I'm afraid.
32 MU modular system, Electribe (EA-1 and EMX), Microbrute, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, MS20, AN1x, Poly 61 (x2), JX8P, Split-8, DX7, Alpha Juno 2, microkorg, Conn Electric Band, TR-505, Ace Tone FR-3, Monotron Delay, Beatstep
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Advertisement:

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:55 am

xanadu97 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
xanadu97 wrote:Modular.

What modular can you get that's good for soundscapes for under $600? :?:

MFOS Sound Lab II or Sound Lab Ultimate if you can solder, and if you can't there are some already built on Ebay and Etsy. There's also the Pittsburgh Synthesizer Block for $300, Doepfer A-111-5 (Dark Energy module) for $500. And then there are all the cheap CMOS and NAND oscillators that are great for drones and soundscapes.

So none then? :D
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby pflosi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:08 pm

^ And again: Nord Modular :thumbright:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:11 am

The Nord modular is such a great synth for the price, love my G2. Everyone should have one, it fills so many functional gaps in my setup.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby pflosi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am

Exactly. And it's awesome for soundscapes.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Jabberwalky » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Soundscapes, to me, are always sounds that change dramatically over a long period of time. This requires a synth with a ton of mod capabilities, but also a pretty decent filter. I'm assuming you have your Delays/Reverb fx covered. $600 and under, you're looking at a few vintage polys, and a lot of VA synths.

I always suggest the an1x, but you have that already...so what are you using it for? That's its biggest strength. Especially by adding those very human FreeEG modulations. The Blofeld will cover everything as well.

I can't believe that's your live rig. That sounds like a fucking nightmare. I'm sure it sounds cool though.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby ryryoftokyo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Soundscapes, to me, are always sounds that change dramatically over a long period of time. This requires a synth with a ton of mod capabilities, but also a pretty decent filter. I'm assuming you have your Delays/Reverb fx covered. $600 and under, you're looking at a few vintage polys, and a lot of VA synths.

I always suggest the an1x, but you have that already...so what are you using it for? That's its biggest strength. Especially by adding those very human FreeEG modulations. The Blofeld will cover everything as well.

I can't believe that's your live rig. That sounds like a fucking nightmare. I'm sure it sounds cool though.

I need to go through my AN1x and decide which sounds I want to overwrite. For the longest time it was my only synth with a proper, tempo synced arpeggiator, so it was used primarily for that and very sharp leads. I hate to say, but I ignored this thing as a soundscapes machine, with a few exceptions. I think it's time I get back into using that Free EG again. Or maybe I should just buy ANOTHER AN1x :lol:

Oh, and it is a nightmare to take with me. It takes two cars to fit the synths, my bags/cases, stands, and PA. To top it off, I generally don't get paid for my gigs.
32 MU modular system, Electribe (EA-1 and EMX), Microbrute, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, MS20, AN1x, Poly 61 (x2), JX8P, Split-8, DX7, Alpha Juno 2, microkorg, Conn Electric Band, TR-505, Ace Tone FR-3, Monotron Delay, Beatstep
ryryoftokyo

Postby spookyman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:22 pm

A very good synth for soundscapes that cost unter $600?

--> Yamaha EX5

A soundscape - atmospheric - ambien monster synth. And the keyboard is also not bad (the same keyboard than the SY-77). The integrated FX unit in the EX5 ist perfect taylored for soundscapes.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby ryryoftokyo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:07 pm

spookyman wrote:A very good synth for soundscapes that cost unter $600?

--> Yamaha EX5

A soundscape - atmospheric - ambien monster synth. And the keyboard is also not bad (the same keyboard than the SY-77). The integrated FX unit in the EX5 ist perfect taylored for soundscapes.

I just looked at the run down on VSE and I'm interested. Any good demos I should hear of it?
ryryoftokyo

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:45 pm

This one is the classic...

Watch on youtube.com
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby philip » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Korg Trinity maybe?

Watch on youtube.com
philip

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts