Akai Synth Station 49 vs. Samson Carbon 49

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Akai Synth Station 49 vs. Samson Carbon 49

Postby Z » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 pm

Currently, I've been using a Roland Gaia sitting atop my Yamaha CP-70, but the 3 octave keyboard is quite annoying. There's room atop the piano for a 4 octave keyboard and was thinking of getting one of these keyboards and use iPad apps as sound engine.

Does anyone have experience with either? Do they work well with most music apps? I'd mainly be using Sunrizer, DM-1, PPG WaveGenerator and AniMoog.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Advertisement:

Re: Akai Synth Station 49 vs. Samson Carbon 49

Postby Z » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Anyone?
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Z,

I bought a SynthStation 25 and it worked fine with the few music apps I tried. I was using an iPod Touch, though and found the tiny size of both units a PITA and quickly abandoned the idea of actually playing music with it.

The 49 is pretty sweet for older iPads, not sure what Akai has come up with to deal with the Lightning connectors of newer iPads/phones. Ah, the joys of hitching your cart to computer industry standards that change every year or so :shock: But it has a nice keybed similar to other MPKs. The Samsons I have tried have the same crap feel as the M-Audio and Alesis controllers, if that matters at all to you.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby griffin avid » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:08 am

I have the Synthstation 49 and the MPK 49 and the reviews/comparisons are dead on.
The synthstation feels similar but is of a lighter build (quality and weight).
It works fine with all apps, but it's hit or miss for what buttons/faders will work with what.

It's been some time since I checked it so I don't know if anything has changed when it comes to mapping knobs to controls in the different apps. The one thing that TOTALLY disappointed me was- how the synthstation doesn't seem tailor made for the iMPC. The pads DO NOT line up or order in any sensible fashion [AKAI has always been that way to be honest] and there is not a one-for-one with any parts of the control surface.

I'm going to check into if there's been any progress in that area.
There's an adapter that plugs into the lightning iPad port and the synthstation will hold your iPad fine, but there is a gap at the point of connection. It's fine sitting on a desk.

Let me know your thoughts if you did pick one up.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to Synth Shootouts