Access Virus TI2 - Really?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Access Virus TI2 - Really?

Postby richradio2001 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to spend money on a new synth and think I'm looking at anything up to £2000. Currently I'm liking the look of the Access Virus TI2, however, having done some reading around it I find it is now 4 years old - think it was released in 2009. I've therefore a few questions relating to this:

1. Does anyone think this keyboard is still worth the £1950 that it still sells for?
2. Does anyone know if Access are planning to release a new version soon - have they really not released anything for 4 years?
3. Would anyone recommend anything else other than this keyboard that sits within my budget? Relating to this:
- I particularly like virtual analogue sounds and like the ability to create sounds.
- I'm not a big fan of pressing buttons - one of the reasons I prefer the dial/knob UI rather than the LCD UI.
- I like dirty sounds - really like contrasting dirty with smooth/shiny sounds - the ability to do both would be great.
- I'd like to think anything I buy would be a keeper....

Any thoughts, ideas, help - greatly appreciated!!!

Kind Regards

Richard.
richradio2001

Advertisement:

Re: Access Virus TI2 - Really?

Postby Hybrid88 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Looks like you've done your research. ;)

One thing I'll add though is that I wouldn't buy a Ti2 until next NAMM hits (music trade show in January 2014). Bound to be an update pretty soon I would think.

But yeah, brilliant synth, covers a lot of sonic ground, a keeper? Maybe. But one thing is for sure, when a replacement model comes out, it won't look quite so appealing anymore. Still, they do hold their value quite well.

Maybe one of the earlier models would be an option, a used B or C perhaps, maybe even a Waldorf XTK, Nord Lead or Roland JP-8000, all good machines in their own way.

All things for you to mull over :)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby ninja6485 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:But yeah, brilliant synth, covers a lot of sonic ground, a keeper? Maybe. But one thing is for sure, when a replacement model comes out, it won't look quite so appealing anymore. Still, they do hold their value quite well.
I don't know, I bought my TI new, and tried to sell it a few years ago, and would have had to lose almost a grand to price it competitively. It was just better to keep it, but in all fairness I really can't deny that it's an awesome synth. Actually, I can't figure out what the TI2 offers over the TI that would justify spending the extra cost. (Holy alternative option, batman!)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby rob_lee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

richradio2001 wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking to spend money on a new synth and think I'm looking at anything up to £2000. Currently I'm liking the look of the Access Virus TI2, however, having done some reading around it I find it is now 4 years old - think it was released in 2009. I've therefore a few questions relating to this:

1. Does anyone think this keyboard is still worth the £1950 that it still sells for?
2. Does anyone know if Access are planning to release a new version soon - have they really not released anything for 4 years?
3. Would anyone recommend anything else other than this keyboard that sits within my budget? Relating to this:
- I particularly like virtual analogue sounds and like the ability to create sounds.
- I'm not a big fan of pressing buttons - one of the reasons I prefer the dial/knob UI rather than the LCD UI.
- I like dirty sounds - really like contrasting dirty with smooth/shiny sounds - the ability to do both would be great.
- I'd like to think anything I buy would be a keeper....

Any thoughts, ideas, help - greatly appreciated!!!

Kind Regards

Richard.

I have the TI2 Polar and TI2 Desktop here. Well worth the money IMO. You want BIG sounds and all the above you mention then this synth will do you for all of that. I read forums about soft synths sounding like the Virus but nothing does TBH.. anyone saying otherwise are clearly plain stupid. The Polar or 61 note KB is nearly £2k and the desktop around £1300, if you have a midi KB then the desktop is a great choice saving quite a bit cash you can put toward something else. Also you could consider the TI Snow, only 4 parts in the VC and half the DSP but still, this will get you the sounds you want.

Its quite and investment but well worth it, i can't see any new TI models coming before 2015, i already spoke to the developers who were hush hush but they say nothing next year (2014) is planned.

If you don't want the Virus control software then shop for a Virus B or C they're also a great buy!

PS

Did you consider a Novation Supernova II ? I have these too and although 13yrs old are top sounding synths and i just seen one come up on Ebay for £550, i'd be all over it if i didn't already own one.

All the best

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby richradio2001 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi,

thanks for replies....

i will check out other mentioned synths. I had read that the difference between a virus B/C compared to the TI is a world apart.....but guess might be one persons view.

what do you think a good price would be for a second hand TI2 keyboard?

cheers

Richard
richradio2001

Postby rob_lee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:39 pm

richradio2001 wrote:Hi,

thanks for replies....

i will check out other mentioned synths. I had read that the difference between a virus B/C compared to the TI is a world apart.....but guess might be one persons view.

what do you think a good price would be for a second hand TI2 keyboard?

cheers

Richard

Well i know someone who sold a Polar TI2 37 key for £1300 which was £99 less than i paid for the desktop. They come up on Ebay though so i think you could keep an eye out there. I'd pay up to £1100 for a desktop if i was wanting one. Truly amazing sound though :-)

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby Alex E » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:48 pm

I'd say just get a C or a TI1. The TI2 doesn't really offer much in terms of improvement considering how much higher the price tag is.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby richradio2001 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Right

I've heard people say not much difference between ti1/2. Ti2 has more processing power i believe.
must say I've never seen a ti1 for sale...anyone know where i might find one and how much i should be paying?

Rich
richradio2001

Postby Alex E » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 pm

You need to look for them on places like Craigslist and eBay. Reasonable used prices for TI polars and TI Keyboards seem to be around $1300 to $1500.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby richradio2001 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi...thanks.

strangely I've just found a T1 61 keyboard for £800.

sounds like it might be a decent deal. Looks in good nick. Just a few surface marks...

very tempting. What you think?

rich.
richradio2001

Postby Alex E » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 pm

That's a very fair price. By all means, go for it! :D
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby richradio2001 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:15 am

Hi,

I may not get the chance as I'm in a queue! First come first served.... :(

Anyway, on a slightly different (but same) note (excusing the pun) - I could get a the desktop version + controller keyboard for the same price. However, my main use is for live performance and I'd rather:

a) Only a maximum of 2 units, i.e., 2 keyboards
b) Only have 1 keyboard stand
c) Have the controls at my finger tips - I know the desktop has the same control knobs etc but I still think there is a difference between having them on a separate unit as opposed to right in front of you on the keyboard....

Do you think therefore this would rule out the desktop version for me - I'm thinking it would probably add set up faffiness and extra bulk....

Cheers

Richard
richradio2001

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:21 am

Well, the Virus TI Kb is a nice keyboard but you can either put it on the desk, ot put a shelf on your second tier and line stuff up...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby richradio2001 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi,

Well...guess I could buy a shelf.

I have read several threads which suggest that the TI keyboard is great and well worth the money - I'm definitely in the camp that loves weighty/touchy-feely keys - I believe the TI is semi-weighted.

On a slightly different note: if you were looking at a second hand TI and TI2 how much more money would you consider paying for a TI2 - e.g. if I could get a TI2 for £1200 and a TI1 for £800 - which would you go for.

As always I guess it depends on what you're using it for and how it sites in your set up - these questions are never straight forward are they!?

I think I'm tending towards getting a TI1 as everything I've read so far seems to suggest the extra money isn't worth it...but I suppose it's all down to "how much more money"!?
richradio2001

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:34 pm

My quick answer is how much simultaneous polyphony are you wanting in your Virus and how much do you expect to use the more complex effects like Atomizer?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide