JX-3P VS Polysix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: JX-3P VS Polysix

Postby Dr. Phibes » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:33 am

pinksoir wrote:@Dr. Phibes

Good to know the KIWI mod is worth it. I bought the 3P from Modeless Factory and he said he'd install KIWI for no labour charge as he's overhauling the synth anyway. It is ~€200 extra though. I was considering waiting til I get the synth and seeing how it is without the KIWI mod first though. Which would you recommend?

Yeah that's cost price as far as I can tell. I know it's pricey compared to the actual cost of the synth but things like an additional EG generator, 2 assingnable LFOs with additional waveforms, fine tune on both DCOs, clockable arpeggiator and all the other fancy stuff + hugely expanded patch storage is great. Unfortunately, it can be bit fiddly what with the limited control interface and most of the original control labels are no longer applicable.
Dr. Phibes

Advertisement:

Postby pinksoir » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 pm

@ ppg_wavecomputer

That's exactly my fear about the P6, that it's a deluxe stringer. It can do quite a bit of other cool stuff too of course, but it does have that particular 'sound' to it that's inescapable.

@Dr. Phibes

Yeah, what the upgrade adds does seem like it'd be extremely useful to me. One thing I'm wondering about is, do you have a PG-200 and how do you go about changing the extra new parameters? Is it a case of having to do it via the input buttons/data slider or can any of them be controlled by the PG?
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Oberheim Xpander,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm

pinksoir wrote:@ ppg_wavecomputer

That's exactly my fear about the P6, that it's a deluxe stringer. It can do quite a bit of other cool stuff too of course, but it does have that particular 'sound' to it that's inescapable.
[...]

Bear in mind that the P6 needs the Ensemble section turned on all the time in order to compensate for the lack of a second oscillator. This inevitably leads to a certain "sameness" of sounds, and the character of the Ensemble section tends to be a bit too much at times as well. TheJX3P is differnet in that it also boasts an on-board Chorus but I find myself turning it off more often than once because its sound is so obtrusive.

There´s a CS50 in your kit list... if you want something lush-sounding, you don´t need to look any further IMO. This is one gorgeous instrument. The JX is a bit more portable, though (and perhaps a tad more reliable).

Maybe you want to expand the digital end a bit instead?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby pinksoir » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah, I love my CS50 but it has its drawbacks, not least its size and weight. I mean, it's a PITA even bringing it to another studio for recording so I tend to track it in my home studio. I'd hate to bring it on the road. No presets either which is a bummer for live. Also, I'm getting in to MIDI more and more. I guess the Volca Keys and to a lesser extent Silent Way, opened my eyes to how great that is, tweaking sequences live etc. I tended to play everything by hand before and then quantise ITB if needed. All my sequencing was done with VSTs.

So the 3P will be my gigging synth and pretty much my first MIDI capable synth too. I was never totally sold on the Roland sound before, but I've been using the TAL UNO-LX plugin a lot lately and it's been making it on to more and more of my songs. It's pretty close as far as VSTs go, the studio I do work in has a Juno 60 (no MIDI) but so far we've just used the UNO-LX as it approximates the sound well enough, especially when it's not a major player in the mix.

I'm actually really excited about my 3P though because it just sounds so damn versatile and quite beautiful too. But it can also cover the bread and butter sounds of the Juno pretty well itself so I feel like I'll be covering quite a lot of the ground I need covered with one synth.

Don't get me wrong, it'll never replace my CS50 (which I will never ever part with), but I've been wanting a little more variety tone wise lately and I'm convinced the 3P will give me that with more to spare.

Regarding digital... I dunno, I've never been that pushed on it tbh. Though I was considering a Mutable Ambika before I even thought about a 3P, and it was the idea of having a greater range of waveforms to choose from going through a nice analogue filter that drew me to it. I also thought about a DW series. So maybe a hybrid will be on the horizon next for me... It would have to be a module though, really. I'm gonna find it hard to fit in the 3P as it is!

Gear lust. It's a hell of a drug.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Oberheim Xpander,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:04 pm

pinksoir wrote:Yeah, I love my CS50 but it has its drawbacks, not least its size and weight. I mean, it's a PITA even bringing it to another studio for recording so I tend to track it in my home studio. [...]

It could be worse. It could be a CS80.

I can carry the 50 upstairs on my own, two flights of stairs.

But then again, I´m a Hun.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby pinksoir » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Haha. Hun blood courses through my veins, but it has been watered down over the generations. Instead I have the Irish outlook of "I could carry it up two flights of stairs, but I'd rather not".
pinksoir

Oberheim Xpander,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 pm

pinksoir wrote:[...] Instead I have the Irish outlook of "I could carry it up two flights of stairs, but I'd rather not".

Wise men the Irish are indeed.

Nearly no cases of hernia known.

Stephen
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby Dr. Phibes » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:47 pm

pinksoir wrote:@Dr. Phibes

Yeah, what the upgrade adds does seem like it'd be extremely useful to me. One thing I'm wondering about is, do you have a PG-200 and how do you go about changing the extra new parameters? Is it a case of having to do it via the input buttons/data slider or can any of them be controlled by the PG?

I've never had the PG-200 but it does say it's supported on the KIWI website.

Also if you're getting into MIDI the upgrade adds a whole host MIDI stuff that's far more up to date than basic implementation on the original.

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:This inevitably leads to a certain "sameness" of sounds, and the character of the Ensemble section tends to be a bit too much at times as well.

Hmm,I don't know if I'd go that far but you have point. That said, this thread has actually encouraged me to dig out the P6 again and I'm really quite enjoying it. Sometimes it's nice to go back to basics and just play.
Dr. Phibes

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

pinksoir wrote:Regarding digital... I dunno, I've never been that pushed on it tbh. Though I was considering a Mutable Ambika before I even thought about a 3P, and it was the idea of having a greater range of waveforms to choose from going through a nice analogue filter that drew me to it. I also thought about a DW series. So maybe a hybrid will be on the horizon next for me... It would have to be a module though, really. I'm gonna find it hard to fit in the 3P as it is!

It's my opinion that digital/analog/hybrid are just different parts of a balanced sonic breakfast. The trick is finding the digital synths that are really digital synths and not just poor reimplementations of analog. The DX7, for example - doesn't sound a damn thing like a traditional analog subtractive synth, even when you try to imitate that sound with it, but there's a whole world of sounds in FM synthesis that you'll never get on an analog. Or the D-50 - it borrows the notion of subtractive synthesis, but implements it in a way that sounds nothing like any real analog filter I've ever heard, yet is good on its own merits and instantly recognizable, and then supplements with some excellent PCM sounds and digital FX. Those keyboards aren't trying to be analog, they're finding ways to exploit the strengths of digital sound. That's how you do it.

Hybrid is excellent, too - I really need to get my DW-8000 all fixed up, even the little that I've gotten to play around with it has been incredible.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Kenneth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:38 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
pinksoir wrote:@ ppg_wavecomputer

[...]

Bear in mind that the P6 needs the Ensemble section turned on all the time in order to compensate for the lack of a second oscillator. This inevitably leads to a certain "sameness" of sounds, and the character of the Ensemble section tends to be a bit too much at times as well. TheJX3P is differnet in that it also boasts an on-board Chorus but I find myself turning it off more often than once because its sound is so obtrusive.

There´s a CS50 in your kit list... if you want something lush-sounding, you don´t need to look any further IMO. This is one gorgeous instrument. The JX is a bit more portable, though (and perhaps a tad more reliable).

Maybe you want to expand the digital end a bit instead?

Stephen

Also bear in mind that, in addition to the famous ensemble effect, the Polysix has an onboard chorus and phaser. Not to be overlooked, as they can provide a lot of tonal variation that you're not going to get by just leaving the ensemble switched on all the time.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. JP-8000. Microbrute. Monotribe. Machinedrum
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby polyjuno » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:28 pm

That's an important point. I was initially a bit disappointed with the P6, feeling that it was a bit of a one trick pony: great for 70s strings, pads, organs and the like, but not particularly versatile. Turning off the ensemble effect felt weird because of the lack of its sheer power; everything sounded weak and bland in comparison. When you get used to it (and if necessary compensate for it with external processing), and play around a bit with the other onboard effects, it does lend itself to some surprising sounds.

Haven't tried a JX3P yet though. I'm a bit interested in that one, as it seems to incorporate some of the Juno-sound as well as being a lot more versatile (too bad about not having PWM or self oscillating filter though).
polyjuno

Gear: Bass Station 2
Juno-6
Roland TR-606, Yamaha RX11
Fender Telecaster

Postby antilles » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I'd be happy to trade my JX-3P including the PG-200 programmer for a fully working Polysix.
antilles

Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Bass Station Rack, JX-8P, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Postby Kenneth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:13 am

polyjuno wrote:That's an important point. I was initially a bit disappointed with the P6, feeling that it was a bit of a one trick pony: great for 70s strings, pads, organs and the like, but not particularly versatile. Turning off the ensemble effect felt weird because of the lack of its sheer power; everything sounded weak and bland in comparison. When you get used to it (and if necessary compensate for it with external processing), and play around a bit with the other onboard effects, it does lend itself to some surprising sounds.

Haven't tried a JX3P yet though. I'm a bit interested in that one, as it seems to incorporate some of the Juno-sound as well as being a lot more versatile (too bad about not having PWM or self oscillating filter though).

Being completely honest, I use my Polysix on almost all of my recordings, and I very, very rarely have the ensemble switched on. Most of the time I just have it set to a subtle chorus, otherwise the effects section is usually off. I really get a lot out of the pulse width modulation on the P6, and I'm also really big on slow, shallow triangle waves modulating VCO frequency. I think if I had to choose a favorite function, or at least one I find most useful, it would be the chord memory. This really makes up for the lack of a second oscillator, even though it forces you into monophony. Reeeally makes me wish the Polysix had glide... There is a lot you can do with the Polysix apart from 70's string sounds, and anyone who says otherwise probably doesn't know enough about subtractive synthesis to really dive in and have some fun.
Last edited by Kenneth on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. JP-8000. Microbrute. Monotribe. Machinedrum
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby pflosi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Kenneth wrote:I think if I had to choose a favorite function, or at least one I find most useful, is the chord memory.

So true, I love all synths with this function. Instant deepness! Out of my synths, the P6, A6 and Alpha Juno do have it and it is beautiful on all of them. On the A6, you can still play poly with chord memory engaged, which is obviously the tits! :headbang:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:17 am

JX-3P all day everyday. I don't have either anymore, but I just found the Polysix to be limited tonally, and unlike a Juno which has very similar limitations in architecture, the Polysix didn't sit so well in my tracks. The JX excelled to my ears at least at weird haunting pads, crazy FX. Unique stuff to say the least.

The P6's arp is great though, and I did like the aggressive bass tones, but still, JX all the way. But if you need a VCO poly, grab a Prophet 600 and be done with it. ;)
Zmeinogorsk

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts