ensoniq sq80 no output

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

ensoniq sq80 no output

Postby rap and country » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 am

i removed a dying battery from my sq80 about a year ago and it was working 100% until that point

it has been sitting unused/untouched for about a year until i finally ordered a replacement which i installed yesterday

i plugged in the keyboard connector backwards :evil: and blew F3 / F4, but have replaced them and now it appears to power up normally

problem now is i am getting zero output, both from the keyboard and external MIDI

MIDI out seems to be working fine

any ideas on what to check?

thanks in advance
rap and country

Advertisement:

Re: ensoniq sq80 no output

Postby synthparts » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 am

You could have blown the CEM3360 output VCA. Do you have another synth with one you can swap in to check? I have them in stock if you need one...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby rhino » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 am

Strange thing you might try: unplug and clean both ends of the 4-wire cable from the display board to the mainboard. Reason? the volume is controled by a DC voltage from the volume pot to a stereo VCA in the output. Ensoniq had a real problem with connectors corroding - if there is a poor connection on this cable (which carries the volume and data voltages) - you could loose the volume.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby rap and country » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:35 am

rhino wrote:Strange thing you might try: unplug and clean both ends of the 4-wire cable from the display board to the mainboard. Reason? the volume is controled by a DC voltage from the volume pot to a stereo VCA in the output. Ensoniq had a real problem with connectors corroding - if there is a poor connection on this cable (which carries the volume and data voltages) - you could loose the volume.

this worked! thanks all
rap and country

Return to HELP!