Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:53 am

I know it's apples and oranges, but I'm having a hard time deciding if selling my JX-8P (+PG 800) in favour of a Waldorf keyboard is a good idea. I'd love an XTK, but if not a Blofeld. I'm just thinking the JX-8P overlaps too much with the other synths in my setup...

I've got a Juno 60, 2 x Prophet 600, Pro One, 20mini and the JX. Although I've learned to love the JX, I find myself going towards either the 600 or 60 for all my analog pad duties, something the JX obviously excels at. The 600 gives me a sound that has some bite, while the 60 gives me pleasant chorus drenched pads. The obvious answer is to sell one Prophet, but I wanted to upgrade both my 600s with the firmware update and then chain them together. Sad, I know.

I've since decided that what's missing from my setup is something digital, especially with the departure of my ESQ. I'd prefer a unit with plenty of knobs, but I'd settle for a Blofeld-esque synth. I do love the wavetable sound, and definitely think it will add a dimension that is lacking from my overall sound. Funnily enough the JX can get some near digital sounds, and can get pretty crazy with it's modulation capabilities....but I still go to it for pads. :oops:

What would you do? Does the JX overlap too much with my current synth setup? Should I keep and just learn to love the JX instead?
Zmeinogorsk

Advertisement:

Re: Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:16 am

Do the Prophets or the Pro One have anything like the JX's sync/cross-mod abilities? (I'm not super-familiar with SCI stuff.) I've been impressed by the sounds you can get out of it using those - I got some quite nice drum sounds by exploiting the sync+Xmod setting and thickening them up with chorus. If the Prophet 600s will do you for jack-of-all-trades I suppose you could do without the JX, but it really is quite a versatile synth.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Steve Jones » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:24 am

Why not get rid of one of the Prophet 600's rather than the JX-8P and then you won't lose anything?
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

http://www.synthrepairs.com
Steve Jones

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:26 am

Steve Jones wrote:Why not get rid of one of the Prophet 600's rather than the JX-8P and then you won't lose anything?

He said he'd like to chain the Prophets together...
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:18 am

I was in a similar position last year, with a couple of Junos, a JX-10 w/PG, and a whole bunch of nice analogues that covered pretty much everything. Digital-wise, I had a DX-7 and DW-8000, I think. The DW sounded great but did not get much real use, so I sold it and bought a Blofeld (partly a space issue).

I ended up selling the JX. I sometimes ask myself why. It sounded glorious and was a pleasure to play. For me though, it was almost too nice. I think with a Juno 60 you can get those soft pads easily enough, and that Roland finish, and if your other synths do edgier things well, then the JX is sounding like overlap, however much you like it.

As for the Blofeld, the DW had more balls somehow but was hard to fit in with my other things. The Blofeld is also a bit of a black sheep, really. Depends on your style. There are some good PPG-alike sounds to be had in there, and I prefer its "PPG" filter model to the regular 24dB LP. It's versatile but not much fun to program. I had an XT for a while too, and I didn't care for the programming on that either, but I did like the sound - perhaps more so than the Blofeld, though I never had them alongside.

If nothing else, the Blofeld would be a reasonably priced digital addition to your setup, though resale value is not so great.

Have you considered the Evolver? I had a MEK for a few years, was very good. Ultimately not my cup of tea, but did lots. The Evolvers have the Prophet VS waves in there, though you can't sweep them like wavetables. But they do have analogue filters, which is one of the aspects of the Blofeld I feel lacking. It's smoother than the XT I think, but has a better display for editing. The interface on all these things is like painting through a letterbox, though. Even the XT, because all those knobs are the wrong ones. Ha!
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby GuyaGuy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:44 pm

1 Sell the PG800
2 Buy an iPad
3 Buy Waldorf Nave
4 Buy iPG-800
5 BOOM! You got the Waldorf sound and still have the JX8P
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Genius.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Thanks nathanscribe for the input! It's good to hear you went through a similar dilemma. I have thought of the MEK, but I had a Mopho keyboard for a number of months, and it didn't do it for me so I never really dug into other new DSI offerings. The addition of the VS waves would be nice, I'd admit. Do the encoders on these synths cause as many problems as everyone claims? I guess the same could be said for the Blofeld.

Anyways, it's something to think about.
Zmeinogorsk

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:49 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:1 Sell the PG800
2 Buy an iPad
3 Buy Waldorf Nave
4 Buy iPG-800

Lol. :lol:
Zmeinogorsk

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:51 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Do the Prophets or the Pro One have anything like the JX's sync/cross-mod abilities? (I'm not super-familiar with SCI stuff.) I've been impressed by the sounds you can get out of it using those - I got some quite nice drum sounds by exploiting the sync+Xmod setting and thickening them up with chorus. If the Prophet 600s will do you for jack-of-all-trades I suppose you could do without the JX, but it really is quite a versatile synth.

Prophet 600s don't have as many routing options as the JX, but enough to make some unique sounds. I was mucking about with my JX and yeah I was able to get some really nice snare/hat sounds, kicks not quite so good. Hmmm/
Zmeinogorsk

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:01 pm

I got a pretty solid kick using the old self-oscillation trick plus unison and chorus. I can get you the patch settings.
commodorejohn

Postby ninja6485 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Do the Prophets or the Pro One have anything like the JX's sync/cross-mod abilities? (I'm not super-familiar with SCI stuff.) I've been impressed by the sounds you can get out of it using those - I got some quite nice drum sounds by exploiting the sync+Xmod setting and thickening them up with chorus. If the Prophet 600s will do you for jack-of-all-trades I suppose you could do without the JX, but it really is quite a versatile synth.

Prophet 600s don't have as many routing options as the JX, but enough to make some unique sounds. I was mucking about with my JX and yeah I was able to get some really nice snare/hat sounds, kicks not quite so good. Hmmm/
Did you mess with the Toms preset at all? I seldom go to the JX for drum sounds, but I keep meaning to explore that preset for bass drum like textures.

commodorejohn wrote:I got a pretty solid kick using the old self-oscillation trick plus unison and chorus. I can get you the patch settings.
. I would be interested in hearing this! I usually keep unison/ chorus sounds out of the low end unless I want to do something really trippy. Does the bass drum play nicely with other sounds in its frequency range?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:02 pm

ninja6485 wrote:I would be interested in hearing this! I usually keep unison/ chorus sounds out of the low end unless I want to do something really trippy. Does the bass drum play nicely with other sounds in its frequency range?

Yeah, it's a pretty restrained acoustic-style kick (I've never cared for 808-style kicks because of how difficult they are to work around in the low end.) Here's the parameters:
Code: Select all
Tone:
Parameter Value
11        16'
12        Square
13        0
14        0
15        0
21        16'
22        Noise
23        Off
24        0
25        -7
26        0
27        0
31        Off
32        ^-1
41        99
42        43
43        99
44        2
45        ^-2
51        0
52        21
53        24
54        0
55        86
56        0
57        1
58        ^-1
61        99
62        ^-2
63        2
64        2
71        Square
72        0
73        78
81        0
82        3
83        0
84        18
85        Off
91        0
92        20
93        0
94        20
95        Off

Patch:
Parameter Value
43        Unison 1
44        -3
commodorejohn

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:The addition of the VS waves would be nice, I'd admit. Do the encoders on these synths cause as many problems as everyone claims?

I had no trouble at all with the MEK.

The original rack version of the Waldorf Microwave had analogue filters but otherwise is more limited than the subsequent models. My personal view of the XT was that it sounded good, particularly when using the filters sparingly. The Blofeld doesn't have the same grit/bite as the XT, but the emulated PPG filter is nice. The XT has 4 outputs, the Blofeld 2. The Blofeld is easier to edit. The Blofeld keyboard has horrible pitch & mod wheels; I use the module with a 73-note controller. Auditioning wavetables on either machine is easier if you set up a patch routing the mod wheel to wave position.

You could get some FM and lo-fi sampling in there too... :D
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:21 am

Zmeinogorsk wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:1 Sell the PG800
2 Buy an iPad
3 Buy Waldorf Nave
4 Buy iPG-800

Lol. :lol:

It wasn't entirely in jest. The iPG-800 makes a nice controller. You'd only be out $100 (or $0 if you get a used iPad). If you ever decided that the Nave doesn't fit the bill there's a PPG synth too--and a controller for the Blofeld!

Having said that, I don't know if I'd need a Juno 60 AND a JX-8P.

nathanscribe wrote:
Zmeinogorsk wrote:The addition of the VS waves would be nice, I'd admit. Do the encoders on these synths cause as many problems as everyone claims?

I had no trouble at all with the MEK.

And you can always get the Pot Edition. Or upgrade. But I think it was mostly the early MEKs that had the encoder issues. For wavetables, I actually prefer the Evolver to the Blofeld because you can leverage their lo-fi character. The Blofeld tends to be cleaner and chillier.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide