Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:45 am

Thanks Guya Guy. The more and more I look into the PEK the more I'm thinking it's a viable option, 4-note polyphony isn't a deal breaker either, it looks like a beast. But can it also get into DX/TX81Z territory? In particular that classic "bass" patch. ;)
Zmeinogorsk

Advertisement:

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 am

I see your MEK GAS has already become PEK GAS. :lol:

I've not had a DX-type synth. Based on a comparison of recordings of it and my PEK, I'd say you can get a lot of those FM sounds with the PEK. But the waves on the PEK are more lo-fi and often have noticeable aliasing, especially in the higher register. I happen to like that because you can get lots of early lo-fi gritty digi sounds. But there are also tricks to getting getting cleaner sounds--choosing the right wave, filtering, etc. So if you're getting it to be a straight-up DX you'd likely be disappointed, but if you work with its engine you can find lots of clean FM as well as grungy FM sounds.

I've been spending a lot of time with my PEK lately. So many great sound options in there, including classic analog sounds if you know how to work it. And the mod routing, LFOs, and sequencer are just so much damn fun!
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby Jabberwalky » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 am

I've been keeping an eye on those PEKs as well. They seem to be slowly lowering in price. As far as FM sounds, you can get half way there. Lots of the VS waveforms were created with additive synthesis.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:07 am

Perhaps the SY-77 is something to consider. I had an SY-77 and it was a total, utter, beast of a synth. More FM algorithms than the DX-7, multiple waveforms, and samples. Patches made of 4 layers (2 FM, 2 sample) and you can use the samples as FM waves. If you want seriously epic, I suggest you check 'em out. Even better, they're *dirt* cheap for some reason. They sound fantastic. Perfect for soundscapey stuff.

I'm not sure how the Evolvers handle FM-style modulation, I never really tried that. I found their regular-plain-analogue patches to be fine in their own right, but a bit clinical compared to the Moog sound, which I preferred of the two. The Evolvers excel through the extent of their modulation, I think.

Comparing the older DX/TX models to some extent, I've had a TX81Z, TX7, DX7s and SY77. They SY is shiny and glistening but also bitey. The TX7 is 1st-gen DX7 in a box so had a gritty edge to it which sounds really nice, the DX7s is a little cleaner but has unison which *really* brings some patches to life. It can sound nothing at all like an FM synth sometimes, it's surprising how analogue/sampley it can sound. The TX81Z has multiple waves and is 8-part multitimbral (also 8 voice using 4-op FM), has fewer parameters than the 6-op FMs but sounds quite present and forward... you do get the aliasing with high frequencies on these older FM units, which may or may not be a good thing, to taste.

To me the sine-only 4-op FMs always sounded a bit hollow (DX-100, FB-01, etc etc) but the DX11/TX81Z (essentially the same with/without keyboard) and the 6-op boards are worth having. The TX7 sounds good but you need either a DX or software to program it, and it's a bit of a fiddle. They're all cheap and worth trying out though.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:Thanks Guya Guy. The more and more I look into the PEK the more I'm thinking it's a viable option, 4-note polyphony isn't a deal breaker either, it looks like a beast. But can it also get into DX/TX81Z territory? In particular that classic "bass" patch. ;)

I can't speak for the PEK, but I'd say if you want to get into DX/TX81Z territory, just get a DX or TX81Z. The TX81Z in particular is quite cheap for what it offers, or if you want a keyboard (as I did) the Yamaha V50 tends to be nearly as cheap and has greater polyphony and some basic effects. (Not to mention a vastly improved multitimbral MIDI implementation.) A DX7 will set you back more, but get some good patches and it can sound utterly amazing even dry and by itself.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Sir Ruff » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 pm

I would totally sell the JX-8p and get either a Blofeld or (preferably) an XT. You've got that sound covered well elsewhere, and the Waldorf will give you what you miss in the Ensoniq, plus a whole lot more. PEK is not a bad idea, but definitely overtly digital in a way that is pretty idiosyncratic. I was never happy with the analog side, and didn't feel it was a sum of all its parts. The 4-voice polyphony is also too much and too little depending on what you want to do.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby CfNorENa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 am

I'm going to go against the grain of the thread and advise you to keep the JX. As one who owns, or has owned, all of the synths in question -- and as a huge Waldorf fan, I should add -- I think you'd end up missing the JX if you ditched it for a Blofeld. If you never use it, then that's one thing; but I think you might be kidding yourself a bit if you think the Juno 60 and Prophet 600 can cover the JX's sonic territory. There's something so majestic, so smooth, so beautiful, so "professional" about those JX pads!

Then again, JX-8Ps are cheap as chips these days, so if you regretted your decision, it wouldn't be difficult to pick up another one (the PG-800 might be a different matter). But speaking of cheap: you can find used Blofeld modules for under $400. Why not save up a bit and add it to your current setup, without sacrificing anything in the process?
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Postby ryryoftokyo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:35 pm

I can let you know when my Blofield arrives. I have the JX8P and could not part with it. I've gotten some great dreamy textures, extremely unique leads, great sync sounds, basses ranging from snappy to rubbery, and complex FX out of it. I thought I was going to be able to part with it after I got my Juno 60, but no luck. There's just something special about that board.
32 MU modular system, Electribe (EA-1 and EMX), Microbrute, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, MS20, AN1x, Poly 61 (x2), JX8P, Split-8, DX7, Alpha Juno 2, microkorg, Conn Electric Band, TR-505, Ace Tone FR-3, Monotron Delay, Beatstep
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:36 pm

CfNorENa wrote:There's something so majestic, so smooth, so beautiful, so "professional" about those JX pads!

a.k.a. dull... :lol:

It might be fine if that's your only synth, but in his setup, I can't see it being missed.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby CfNorENa » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:52 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
CfNorENa wrote:There's something so majestic, so smooth, so beautiful, so "professional" about those JX pads!

Ha!

Sir Ruff wrote:It might be fine if that's your only synth, but in his setup, I can't see it being missed.

Well, I guess it just goes to show how subjective it all is.

You're right, with a Juno 60 and Prophet 600, he might not miss the JX at all (and he has already said he doesn't use it much). But if you're attached to the particular JX tone (as I have discovered that I am, after selling both a JX-8P and JX-10, and regretting it both times), then both the Juno and the Prophet, to my ears, are particularly ill-suited to covering that sonic territory. So he might miss it after all...
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:23 am

Sir Ruff wrote:

It might be fine if that's your only synth, but in his setup, I can't see it being missed.

:lol: Yeah there are times when the pleasantness of the JX can seem a bit...dull. Although the pads are really nice, I find I don't end up playing too many big pads in my tunes.

I appreciate all the feedback so far folks. Definitely leaning more towards selling the JX. And it's true, these things are pretty much the only synth that regularly show up on Kijiji/Craigslist (in my neck of the woods at least) for sensible $$$. So I could technically rebuy.
Zmeinogorsk

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:30 am

I think people are confusing dull with mellow, frankly. The JX-8/10 doesn't excel at harsh or wild sounds (even the sync sounds seem restrained by comparison with a lot of synths, and it has the most mellow, pure resonance/self-oscillation I've ever heard. No distortion/squeal at all.) But that's a big part of what makes it so great for softer, lusher sounds like pads.

Of course if you really do have that ground covered and would rather save space than keep every option open, you can sell it. But I have to take exception to its being described as "dull." Not so!
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Sir Ruff » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I guess I was using dull to imply overall sonic potential rather than sound, for which maybe mellow and smooth are better terms. Despite what some have said, there's really only so much variety you can wrangle out of a JX8p and I can't see arguing for its pretty limited merits when something like a Blofeld will just knock it out of the water feature-wise.

If you're after knobs, I honestly would hold out for an XT. I was initially not a fan of programming the XTk, but then I realize it was basically an ergonomics thing--the XT in a slanted rack next to a desktop controller is perfect and really begs to be programmed.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I guess I was using dull to imply overall sonic potential rather than sound, for which maybe mellow and smooth are better terms. Despite what some have said, there's really only so much variety you can wrangle out of a JX8p and I can't see arguing for its pretty limited merits when something like a Blofeld will just knock it out of the water feature-wise.

You're less wrong, then, but you're still wrong. No, it's never going to be great at the nasty, crunchy end of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of variety to be had from it. You've got two oscillators, four waveforms, oscillator sync and cross-mod which can also be combined, a self-oscillating resonant lowpass filter, two envelopes, an LFO, and a shit-ton of routing/control options, not to mention on-board chorus. If you can't find variety in that, you're not trying.
commodorejohn

Postby CfNorENa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:08 am

commodorejohn wrote:You've got two oscillators, four waveforms, oscillator sync and cross-mod which can also be combined, a self-oscillating resonant lowpass filter, two envelopes, an LFO, and a shit-ton of routing/control options, not to mention on-board chorus.

And don't forget the highpass filter -- lots of timbral variety there, too.
CfNorENa

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide