JX-3P VS Polysix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: JX-3P VS Polysix

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:13 am

I hear people complain about the lack of oomph! with the JX. Roland seem to have cut the bass and low-mid end by about 3dB, just tweak it right back using an external EQ.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Advertisement:

Postby pinksoir » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:17 pm

Ok, so I was going to get Ko from Modeless to install the KIWI mod for me but he said that the PG-200 doesn't work properly with the mod installed. He said he installed it before and that some of the knobs on the PG don't respond as they should. He then contacted the KIWI peeps and was told that it's a known bug. Does anyone have any experience using the PG-200 with the mod?
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Postby Aaron2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 am

pinksoir wrote:Ok, so I was going to get Ko from Modeless to install the KIWI mod for me but he said that the PG-200 doesn't work properly with the mod installed. He said he installed it before and that some of the knobs on the PG don't respond as they should. He then contacted the KIWI peeps and was told that it's a known bug. Does anyone have any experience using the PG-200 with the mod?

I have the 3P and I used to have a PG-200. Now I have the Kiwitechnics Patch Editor (PE). I can tell you for certain that the JX-3P upgrade is designed to work with the PE, not the PG-200. Why? Because Murray makes money when you buy one of his PEs, but doesn't when you buy an old, used PG-200! :lol:

Seriously, if you're going to get the upgrade, better bite the bullet and get the PE. Plus, the PE works with a ton of other synths: 8P, 10P, Juno 1 and 2, Oberheim Matrix-6, Kawai K-3, and many others.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Pro5 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 am

pinksoir wrote:@Dr. Phibes

Watch on youtube.com

This dudes comparison is pretty good. It's cool because roughly half the sounds sound clearly better on the Juno and half on the 3P. That being said, the 3P can achieve stuff that the Juno never could, which I like a lot.

3P vs Juno 60:

having had both, and many other DCO rolands... I find the 3P holds up better in the low end, I don't mean bass levels but on the junos (inc alphas) the low notes almost seem to dissolve. Not sure if it's the dual oscs or just the oscs themselves (can't recall if it does this when using a single osc on the 3P) but I find the low end quite weak from an osc POV on the junos, and other single DCO synths (even with sub engaged), in comparison to the 3P. 3P just keeps banging away down there without any loss of texture! (while not having the same eq/boost in bass as the junos). I also note that bending low notes down again retains texture and depth which seems to dissipate on the single osc junos! On top of that I also prefer the sound of the chorus/filter at the low end too (though the Juno filter sounds better on higher notes - but depends on the patch as they filters are so similar anyway, and my 3P has the res pots tweaked up)

On top of that, I find the 2osc 3P's overall texture seems to have a lot more harmonics and interest to my ears (more like a Jupiter), while the junos (all of them) are really vanilla sounding.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby pinksoir » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
pinksoir wrote:Ok, so I was going to get Ko from Modeless to install the KIWI mod for me but he said that the PG-200 doesn't work properly with the mod installed. He said he installed it before and that some of the knobs on the PG don't respond as they should. He then contacted the KIWI peeps and was told that it's a known bug. Does anyone have any experience using the PG-200 with the mod?

I have the 3P and I used to have a PG-200. Now I have the Kiwitechnics Patch Editor (PE). I can tell you for certain that the JX-3P upgrade is designed to work with the PE, not the PG-200. Why? Because Murray makes money when you buy one of his PEs, but doesn't when you buy an old, used PG-200! :lol:

Seriously, if you're going to get the upgrade, better bite the bullet and get the PE. Plus, the PE works with a ton of other synths: 8P, 10P, Juno 1 and 2, Oberheim Matrix-6, Kawai K-3, and many others.

Cheers. To be honest, I'm not really into paying double what I paid for the synth itself for the upgrade and the PE. It would be worth it if I had any of the other synths it works with, but I don't right now so it doesn't make much sense. I'm gonna keep the 3p stock for now and just install the Organix mod, and if I feel like I need to upgrade down the line I always can do that. Plus, I could sell the PG and put that cash towards the upgrade/PE combo. I'd love the extra features of the KIWI thang, but I'm still super excited about the 3p on its own so while it's a little disappointing, it ain't the end of the world by any stretch.

I emailed Murray from KT about the use of the PG and Kiwi mod together and he just said that he wouldn't recommend it and that it's buggy. It's kind of annoying because it says on the site that they are compatible, but evidently they are not. If I hadn't done my research, I could have installed the hardware, removed the original chip and ended up with a crapshoot. Then needed to spend more cash to get a controller for it. They should make it absolutely clear on the site that they are in fact not 100% compatible.

But whatever, it's no big deal. Can't wait til my 3p arrives!

One more thing though. Is there a way to have the PG work when the 3p is receiving midi without the Organix mod? I don't really need CC control of all the parameters. I think I read somewhere that it's possible by modding the midi inputs in some way or other.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog
pinksoir

Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Roland JX3P,
Yamaha CS-01,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha CS-50,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Postby Pro5 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Can't recall on the midi+pg at same time sans organix/kiwi mod but I don't think so?

I have the organix mod and it's allowed me to get rid of my PG-200 and use a novation remote zero which is actually MUCH nicer to use - smooth easy knobs and full LCD readout of parameters - sure it doesn't look as cool as you can't just sit it on the JX like with the PG but the money the PG's go for is ridiculous. I got my remote zero 2nd hand ebay for £50!!! and it does SO MUCH more besides (it can program any synth just like the PE thingy does but for a sixth of the price).

The KIWI mod itself is cool, but I would never buy the PE programmer when you can just use a generic box. Have had my JX since 2008 and had various programmers with it (PG, BCR, REMOTE ZERO) and they all end up being used the same, but the remote zero is very handy with the LCD readouts.
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby corndogssg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:32 pm

good synth shootout, considering that both of these keyboards are highly recommended to get upgrades with KIWI.

I'd say if your not gonna get the pg 200 or similar like the novation remote zero with the jx3p, don't get it. with it it's the shit. without it you'll be pissed as shit as editing anything is a menu dive from hell.

funny the video with the jx3p and the juno 106, and the comment saying some sound better on one and some on the other, because I have always heard the jx3p was made to sort of compliment the juno's and sort of fill in the gaps where it's brother lacks so to speak.

this is a good shoot out, both are great boards. I'm more a roland over korg kind of guy, (unless your talking recently, where there ms20 mini wipes the floor with the sh 01 gaia)
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts