Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Selling my JX-8P in favour of a Waldorf Blofeld?

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:24 am

I'm not so keen on the highpass filter because of the "only four settings" thing, but yeah, for what it's worth, you do have one.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Advertisement:

Postby CfNorENa » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 am

commodorejohn wrote:I'm not so keen on the highpass filter because of the "only four settings" thing, but yeah, for what it's worth, you do have one.

True; but with the HPF at 3 and the LPF almost closed, you get a pretty wicked bandpass-like tone -- very nice on an analog polysynth.
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:13 am

As a matter of fact, I was just playing around with the ol' PG-800 this evening and just using the sync/cross-mod, without even touching the filters or the routing or the JX-10's two-tone layering, I was getting sounds that rival some of the ring-mod tones I've gotten from my MS-20 Mini for sheer funk value. No, nowhere near as filthy as you can get with, say, a Minibrute, but the JX-8P is a far cry from being "just" a pads machine.
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:58 am

commodorejohn wrote:You're less wrong, then, but you're still wrong. No, it's never going to be great at the nasty, crunchy end of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of variety to be had from it. You've got two oscillators, four waveforms, oscillator sync and cross-mod which can also be combined, a self-oscillating resonant lowpass filter, two envelopes, an LFO, and a shit-ton of routing/control options, not to mention on-board chorus. If you can't find variety in that, you're not trying.

All very true, but no bloody PWM. :( I'd also say that the chorus can be a bit of a crutch in sound creation with the JX. It can do more, but it's easy to fall into that trap. ;)

While the 8P does it have its massive upside, its just one those things...I don't have the space for synths that don't get the use they deserve. Now if I could have somehow fused my ESQ-1 to the JX...
Zmeinogorsk

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah, no PWM is a bummer...there's always faking it with sync, but it would be nice not to have to. I don't find the chorus to be strong enough to work as a crutch, myself, more just a nice touch to enrich finished patches (I keep it off when I'm working out the initial sound, and then figure out what the best setting is for it.)
commodorejohn

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:I don't have the space for synths that don't get the use they deserve.

That's the thing, rather than whether something is good in its own right - do you use it, do you need it? I've owned and sold some fantastic synths, but there are some things I rarely use that I still would not sell because they cover unique ground and/or I'd never be able to get another. But if you don't use something because you just don't need it for your own kind of work, no matter what the gear, you might as well pass it on and not have to worry about it again.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:25 am

Only thing now, how much is a JX-8P + PG 800 worth these days? Ebay rarely has both for sale. Synth is nearly mint except for two tiny drill holes on bottom right side/small "102" in felt. Aftertouch works, but the contacts will eventually need to be re-cleaned, occasional stuck notes.
Zmeinogorsk

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 am

For what it's worth, I paid $700 for my JX-10 + PG-800, both of which were in great shape, with manuals (and the PG-800 carrying case.)
commodorejohn

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide