Looking at a used Waldorf Q

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Looking at a used Waldorf Q

Postby ejlif » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:57 pm

I am going to look at a used Waldorf Q yellow beast. Anything special to look for that typically fails on these? Also what would be considered a good price. They say its mint studio use only.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Advertisement:

Re: Looking at a used Waldorf Q

Postby Alex E » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:15 pm

I'd say about $1300 is fair for a 16 voice.

Nothing particular tends to fail on these, but the encoders might need some deoxit.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby ejlif » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:52 pm

So basically play some sounds and move all the knobs making sure no scratchy sounds are coming out. Sounds pretty simple.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,

Postby Alex E » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:29 am

Well actually, make sure they change parameters smoothly without jumping values.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby KevBKeys » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Alex E wrote:Well actually, make sure they change parameters smoothly without jumping values.

Yes, exactly. The Q has endless encoders to control the sound engine so there shouldn't be any scratchy sounds. I think the Q was my first experience with endless encoders and I found it quite different to programing with potentiometers because you don't get the same feedback from the controls.
KevBKeys

Postby ejlif » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Well I bought it for 1200. It's in perfect shape the guy never used it he said he couldn't understand how it works. Very cool synth I'm looking forward to digging in to it. Thanks again for the advice.
ejlif

Postby KevBKeys » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Congrats on the Q!

A few years since I've played one, but I remember it being a powerful synth with a nice sound. I think the arpeggiator was quite good too. Plenty for you to dig into for sure.
KevBKeys

Return to Buyer's Guide