Akai MPX8 Sample Player

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Akai MPX8 Sample Player

Postby treezyz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:33 am

ryryoftokyo wrote:I just saw this last night, and I'm into the idea, but is there anything a bit more full featured for a similar price (between $100 and $200)? Or should I just grab this? Sampler n00b.

sp-303 or 505. no (legit) pitch on those though (if you need that feature.) but you can actually make songs on those stand-alone.

sp-505 can be had under 150 if you keep your eyes open. 303 can also be had on the cheap.
treezyz

Advertisement:

Postby somebedroomdj » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:11 am

I had high hopes for this thing when I first heard about it but it really sounds like a crippled piece of kit. I think instead of this, I'm just gonna pick up an old Roland MS-1 and a couple of memory cards. That was my first sampler and I loved it at the time. Seems like it would serve a similar purpose but you can also sample directly from it and it has a decent little sequencer on it. Of course, it doesn't have those nice pads and maybe that's the whole point of the MPX8 I guess. But I'm just looking for a nice portable sampler to use as a drum module, so MS-1 it is I think.
Synths: | Spectralis 1 | JP-8000 | Bass Station 2 | Minibrute | TT-303 | MC-09 | EF-303| Volca Keys & Bass
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | ESX-1 | SP-808 | Volca Beats
somebedroomdj

Postby supermel74 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:02 pm

I was considering the MPX8 too but picked up an old MS-1 for the same reasons you stated. I'm actually using compact flash cards with mine. You need a pcmcia to compact flash adapter like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCMCIA-Compact- ... 43bd80e6e4 and supposedly only older Sandisk compact flash cards will work. It works for me but with some quirks. I need to reboot after doing most tasks but it gets it done. Others have got it to work without any quirks so maybe my adapter is the problem.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby somebedroomdj » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 pm

So I guess I'll eat my words. lol Just snagged one of these on an impulse because it was really cheap. $65 shipped, like new condition.

I suppose it will be a good sound module after I load it up with a few basic XOX kits and various manglings of the amen break. I mean, $65, can't really pass that up. :)
Synths: | Spectralis 1 | JP-8000 | Bass Station 2 | Minibrute | TT-303 | MC-09 | EF-303| Volca Keys & Bass
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | ESX-1 | SP-808 | Volca Beats
somebedroomdj

Postby Ugly Goblin Boy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:41 pm

I liked the idea of massive sample storage, but overall this thing is a crippled toy. Here are my main complaints:

1 - Dedicated MIDI channel 10; Why the rhythm channel!?!?!? If I'm using a old groovebox or something like that as a controller I'm essentially writing off the drum section in place of external samples.

2 - Overly sensitive velocity pads; it's either quiet or loud, not a tonne of mid.

3 - The reverb effect is painful. There is not sustain on it and I only use it to balance out volume levels on my banks.

4 - No batteries; for something marketed as portable, it's pretty lame being tethered to a 3ft power source.

5 - Long load times; basically if you have a pad or drone that is 45seconds, you have to wait 45seconds to load. Multiply that over the course of 8 pads, you will be waiting a while. Not exactly practical for live use.

6 - The headphone jack seems to pick up a lot of noise; not sure if this is a manufacture defect or common amoung all units.

7 - Zero velocity control with an external sequencer.

That's basically it, I used mine for about a month and since then it's collected dust. I wouldn't suggest this product for anyone interested in live music production, but maybe if needs something for one-off sounds as a DJ it might make sense.

Overall 4.5/10
Ugly Goblin Boy

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 am

Akai has gotten really good at taking forever to release things. Anyone remember the MPC Fly ? Lol
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby DX21 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 am

I got one of them;

Pros:
Takes up to a 32GB card no problem full of samples
Easy to read screen
Runs on USB Battery pack for about 8 hours (4x 2500mA Energizer rechargables)
Nice responsive pads
Works as USB to Midi device and cables can be extended with headphone extensions (kickass!)
Girlfriend thinks its cute

Cons:
32mb Sample Ram for the entire machine
Software is Bollocks
They could have Easily put in a rechargeable battery considering how much goddamn empty space there is inside :D
Headphone jack is noisy when on mains power (use guitar copper foiling to line inside of machine, reduces noise.)
The Knob could have been placed somewhere more convenient.
Manual looks like it was written by a Japanese man on google translate.

Overall: 9.5/10 because bollocks
~Chicks Dig My Solid Bass~
~Time Trax~
DX21: Needs new YM2151, Pitch Knob
DX21

Gear: Yamaha DX21
Kawai K3
Band: AHHHH!?!!?

Postby rob_lee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm just about to place an order for one of these. I had never even seen them before till this thread so thanks. This will do for me triggering one shot stabs and feed it through my Waldorf 2-Pole when i get that.
Great!

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby shaft9000 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

what a weird bird....

30 MB of RAM....what's that breakdown to? like 20 cents in bulk???
I can buy a thumbdrive with 8 gigs for $5 dollars at the corner store.

...yet it transmits Polyphonic aftertouch!

funky AKAI
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Previous

Return to Samplers