MS 20 MINI vs Pittsburgh Modular System 1 Cell 48

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

MS 20 MINI vs Pittsburgh Modular System 1 Cell 48

Postby madmarkmagee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:28 am

Hello everyone. Pulling my hair out over which one I should buy. Some pro's and con's of each I have come up with.

Pittsburgh

Pros

About 100 bucks cheaper were I live in Australia then the MS - 20 mini.

Real VCO (don't actually have anything with one of them).

Eurorack (very expandable/easy to made more flexible).

Smaller size factor then MS 20 mini, no space wasted with keyboard. Very important to me at least.

Signal Spliter (very useful I understand ;) )

Cons

Limited out of box(1 vco 1 12db filter etc)

MS 20

Pros

Much more out of the box features (2 OSC/multifilter/ 2 EG's etc)

MS 20 Filter ;)

Cons

Not sure if it has true VCO's (Does Digitally stabilized just mean DCO or something else?) (Oscillators sound very tuned and I guess "flat", not that this is bad but everything I have is like this lol) (DSI went to the trouble of putting a "analog" function in their keyboards lol)

Can't properly interface with anything else (Hz octave V per octave thingy).

Thoughts very much appreciated (:
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Advertisement:

Re: MS 20 MINI vs Pittsburgh Modular System 1 Cell 48

Postby Jabberwalky » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:51 am

I interface my Ms20 mini with my Paid9700s modular all the time. The PGH would be good if you have other gear to send CV to. Also, the Ms20 mini definitely has full VCOs. Whatever they meant by digitally stabilized, it doesn't effect the overall tone. (I'm guessing thats a way to say that the Tempco on the VCO is digitally controlled or something)
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:09 am

The MS-20 Mini's oscillators are definitely VCOs; the oscillator is quite stable once warmed up, but there's a noticeable if minor drift during the first fifteen minutes or so of powering on, and it sounds nothing like a DCO synth.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby madmarkmagee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:45 am

Jabberwalky wrote: (I'm guessing thats a way to say that the Tempco on the VCO is digitally controlled or something)

commodorejohn wrote:The MS-20 Mini's oscillators are definitely VCOs; the oscillator is quite stable once warmed up, but there's a noticeable if minor drift during the first fifteen minutes or so of powering on, and it sounds nothing like a DCO synth.

ok thanks, was wondering about that.
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:24 am

I'd get the Pittsburgh if you want to get into euro, otherwise the ms-20. If you buy the Pittsburgh you're gonna end up spending more to expand it, just wait and see. :) That's a positive by the way.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:44 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'd get the Pittsburgh if you want to get into euro, otherwise the ms-20. If you buy the Pittsburgh you're gonna end up spending more to expand it, just wait and see. :) That's a positive by the way.

And you can always expand by getting an MS-20-style filter if you want that sound.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby analoglsd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:37 am

I've only played the MS-20mini once for about 15 minutes, but it sounded very similar to my vintage MS-20 , which is one of my all-time favorite synths.
Honestly, IMO,the MS-20mini wipes the floor with the Pittsburgh System 1. It can just do way more, and has more sonic character than the Pittsburgh stuff. (I've owned a few Pitts modules) Hell, the patching options would be more interesting on the MS-20.(sample and hold, reverse envelopes, ect...)
Plus, all of the actual 'synthesizer' functions are jammed into one module on the System 1. From what I've read, that module has some audio bleed issues, and I've read numerous threads with people having troubles with the MIDI2 module as well.(FYI:for all I know these issues have been ironed out, and this is all 2nd hand Internet info...)
Also, if you're leaning towards the eurorack format, and you end up getting into it, chances are, you'll probably end up selling the entire System 1, with the exception of the Outs module.
As far as the Hz/V issue goes, there is a euro module made by The Harvestman called the English Tear which will convert Hz/V to V/Oct.
If you had the System 1 and the MSmini, you could replace the MIDI2 module with the English Tear and have clear communication between the two, which is obviously the ideal situation here. ;)

I'm a total eurorack enthusiast, and that's where I spend most of my time when making music, but my vote is for the MS-20mini in this situation.

BTW: last weekend I was recording my girlfriend, and we broke out with the old MS-20 to track a bass line. It hadn't been turned on in a couple weeks, and was dead-on in tune, right when we plugged it in.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Return to Synth Shootouts