Controlling Roland XV3080 via MIDI

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Controlling Roland XV3080 via MIDI

Postby vox9876 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:51 am

I control my Roland XV3080 synth module from a Novation X-Station MIDI controller keyboard. I would like to set the Roland to accept MIDI control of more Patch parameters than are in the basic MIDI Control Change set of 0 to 93. How do I do that?

Given that all parameters are controllable using the Patch Editor software, this must be possible. I looked at the Parameter Address Map in the manual - is this relevant?
vox9876

Advertisement:

Re: Controlling Roland XV3080 via MIDI

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:39 pm

To control all parameters requires use of system exclusive (sysex) messages. I don't think the Novation can transmit those, check the manual.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby scottrod » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:42 pm

A quick look at the manuals and it doesn't look like you can do it directly.

You can get a box to convert the Novation midi data into SysEx commands the XV-3080 can recognize however if you have the money and motivation, like the Midi Solutions Event Processor. I have a couple of these.

You would be delving into the next level of midi (actually more like two levels) if you go that route however, so be prepared to learn about SysEx programming and hex-based numbers. It's a pretty big step and can be very frustrating at times, but it can also be fun to learn and very rewarding if you're willing to put forth the effort.

If you can make it happen, you'll know more than 90% of your fellow keyboard players about the underpinnings of midi.
scottrod
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby vox9876 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if it's worth doing.
vox9876

Postby vox9876 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:09 am

I've found that the Novation can send SysEx strings of up to 20 bytes. Can anyone point me to a site which might help me learn how to use this to control parameters on my Roland XV3080?
vox9876

Return to HELP!