Roland; Juno 6 vs. SH-3a

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Roland; Juno 6 vs. SH-3a

Postby yorgatron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:43 am

I have a chance to trade my Juno 6 for a (supposedly) very clean SH-3a.

the 2 main reasons I have for doing this are;

1. my other keyboards are from the '60s & '70s.

and

2. the Juno 6 isn't exactly the cleanest example I've ever seen.

on the other hand, I could probably sell the Juno for a good chunk of change, and it's not like I need an SH-3a anyway, although it does make some lovely sounds... :dontknow:
yorgatron

Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Moog Prodigy
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Advertisement:

Re: Roland; Juno 6 vs. SH-3a

Postby mpa1104 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:12 am

Having owned and been rather attached to both these synths over many years, I'd suggest that one option would be to examine what you presently get the most out of with the Juno, what you're likely to miss, and what you're likely to welcome with the SH-3a.

How important to you is polyphony, arpeggiator, PWM, and the popular Chorus I and II of the Juno?

Do you mind sacrificing those for a mono synth with mixable waveforms at 5 different octaves, very flexible modulation routings (including sample-and-hold), portamento, adjustable chorus depth, and a different filter (potentially capable of some Moog-ish sounds)?

As I've recently mentioned in the "underrated/hated synths" thread, I'd happily pick up another SH-3a if I had the chance (and the money!)

EDIT: Actually, I don't think you do lose PWM on the SH-3a because I think technically, the "Chorus" knob on the 3a is actually a PWM control (for the 8' pitch only though). Someone may like to verify that though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.
mpa1104

Gear: VCS 3, Rhodes Mark II, Micromoog, V-Synth, RS-202, Juno 60, Juno 2, VK-8M, MKB-1000, ESQ-1, ASR-10, Prophet VS, Triton Le, Theremin.

Postby yorgatron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:03 am

I think I'm going with the SH-3a. never have really been that into the Juno sounds that much, even though I know a lot of people like it.
besides, it doesn't really fit into my collection of oddball stuff.
yorgatron

Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Moog Prodigy
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Postby 8bit9bot » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:57 am

i had an SH-3a for a long time... it's AMAZING! the raw sound is probably as moog-like as roland gets... which can be said about a lot of the SH synths - it's a 70s sound - however i would still choose a Juno-6... or actually... 60 over the SH-3a because i hated how the 3a didn't have true PWM - to me that's the biggest deal breaker - also the Juno synths share the great self oscillation effects i liked on the 3A... so i say stick with the juno

i had an alpha juno paired with the 3A... i feel like the Juno-60 is a perfect blend of the two into 1 machine - the only way i'd choose the 3A is if i needed to do sound FX - it has great potential for that with the sample and hold features
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Return to Synth Shootouts