Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Postby Alex E » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:41 am

http://www.syntezatory.net.pl/alesis_a6_andromeda.htm

If you value his opinions as much as I do, you'll probably really enjoy this one.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Advertisement:

Re: Jexus' review of the Alesis Andromeda is up

Postby madmarkmagee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:17 am

Oh... oh what he said will annoy some people.

This is going to be brilliant :lol:
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby Alex E » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 am

I also liked the kind words he said about the Virus. I'm glad he's starting to appreciate that sound a bit more. I always really enjoyed it myself.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby danbroad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 pm

I can't help feeling someone needs to loan Jexus a Prophet 12. That synth was made for him.....

I think he's spot on with the Andromeda's UI. I played one in the store before going with the Virus, and although I missed out on an asset, the UI was confusing and cramped to me. A frustrating experience, just couldn't get with it at all. No doubt a very nice synth if you like the interface, but now that I see voices failing on many units and a paucity of spares I'm glad I chose the German synth at the time. My $.02
Less words more noise
danbroad

Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Postby pflosi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Clearly he's got no fucking idea what he's talking about ;) And the demos sound like he spent about one hour with it :mrgreen:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 pm

I found the review interesting precisely because he chose to play devil's advocate.

I have never met an A6 in the flesh but let's be honest: with all the people screaming for new poly analogs and all the A6 fanboy ravings why was it discontinued?

Many people point to price and reliability, just as in Alesis' other folly the Fusion. It wasn't that expensive! Certainly alongside Voyager, Virus and now Kronos and Prophet 12 the price was reasonable.

Perhaps Alesis just wasn't up to the task of going high-end? All of their successes have been built on low-cost products.

Blah blah blah :read:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Solderman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 pm

I was wondering when he'd get that one finished. I agree with it, especially the bit about getting just a taste of all things vintage, based on my short time with one. That bit about Too Many Eggs in One Basket is going to ruffle some feathers in the synth community, but I think there's a ring of truth there: There are most definitely A6 loyalists and Alesis does not support their product, which has already shown to exhibit serious malfunctions with no means of repair.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analogue. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." - Brian Eno
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: μbrute, Kraftzwerg v1, CS15(mod), Поливокс(mod), SEM Pro, SH101(mod), TR606(mod), Virus b

Postby garranimal » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Haha it's not for everybody. :lol:
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Anyone who puts in the time and effort to compose such a review, has the balls to say what he does, tells me/us to F-off, only to then quote Primo Levi (!) is a gem in this community. :clap:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby zoomtheline » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:15 pm

I might pay him to do similar reviews for synths I have always wanted to stop prices rising at such stupid rates.
zoomtheline

Postby GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I might pay him to do similar reviews for synths I have always wanted to stop prices rising at such stupid rates.

:mock:

I have to say, there have been a couple of times where I was really tempted to go for an A6. Then I'd look at the manual and pics of the interface and see what Jexus talks about--an overly clunky interface. Then I'd check the demos and hear lovely sounds--but always a bit to soft for what I'd want. But there's no synth out there that is perfect for everyone...
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby 8bit9bot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I might pay him to do similar reviews for synths I have always wanted to stop prices rising at such stupid rates.

YES!
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby davidfuego » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:45 am

Andromeda is not for everybody, or you love it or hate it. I love it and never has let me down. There is a guy from australia named cool something and he has many demos. They are all amazing. As soon as I finish my record I could gladly show jexus my music full of andromeda presets including bass, leads, arps, pads and many more sounds. Jexus was maybe stuck on new ideas and andromeda proofed that it takes a lot of imagination to really produce music with it and his demos start sounding similar after a while. John lennon used to say: give me a tuba and I will make you come something out of it. Genius words.
davidfuego

Postby griffin avid » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 am

I read it as tongue-in-cheek and if not that then head-up-butt.
There's a lot of rambling, which is the 'cool part' and then there's him saying [basically]...

Everything that the A6 is hyped for, is why I don't like it.
Really? Cool story bro.

I have never met an A6 in the flesh but let's be honest: with all the people screaming for new poly analogs and all the A6 fanboy ravings why was it discontinued?
Ten years later...
So...that's....your ...marker.....?

Many people point to price and reliability, just as in Alesis' other folly the Fusion.
The Fusion ONLY tanked because of BAD PRESETS. Ability, build, feature set are all stellar.
And once they shipped a totally new preset bank- everyone reversed their opinion.
By then, it was too late and it blew off the shelves at great discount and all the late owners can't praise it enough.

A6 had/has the same issue. The opening complaint for every noodler is "Ohhh, the presets suck?" How can thins thing be that awesome?!"

Roland V-Synth has exactly that same problem.
Oh and look, it's not the highest selling product...oh and look, people choosing NOT TO BUY IT, does not change what it is.

It should be called or referred to as something other than a review.
It aint that.Maybe

JEXUS takes a look at the Andromeda A6 and re-evaluates its stature, 14 years later.
Does it hold its value and should it still be your fantasy piece?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 am

Besides, I'm Polish, which means that if something is on a high pedestal, I need to throw some shit on it.

:lol:
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Next

Return to General Synthesizers