compression: effect vs. process

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

compression: effect vs. process

Postby Idk Probly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:24 pm

to clarify my query: Let's say i'm producing some hip hop beats and i really love the sound of crazy over-compressed snare drums, or i want the bass line to sound kinda squeezed. And i have a modest, onboard, non-DAW selection of effects to work with, one of which is a Stereo Dynamic Processor. So i use the compression on that effect to resample the snare or the bass line to make them sound as strangled as i want.
But when i'm all done and i'm ready for mixdown, sometimes i'm tempted to route certain tracks to the same compressor effect (this time via AUX bus mixer), to boost their loudness. Am i correct in thinking that i should NOT route the snare or the bass to undergo any further compression, as it would maybe cancel out or negate the effect i was going for?
And after the mixdown, if i'm in the mastering process (Limiter, enhancer, compressor etc) that applies to the entire song, will this OTHER type of compression change the snare or bass sound i was looking for?
i guess my question is, if i'm looking for that squeezy, over compressed sound on drums or bass, am i better off waiting until post production to apply the compression, rather than trying for it as a resampled effect?
Idk Probly

Advertisement:

Re: compression: effect vs. process

Postby madtheory » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Try it and you'll see that you're over thinking this...
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Idk Probly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 pm

you're suggesting i should just boldly take action, rather than sit and ponder the infinite array of possible outcomes? i guess i could give it a shot, right? i just hope i don't end up with a repeat of the "let's sample the radio in the bathtub" incident.
Idk Probly

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 am

+1 to M.theory. I would add sometimes you need to make mistakes, or really nail a technique months in advance to your realizing you did so. It sounds funny, but it always seems to be easier to tell when you revisit old projects, at least for me anyway.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Return to Sound Production