Want to drastically alter my workflow, considering an asr-10

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Want to drastically alter my workflow, considering an asr-10

Postby nuketifromorbit » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:36 am

For the past five years I've been relying on either korg electribes or renoise for composition. While I enjoyed working with both setups, I tend to find myself creating a bunch of simplistic 4/4 synth pop tracks. Despite being a fan of the genre I've grown a bit tired of creating that kind of music and I'm wondering if purchasing a sampling keyboard would point me in a different direction. I want to make music thats more abstract, sound collage like, heavier, and basically more industrial. I realize Renoise and other trackers are certainly capable of complex sample manipulation and timing changes, but I want to get away from the computer. I also prefer keys to pads, so I think mpc's are out of the question. Basically I want a sampler that is well suited for loops, one shot phrases, keyboard parts, and can function as the heart of my setup. I'm leaning heavily towards an ensoniq asr-10, but I'm wondering if a late 90's early 2000's workstation would also fit the bill. I might even consider older boards like the emax II or eps, but reliability is important to me. I don't necessarily require pristine 16 bit or better sound quality, but I expect the sampler to at least color the sound in a professional way. Lastly racks are out of the question and my budget is anywhere from 200 to 700 usd.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Re: Want to drastically alter my workflow, considering an as

Postby Jabberwalky » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 am

Well, with any of these old boards, get used to managing your sample time very precisely. Even my Eps16 with the maxed out memory can only do about 30-50 seconds. Loops eat that time up very quickly. Are you planning on using the sequencer exclusively as well? If so, stay away from the Emax2.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:22 am

Didn't this say considering a sampler?

Anyway, I'd look at an ASR-10, the Emu E4 Keys, and Korg Trinity and Tritons.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:22 pm

If you go Korg: sampling was an option, so bypass any units that don't have it installed. Outboard sample storage is SCSI, in some cases an optional card is required so preference to units that have it already unless scrounging eBay for accessories before you can make music is your idea of fun ;)

Yamaha Motif and Motif ES (skip the original, it had SCSI and only 64MB of RAM...6 minutes) are pretty good samplers although lacking one common feature, loop crossfading. Original Motif maxxes out at 64MB, 6-1/2 minutes of stereo samples, backup is SCSI (interface built in you just need drives) or Smart Media (128MB card today will cost you $75 or so :oops: ). The ES can plug in up to 1 GB of RAM (about two hours stereo sampling) and load/save with USB sticks or hard drives but loading is slow (though still faster than floppies). Reloading the whole 1GB takes over an hour :shock: so buying a cheap UPS at Staples and leaving the thing on all the time might be required. Both have insane effects processing with resampling through effects possible, also integration of samples and sequencer is top notch.

Going Korg or Yamaha expect to pay $500-1000 (not cheap) depending on model and provided accessories.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:33 pm

There are smart media to XD card adapters... around somewhere, still.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Postby nuketifromorbit » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Didn't this say considering a sampler?

Anyway, I'd look at an ASR-10, the Emu E4 Keys, and Korg Trinity and Tritons.

Yeah, but I changed it because I'm almost dead set on getting one. So any reason I shouldn't pick one up? Aside from a being a bit limited memory wise I can't see any other downsides. The inclusion of an effects processor, sequencer, and the ability to use samples as transwaves is extremely appealing to me.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby pflosi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:55 am

Your description / needs sound very V-Synth to me...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby nuketifromorbit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:05 pm

pflosi wrote:Your description / needs sound very V-Synth to me...

I had one and liked it well enough, but I need something with a decent sequencer. Never mind that the asr-10 costs about two to three hundred less.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby nuketifromorbit » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Seems the asr-10 has timing issues. I think I'm better off just sticking with my s2000 and an external sequencer. Anyhow thanks for the info guys.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby blakeq » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 am

I've not heard of the ASR-10 having timing issues, a bunch of hip hop guys use them.

You should also consider the Kurzweil range (k2000,2500,2600, 2661) Definitely has a bunch of industrial sounding programming options with the filters, wavershapers and modulations.
blakeq

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 am

Assemblage 23's entire Purgatory album was done with a EPS-16... check it out. Maybe Tom would have time to tell us if it had any timing issues.
Ashe37

Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Return to Buyer's Guide