Favorite Stringer?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Favorite Stringer?

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:27 pm

At some point this year I'd like to pick up a good ol' stringer. You know, the Solina type. One of my first synths was a Prelude, but at the time I had no idea what I was doing and let it go. The Solina obviously would be great, along with a VP330 or RS505, but I don't want to sink that much into it.

The weirder, the cheaper, the better. Hardware definitely.

What are your favorites?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Favorite Stringer?

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:59 pm

No bias just because I'm selling one, but the Korg Lambda is very nice. It's more of a general ensemble keyboard than a stringer, and thought the Piano and whatnot aren't great alone, combinations of presets can sound wonderful. The Chorus is particularly nice (ie, the choir sound). It uses 3 oscillators with out-of-phase modulation to give a nice thick finish, and the BBD ensemble (ie, chorus effect) can get nice and phasey as slow settings. Stereo output too. And it looks like furniture.

I've got a Roland RS-101 too, from about 1975, which is always breaking down but sounds great - it only does one thing though, which some will find limiting. Stick it through a Small Stone or Phase 100 and you're laughing.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby garranimal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:14 pm

I've played and owned many over the years. The most superb to my ears is the Roland VP-330 and RS-505 quad-bbd ensembles. So thick and juicy, full of life and character. I am also a big fan of the Solina, there is just something magical about the way the parts are filtered that give it a distinct tone. Here's a quick pulse on my sentiments:
- Logan String Melody: Full rich timbre due to 4 octave voice mix.
- Elka Rhapsody, Crumar Multiman/Orchestrator: excellent stringers on a budget. You could hardly go wrong if it has three bbd lines.
- Roland RS-202: meh.
- Korg Polysix: very nice bbd ensemble effects for having only one bbd line(?).
- Korg Delta: a little on the bizarre side, its character sounds more like a cheesy organ to me but the synth can be layered in with interesting results.
- JH Triple Chorus: Sounds especially good on phase-locked polysynths like the Juno-106.
- Freeman: one day I'll get to play one.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 pm

garranimal wrote:The most superb to my ears is the Roland VP-330 and RS-505 quad-bbd ensembles. So thick and juicy, full of life and character.

Which is interesting because the 101 and 202 also have quad BBD ensembles. The 101 has no control whatsoever over it, the 202 has a little. Not sure how the 330/505 compare, though.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby ryryoftokyo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm

I've been in the market for a stringer lately. So many options, so little time, and even less money.
Moog Multimoog Korg MS20 Korg Electribe EMX Korg Electribe EA1 Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Blofeld Yamaha AN1x Korg microKORG Roland Juno 60 Yamaha DX7 Roland Alpha Juno 2 Korg Poly 61 Roland JX8P Sequential Circuits Split 8 Korg Monotron Delay
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: EOC

Postby vicd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Watch on youtube.com

My TOM-1501 is a clone (well, less some buttons)...

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Formanta EMS01, TOM1501, JD800, TR626, Blofeld, Plugiator, MP7, Morpheus, UltraProteus, TG77
Band: ROBOPOP

Postby Infinity Curve » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Elka Rhapsody 490. Add a small stone and you are good to go to outer space.
Infinity Curve

Gear: Juno 106, SH101, Virus TI2 Polar, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, , MPC2500, Maschine, System 10, System 3
Band: Infinity Curve

Postby pmh » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm

How about an E-mu Proteus 2, an orchestral synth which may have the sound you are looking for. There are some examples on YouTube.

Last one I saw went for a shade over £80, about $115.

They are, of course, rack mount however.

The Solina is an incredible sound, though I have not touched one since the early 80s. I do have a VSTi version, but it's just not the same.

Kind regards,

Phil
pmh

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 pm

I can only speak for the ones I own, but both are pretty nice. The Hohner String Performer is very lush and mellow, clearly synthetic, Oxygene kind of string sounds. Its additional sounds aren't worth much (the piano and clavichord can do pretty nicely for putting a harder attack on the strings, but the solo sounds are just absurdly cheesy,) but the basic sound is just gorgeous.

The Crumar Orchestrator, on the other hand, is brighter and crisper, sounding more like an attempt to synthesize Mellotron strings - even with the tone control all the way down it's not as soft as the Hohner. The basic sound isn't as lush, but it's still quite nice, and the additional sounds are much better - piano and clavichord sound good on their own and mix very nicely, and the paraphonic brass section has a Moog filter on which you can adjust the envelope cutoff amount and resonance, which is excellent.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby synthroom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:27 pm

I've got a Crumar Performer and I love the string sounds it makes. Select both octave range buttons at the same time, then push the bass and treble bias up and drop the mid bias down and it's got a very etherial sound to it. That said, I hate the brass sound. But the string sound more than make up for the brass.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby Carey M » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Don't know how useful this is, but these are my experiences on the string machines I've owned or played with enough to form an opinion.

Logan String Melody
Soft, lush, ethereal. Probably my favourite string ensemble sound. Doesn't cut through the mix as well as some others. But man, I just love the sound. I've played on Melody II, but long ago and can't really say how they compare soundwise.

Hohner String Performer
Very similar to String Melody, but not as soft. The string sound is "heavier". Ie. more bass, has a bit of a grinding quality to it, but the difference isn't huge.

Crumar Multiman S (same as Orchestrator)
A bit weedier than the Logan, more "real" sounding. A great feature set. And the strings cut through really well. You can't adjust the attack fully, IIRC, but the tone controls are nice to have. A nice underdog solution.

Solina String Ensemble
I've had two that were rather different in sound. One was very lush and with a deeper chorus. The other was weedier and the ensemble effect didn't seem as deep as on the other. I like the Logan better, but the Solina works on just about anything.

Korg PE-2000
Fantastic phaser, but without it the strings were rather dry sounding. Other polyphonic sounds lackluster, but still with some of that old-Korg character. An oddball.

Moog Opus 3
As a whole, probably my favourite ensemble synth. The synth (aka brass) section is really nice and the strings, though a bit weedy, cut nicely. The ensemble effect is great and the string section has its own switchable (non-articulating) multimode filter. Bandpass sweeps, baby! I have a couple of demos up on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/matti-juhana/moog-opus-3-demo-1
https://soundcloud.com/matti-juhana/moog-opus-3-demo-2

Yamaha SK-20
The organ is the best part here. The strings are alright, maybe a bit like the Crumars, a bit weak though and not what I'd call lush. The synth section is alright, but the Opus sounds better to me.

Arp Omni II
Great strings, similar to Solina (but not identical) and a nice synth section. Classic sounds.

I guess my next stop is a Roland stringer as I haven't had any of those. Maybe the little RS-09...
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby garranimal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:09 am

nathanscribe wrote:
garranimal wrote:The most superb to my ears is the Roland VP-330 and RS-505 quad-bbd ensembles. So thick and juicy, full of life and character.

The RS-202 schematics I've been looking at has three MN3002 chips but maybe it wasn't fair enough so say meh when I gloated over the other triple bbd stringers.
garranimal
Expert Member
Expert Member

Band: G-Strom Electro

Postby fh991586 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:17 am

On the cheap and usually easy to obtain side, I can suggest the Roland RS-09.
Last edited by fh991586 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Roland JX3P+PG200, D50+PG1000, Juno 6+106, MKS50/70, JP8080, U220, MVS1, MDC1, MSE1, RS09, TR-707
-Korg Poly61M, M1R, MicroKorg, Micro, Kaossilator/Pro, Monotron X3
-Yamaha DX7, TX816, TX81Z
-Crumar Performer, DSI Mopho, SCI Prophet 2002
fh991586

Gear: Too much to handle...

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:27 am

garranimal wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:

The RS-202 schematics I've been looking at has three MN3002 chips but maybe it wasn't fair enough so say meh when I gloated over the other triple bbd stringers.

Hmm, you are indeed correct... which is interesting, as the 101 definitely has a quad-3002 ensemble. The main tone-generating board is the same in both units, mind.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Jorvik » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Carey M wrote:Logan String Melody
Soft, lush, ethereal. Probably my favourite string ensemble sound. Doesn't cut through the mix as well as some others. But man, I just love the sound. I've played on Melody II, but long ago and can't really say how they compare soundwise.

Solina String Ensemble
I've had two that were rather different in sound. One was very lush and with a deeper chorus. The other was weedier and the ensemble effect didn't seem as deep as on the other. I like the Logan better, but the Solina works on just about anything.

I own both (well, a String Melody II) and would agree with this. The Logan is sweet and ethereal whereas my Eminent is darker and more raspy. At some point I intend doing a video comparing the sounds.

Isn't the only difference between the SM and SMII that the latter has different presets which affect the chorus/vibrato and in some cases over-ride the mixer levels? Or are there sonic differences in the underlying architecture?

The trumpet and horn on the Solina can add a useful bit of weight to the sound but don't sound very brassy on their own. The Solina's CV outs are also very useful – I have Doepfer minicase processing unit to run them through so I can get sounds like the GForce Virtual String Machine (which was what got me hooked) and it's less faffy on the Solina; whereas I have to rely on the enveloper follower for the Logan.

The SMII's variable mixing of the violin/viola/cello levels is really great for shaping the sound. I also find the fact that it's an octave higher than the Solina very useful, as is its keyboard split and ability to have different settings on the upper and lower sections.

Another plus point for the String Melody is that it's properly polyphonic wherease the Solina is only paraphonic, but in the Solina's favour its attack/release are far longer than the Logan's, which are rather short IMO.

I really, dearly wish my Logan's Bass and especially Percussive Bass worked (they're barely audible) as I'd get a lot of mileage out of the latter. The Logan's rather more manageable weight-wise as well :oops:

I'm amazed at how both have shot up in price in the last few years. I think a couple of absolutely mint Logans have, unfortunately, sent the price of lesser ones sky high on eBay, at least in the UK. I only paid about £130 for mine but they seem to go for about 600 quid these days (not that I've looked in ages). I thought £750 was steep for a Solina at the time a few years ago, but they seem to have gone crazy :roll:
Jorvik

Gear: Axxe, Odyssey & Pro Soloist; Mopho keybd; Dark Energy & A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty SII

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide