tips for cool samples

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: tips for cool samples

Postby Idk Probly » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 pm

not much of a tip or a trick, really. just something i stumbled upon that i think has some potential. A lot of people have sampled bits from stand-up comedy performances over the years. Maybe a little cheesy at this point, but the right bit can be a lot of fun to work with. The only problem with it is, there's always that roar of applause/laughter that has to be hacked off the end of the sample and thrown away, because it seems unusable. Then you have to do some finessing with your end point so that the crowd noise is removed without the tail end seeming abrupt and decapitated.
anyway, i was messing with a Bill Hicks sample, and i realized that there's a few spots (probably in every recorded stand up routine) where the crowd laughter/applause can be utilized, and easily split into workable chops.
Comedian tells a joke, and at first, only 15-20 people get it and laugh. Following right after, the larger part of the crowd catches on and cracks up, and finally the entire audience is applauding and making noise. it only lasts a second or two, but i found it interesting to play with the samples and bring them in like waves crashing on a beach. Some filtering, panning, pitch shifting, delay, maybe gated reverb, put it in reverse... whatever you want. And i think it could be used for a variety of effects in different settings. Very organic sound, naturally human crowd dynamics; and all from something most people just chop and delete.
Idk Probly

Previous

Return to Samplers