Advice on upgrading to a bigger multitracker

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Advice on upgrading to a bigger multitracker

Postby galino » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 am

I’ve been using the Korg D888 for a few years but am now finding it hard to manage the sort of music I am trying to make with only 8 tracks (even with the 64 virtual tracks).

I have been considering upgrading to a 32 tracker and am specifically looking at either a Korg D3200, D32XD/D16XD or Tascam DP-32.

The problem is that the basis of my setup, for which the D888 is perfect, requires that I record one tape-sync (time code generated by MC-202 or TR-909) to one of the tracks which is then able to be sent back out TO those units which function as sequencers for other instruments during playback/recording.

The D888 is able to do this because it has 4 individual outputs for tracks 5-8. I can juggle the tape-sync track around those four outputs using the virtual tracks as needs be.

As far as I can tell none of the units I am looking at are able to do that. Hopefully I am wrong about this. Can anyone give any advice on whether it is the case or if there is a way around it.

Many thanks
galino

Advertisement:

Re: Advice on upgrading to a bigger multitracker

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:41 pm

The Tascam has an effects send you could use (Korgs probably have one too...check the manual).

Is that any tighter than using MIDI clocks? The DP32 supports regular MIDI sync (probably Korgs too...check the manual).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby galino » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 am

It's a system using only Roland tape sync, DIN sync and CV/gate. A very primitive way of doing things, yes, but it's become second nature to me by now. And I don't want to mess around too much with MIDI to CV/gate conversions.

Sorry if I come across as a bit of dummy but I truly am with this stuff. Would the FX send on the Tascam effectively function as an AUX send? Will it function as an AUX out if not sent back into the return? Can AUX outputs be assigned to particular tracks/channels? (i.e. track 16, say, is playing the tape sync data through the AUX out and then to the MC-202 while the other tracks are being recorded).

Hope this doesn't sound too confusing.
Thanks again for any advice.
galino

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 am

galino wrote: Would the FX send on the Tascam effectively function as an AUX send? Will it function as an AUX out if not sent back into the return?

Yes (there are no returns, you use the channel ins). There are two mono sends.

galino wrote: Can AUX outputs be assigned to particular tracks/channels? (i.e. track 16, say, is playing the tape sync data through the AUX out and then to the MC-202 while the other tracks are being recorded).

Yes.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby galino » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:22 am

Thanks a lot meatballfulton!

I also found this page which helped explain things a bit:
http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/ency ... udio-13423

Also if anyone else has any experience with any of these units in terms of ease of use, sound quality, EQing and automation or any particular problems they might have please feel free to chip in.
galino

Return to HELP!