JD-800 vs V-Synth

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Which is "the one"?

JD-800
17%
V-Synth
61%
Both
22%

Total votes : 18

Re: JD-800 vs V-Synth

Postby Synthacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:49 pm

I think the JD800 is very poor. Apart from the sliders, which to be honest I never found to be as quick to use as I would hope, it really is a poor synth. Not as nice sounding as a D50. I see no reason to buy one. I was very disappointed by it, the JD990 is another beast altogether however, very powerful.

The V-Synth is very powerful, and well made too. No dodgy red goo to leak everywhere like on the JD800.

In all honesty unless you record all your synths in one go, and not one t a time, I'd be selling the JD800 and your D50. Invest the money in something else.
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Advertisement:

Postby Pro5 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Synthacon wrote:I think the JD800 is very poor. Apart from the sliders, which to be honest I never found to be as quick to use as I would hope, it really is a poor synth. Not as nice sounding as a D50. I see no reason to buy one. I was very disappointed by it, the JD990 is another beast altogether however, very powerful.

The V-Synth is very powerful, and well made too. No dodgy red goo to leak everywhere like on the JD800.

In all honesty unless you record all your synths in one go, and not one t a time, I'd be selling the JD800 and your D50. Invest the money in something else.

hey don't forget to vote for V-synth then! :lol:

btw my jd is red goo free - took me a day to sort that and no problems. It can sound beautiful in my opinion though does miss out on the width of sound thanks to no tone panning. V-synth, honestly, really is a much more powerful and useful synth overall (I've voted for V-synth myself last week). I love the JD but the V-synth is in a different league and I couldn't be without it now.

And I also prefer the V to the D-50 which I've had 4 of now and the D-50 has a very nice sound but next to V-synth? no competition of the depth and breadth of sound possibilities and the clarity of sound, it's only cos it's warmer and thicker sounding not anything intrinsic in it's sound gen vs the V-synth.

I spent ages playing some custom pads on the V-synth, sweeping and swooshing, evolving and powerful (from lowly AJuno samples - not single cycle but proper textures maybe 5 seconds or so long and looped) - then I went to my favourite pads on the D-50 sat above it - now if you do that you will hear how the d-50 sounds in comparison. Beautiful BUT kinda constrained and muddy, noisy for sure. So for me V-Synth is now the best synth Roland has ever made much like that thread said and like Seph? on here keeps saying. It's the only digital I need now.

D-50 is already up for sale, JD will prob go eventually but i need to think long and hard about that.

The reasons i love the V-synth are numerous, and sound quality or vs sound with some other synth is a very small part. It's the whole thing, what it empowers me to do! I've never been able to program sounds from my head as easily as with the V-synth, and some really unique ones too! I can have both happy accidents and planned sounds and they turn out great + there's so much you can do with it vs other synths, load in a new sample bank and you have a 'whatever synth you like' virtually. I like the build of it and the layout. I actually find it faster to program than the JD!! cos of the touchscreen and the logical ergonomic layout. It really allows me to think about sound like never before and that is why it excites me every time I program it. So many choices within but streamlined to make it all accessible - such power and musicality - and is also super productive with everything you could ask for i.e midi sync on everything and on screen graphics of LFOs and ENVs, have never found a synth so easy to use envelopes on as the V!! not even simple junos - weird - i mean synths with more than one env not simple analogs, the use of the physical ADSR sliders within sub screens is great, esp showing the other envs dotted behind so you can match or contrast - pure joy to program. And I've always preferred the roland left/right pitch bend (which here can be mapped to ANYTHING) and that is why it makes my ultimate synth. God knows i've been through a lot (of sub £1k ones) but this wins the award for me, even over analog.

I want a good monster analog to go with it - to sit above it - gonna cost me! :mrgreen: at the moment it's working beautifully with my JX-3P! I'm using the V to send arp data to it via midi and cos my 3P has the organix mod it can also be tweaked/edited on the fly using the 2 Cnobs or the pad/d-beam etc... set to the relevant CC numbers. I'd like a better poly analog on top ideally but the 3P is awesome when you get to know it, very underrated and has just enough proper analog sound with 2 oscs to deliver for my needs.

Thanks all!

p.s I think I'm in love with the V-Synth and maybe will sleep with it tonight :lol: :roll:
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby Synthacon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:01 pm

I had my V-Synth with a JP8 above it, not a bad combo.
You always want just one more Synth!
Synthacon

Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Postby Pro5 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:32 am

Synthacon wrote:I had my V-Synth with a JP8 above it, not a bad combo.

Am sure it isn't (to put it mildly!) :mrgreen:
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby max badwan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 am

max badwan wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
max badwan wrote:D-50s are hens teeth in Australia. Don't change hands that often, anyways.

I see them quite often. Just had a quick look in my local shop and they just sold one: http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?search=MSS+26087

I need to get out more....

And then, like buses, none for ages and now there seems to be a ton of them on ebay.au - is there a VSE effect in play?
max badwan

Gear: T1, XV 5080, JV 2080, VariOS (VC1), S 760, MKS 7/50/70, EX 8000, Poly 800, K 5000s, K 1000PX, K 1000GX, Mirage
Logic, Cubase, Reason

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:49 am

max badwan wrote:And then, like buses, none for ages and now there seems to be a ton of them on ebay.au - is there a VSE effect in play?

No, they're just the second most produced keyboard of all time, there's always lots around.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby max badwan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:45 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
max badwan wrote:And then, like buses, none for ages and now there seems to be a ton of them on ebay.au - is there a VSE effect in play?

No, they're just the second most produced keyboard of all time, there's always lots around.

bit OT, but I'd be interested in how many actually shipped to Australia, IIRC the ESQ 1 outsold the D-50 locally.
(btw I think I'm having "the VSE effect", the D-50 isn't on my radar normally, having been there and done that back in the '80s)
max badwan

Gear: T1, XV 5080, JV 2080, VariOS (VC1), S 760, MKS 7/50/70, EX 8000, Poly 800, K 5000s, K 1000PX, K 1000GX, Mirage
Logic, Cubase, Reason

Postby foodeater » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:27 pm

From a getting things done perspective, I think I'd go for a vsynth OG and vsynth xt. Boot the XT into D50 mode or use the vocal designer or use it as an effects processor that samples. Set your routing up right and you could keep going back and forth forever, layering, detuning, effecting and resampling.
foodeater

Postby Pro5 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:16 am

Just got a VC-1 card for my V-Synth, it's great. I prefer it to my actual D-50 because of a more hands on feel to editing and 'live updates' to filter changes. The ability to clean it up a little is good too (even though the D-50 mode itself already sounds cleaner than my D-50 so i leave it in that mode).

I have found the layout and screen of the V-synth lends itself greatly to programming the D-50 card, I thought i'd milked the D-50 dry after all these years and so many of them (my 5th currently) but within an hour I'd created patches I'd never have made on the D-50 even with software (and the PG-1000 doesn't work the same and is annoying itself)

Back to V-Synth.. it's just another reason I love this synth so much!!! Am very glad I got to try one out before dismissing it based on presets.
Pro5

Postby Pro5 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 am

a little update on my lovely 'dilemma' for anyone remotely curious... V-Synth is definitely the overall 'winner' to me, I would be insane to let that go to keep the JD-800. However, I LOVE the JD-800 so - yes am keeping both for the foreseeable future and believe they can co-exist usefully and beautifully. :D

They are pretty much my two favourite digital synths of all time - not my fault they are both made by Roland, just co-incidence.
Pro5

Postby steviox » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 pm

V-synth is a winner... I am spending time scratch programming analogue sounds in it, and I am never bored with the results...
I have had a lot of old gear, but now in limited space and funds for the time being. There is a lot of scope behind the v which has to be studied, I have yet to sample into it. But there lies the future.
steviox

Gear: korg piano, prophet 08 rack
Band: The Vee See Ohs

Postby jim777 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:23 am

I'd love a VC-1 card for my V-synth if I could find one reasonably priced. But then I guess there's a 1000 things I'd like to find reasonably priced! lol
even Siberia goes through the motions....
jim777

Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts