Roland VP-330 mk1 vs mk2?

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Roland VP-330 mk1 vs mk2?

Postby 8bit9bot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 am

I haven't really seen much talk about this... but I know there are 2 versions with 2 different front panels. As far as I know they sound identical... but am I wrong? Does anyone know more about the differences? Which version has more "heavy duty" switches? I assume the rocker switches are more robust than the push buttons.

Also... does anyone know if the wooden parts are real wood (like Sequential gear) or fake wood (like the Juno-60)?
8bit9bot

Gear: TX-802
Prophet-5

Advertisement:

Re: Roland VP-330 mk1 vs mk2?

Postby Z » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73595

I don't think Roland ever used solid wood.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby 8bit9bot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 am

wow that is quite helpful - i hate fake wood haha - but i think i can live with it for a VP330... now i just have to find one that's not a rip off price... kinda not expecting to
8bit9bot

Gear: TX-802
Prophet-5

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:55 pm

8bit9bot wrote:I haven't really seen much talk about this... but I know there are 2 versions with 2 different front panels. As far as I know they sound identical... but am I wrong? Does anyone know more about the differences? Which version has more "heavy duty" switches? I assume the rocker switches are more robust than the push buttons.

Also... does anyone know if the wooden parts are real wood (like Sequential gear) or fake wood (like the Juno-60)?

The difference in sound between the two versions can be neglected. I compared them side-by-side, and I wouldn´t be able to tell them apart in a blindfolded test (but since I´m a tone-deaf psycho, what do I know?). I own the Mk. 2 version and I´ve always got the sound from it I wanted.

The rocker switches on the Mk. 1 are mechanically a bit sturdier but the Reticon SAD BBDs these used are nearly impossible to find (especially the 1024). There are decent replacements for the LED switches of the Mk. 2 available.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby syntheticsolutions » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:22 pm

The rocker switches are much better than the push buttons IMO, the same rockers were used on the RS-505 and they are absolutely rock solid!

I have heard that the vocoder is different on the two models, the first revision has been described as having a more 'liquid' or 'vivid' sound.

To clarify, the mk1 has rocker switches and the mk2 has push buttons. I would absolutely love a mk1 VP-300. I have always wanted to find one and scrap that cheap plywood case. I would love to have a custom hardwood case built to contain both the VP and the RS in a similar style to a box or farfisa double stack :keys1:
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers
Band: Lunar Modular

Postby syntheticsolutions » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:25 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:the Reticon SAD BBDs these used are nearly impossible to find (especially the 1024).
Stephen

Are these chips relevant to the ensemble circuit? Was there a mechanical difference between the mk1 and mk2 that improved the reliability/availability of certain chips?
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.
syntheticsolutions

Gear: OB-8, Jupiter 4, Polysix, Juno 6, RS-505, MS-10, VC-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Dark Energy, Dark Time,Machinedrum, DX, RE-501, DC-50, Roland Rack, Foogers

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:21 pm

syntheticsolutions wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:the Reticon SAD BBDs these used are nearly impossible to find (especially the 1024).
Stephen

Are these chips relevant to the ensemble circuit? Was there a mechanical difference between the mk1 and mk2 that improved the reliability/availability of certain chips?

Reticon SDA 512/1024 are the holy grails of BBD technology. These were used for the ensemble section of the Rev. 1 model. They were re-engineered for Panasonic MN BBDs on the Rev. 2. Hence, many people claim to hear a significantly different kind of character (which is more like hearing fleas cough, as we say in German).

The only mechanical difference is the type of keyboard used with Mk. 1 VPs as it´s the one used on the Jupiter 4 as well. Later, the keybed was also changed, as well as the switches.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby syntheticsolutions » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:50 pm

[/quote]

The only mechanical difference is the type of keyboard used with Mk. 1 VPs as it´s the one used on the Jupiter 4 as well. Later, the keybed was also changed, as well as the switches.

Stephen[/quote]

Ah yes, I almost forgot about the change of keyboard. did the mk2 utilise the same keyboard as the juno and jupiter models?
syntheticsolutions

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 pm

syntheticsolutions wrote:

ppg_wavecomputer wrote: The only mechanical difference is the type of keyboard used with Mk. 1 VPs as it´s the one used on the Jupiter 4 as well. Later, the keybed was also changed, as well as the switches.

Stephen

Ah yes, I almost forgot about the change of keyboard. did the mk2 utilise the same keyboard as the juno and jupiter models?[/quote]

I think so, it´s just an octave shorter.

Stephen
ppg_wavecomputer

Return to Synth Shootouts