Talk me out of getting a Polysix

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Talk me out of getting a Polysix

Postby moremagic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 am

the polysix is always going to sound like a polysix,
it can be a little noisy, a little silly, a little quirky, but its got rock solid hz/v vcos and the filters when calibrated sound great. i need to get mine back on the stand and open it up and tune the filters and everything . . .

its a really great machine, sometimes i even prefer it for arps over the mono/poly, and thats saying something!
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Advertisement:

Postby ryryoftokyo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Nope. Just buy it already. It's a synthesizer with a major mood disorder and you need it.
Moog Multimoog Korg MS20 Korg Electribe EMX Korg Electribe EA1 Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Blofeld Yamaha AN1x Korg microKORG Roland Juno 60 Yamaha DX7 Roland Alpha Juno 2 Korg Poly 61 Roland JX8P Sequential Circuits Split 8 Korg Monotron Delay
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: EOC

Postby silikon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

I never really got on with it. The core sound of the machine seemed rather dull, noticeably lacking top-end. I recall quite vividly having to do major callisthenics to get it to sound interesting.

It definitely has a mood disorder, which was another thing that pissed me off about the thing.

To be honest and transparent, the Polysix, the Junos, they never really did anything for me. Ever. I tried them all on at least one lengthy occasion. I'm going to get fingers wagged for saying this likely, but I loved the sound of the Alesis Ion far more than I ever did of those analogue machines (speaking strictly of the Juno6/60/106 and Polysix). There is simply no shame in enjoying a VA, and the Ion far outshines those machines, for the same or less than you'd find a Polysix.

Far be it from me to dissuade you from giving it a go, because you may have completely different feelings about it than I, and anything I say should be assumed opinion and nothing more. That said, if you do decide to get one, I suggest you splash out for the polysex mod, which is a brilliant and welcome addition.

Forgot to add one last thing; the comments about the P600 I would tend to agree with. Much more interesting sound, more depth, plenty fun to play.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Pro5 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 pm

monolith wrote:No it was absolutely fine, i meant the ssm korg Polysix filter in general, I think its just the 'weakest part of both those synths.

monolith wrote:?

The filter is the MAIN thing (Other than the fact it's VCO) that people crave/love the polysix for. It may not be the best SSM filter out there but it's certainly a juicy one. It does things no roland filter in competing (price wise) synths does. I would say its discreet VCO and its filter are the reason people like them, with many other reasons being their weaker aspects (only one VCO, crappy keybed etc) - put it in mono mode (chord mode with 2 notes the same using hold to get them) and set up a bit of PWM motion, it's gorgeous! This is where being VCO pays off (vs Junos etc)

Then there's the unison bass (another VCO positive) and arp stuff with slowly sweeping filter that sounds way more powerful and electronic than the Juno stuff. Juno 60 is a solid synth but does far less range of things for me, they are all very simple synths though - but you know that going in. And the P6 is a VCO synth which counts a lot to some people. It's probably one of the best sounding single VCO poly synths still around for less than a grand! That's another reason people love it (the ones that do). Also you have to get to know its nuances, slight tweaks of the knobs here n there. I can make a bank of crappy sounding patches easily enough and dismiss it, then the next time I could make a bank of beautiful pure analog goodness that pay for the price of admission alone...

Anyway each to their own, Polysix isn't without faults and it is quite highly priced these days. Luckily I got both of mine for ridiculously cheap (cheaper than what alpha junos go for these days)

P600s tend to go a bit higher price than polysix - even now - so I'd hope they have a little more kick to them (god knows they got just as bad keybeds in other ways).

Watch on youtube.com
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:44 am

Well, all the ones I was watching went out of my price range, so that's that for the moment. Still, the discussion was good, and I was reminded of why I wanted a Polysix to begin with, as well as learning why I also want a Prophet 600...though I guess that means this thread failed at its stated purpose!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Dr. Phibes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 am

I've learnt that even when it comes to fairly niche interests like analogue synths different people appreciate different subtleties. As far as I'm concerned, I've bought and sold greater synths while the P6 stays firmly in my possession. On the other hand, I know others that try it and pretty soon decide it's not for them. I've got no idea what you really look for in a synth so all I can say is be patient, wait for a good offer and see if it is for you; if that's not the case, you can always just sell it on.
Dr. Phibes

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 am

Dr. Phibes wrote:I've got no idea what you really look for in a synth

I like a characteristic, organic sound (I've got little use for a synth that doesn't put its own mark on the noises you make with it, it's like the sonic equivalent of bland store-brand peanut butter,) as much control to-hand as possible, and a reasonably flexible architecture. I'm also fond of classic analog effects. Both the Polysix and the Junos seem like good choices on those fronts, from what I know of them; I like the Juno-6/60's filter better in the demos I've heard, but the Polysix wins out on the organic front since the Junos are DCO, and it's also got more options for its chorus/ensemble (though the Juno's certainly is nice.) And the Polysix goes cheaper, to boot...
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Dr. Phibes » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 am

I think that the P6 would tick many of those boxes which I suppose in the context of this thread isn't the right thing to say, so... erm, yeah.
Dr. Phibes

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:46 am

'sokay, all the ones I was looking at buying went out of my price range anyway ;) Another day...
commodorejohn

Postby moremagic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:20 pm

i cant get the tape backup input working on mine, and you have to press real hard on some of the patch memory buttons sometimes, which just requires more laborious knob twisting!
you shouldn't get a polysix ;)
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide