furniture & stands

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

furniture & stands

Postby 8bit9bot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:45 am

i was wondering if you all could all just list some of your favorite furniture for setting up the synths and computers etc...

i'm looking for some new keystands, speaker stands, a swivel chair w/ casters & height adjustability, floor lamps, table lamps, maybe tables, maybe bookshelves, maybe a sofa chair for my dog to chill on while i'm working in here - this whole room needs to level up

i could spend a ton of time doing research or i can get a head start by you guys (synth weirdos) recommending some stuff that you like

so far... i think i like the k&m omega keystands from what i've seen online... i'm gonna order one and try it
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Advertisement:

Re: furniture & stands

Postby synthroom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:02 am

The K&M Omega keystands looks kind of spendy... $200 for a single synth?

I've gone through the 2 and 3 tier stands offered at Guitar Center, and while I like the Pro-Line 2 tier:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ProLine-Add ... 1446330.gc
It's really not suited if you have some big, old keys. And way buy something that you're going to have to sell on down the line someday.

So if you have the room, I'd get one of these On Stage 3 tier psuedo-A frame stands:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage-St ... 1142213.gc

Or better, get a used Ultimate A-frame, there's usually someone selling them nearby...

I made my own monitor stand out of some plywood and edging from Home Depot. A little reinforcement on the underside of the plywood top, and it's rigid enough to hold 3 24" computer monitors and some powered speakers on the ends. It's about 7 ft long, and raises them about 8 inched above my meager 5ft folding office table from Office Max...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby maindeglorie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 am

I can recommend the K&M Spider stands - they hold up to 230 lbs of synth per stand and you can add tiers. They have a smaller footprint, look awesome and transport wonderfully. I'd take them over the Omega stands. I love em.
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 am

I like Quiklok stuff personally;

http://www.quiklok.it/

Also, K&M, Jaspers, Ultimate Support, etc
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby 8bit9bot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:11 pm

cool... im def moving into the "spendy" price range now... no diy stuff anymore... i have plenty of cheap solutions already... just looking for some pointers to cool stuff basically... keep em coming unless really no one cares about chairs and lamps... which i suppose is possible
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby Jorvik » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:37 pm

maindeglorie wrote:I can recommend the K&M Spider stands - they hold up to 230 lbs of synth per stand and you can add tiers. They have a smaller footprint, look awesome and transport wonderfully. I'd take them over the Omega stands. I love em.

A +1 on the Spider Pro. Before that I tried an (admittedly quite cheap) A-frame and within 20 minutes one layer flipped my Logan String Melody II over backwards onto my Laserjet printer, damaging it :cry:. Fortunately, the Logan wasn't damaged but my Dark Energy, sat atop the Logan, suffered cosmetic injuries. I'm damn glad I hadn't got as far as loading my Solina onto it, that thing's heavy and in mint condition (and I want it to stay that way). The stand went straight back and the synths went back on trusty double-X/extension stands until I could get the Spider.

The Spider Pro holds the two stringers; Dark Energy, A100 minicase, Mopho Keys and a couple of Volcas (atop the Logan); assorted crap atop the Solina; and a Pro Soloist and it's absolutely rock solid. There's a lot of good design in it and it's very well built.

Not cheap, but not particularly expensive either, I'm really glad I got one of these chairs from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

It's really comfortable, decent amount of adjustment, doesn't take up too much space (although I do wonder whether I'd be better removing the arm-rests) and doesn't get too sticky in summer thanks to the perforated back-rest.
Jorvik

Gear: Axxe, Odyssey & Pro Soloist; Mopho keybd; Dark Energy & A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty SII

Postby vcs3 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:32 pm

I use Ikea :-)
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 pm

I've got a Herman Miller Aeron chair in my studio, it's one of the best things I've ever bought for music making. I can be sitting down all day working on stuff and never get tired or sore, if you've got the budget for one you should get it.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby 8bit9bot » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I've got a Herman Miller Aeron chair in my studio, it's one of the best things I've ever bought for music making. I can be sitting down all day working on stuff and never get tired or sore, if you've got the budget for one you should get it.

interesting - i've heard these advertised on NPR - it is outside of my chair allotment at the moment but maybe i will check it out in the future - thanks :D
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:10 am

Seriously, just get one. I couldn't afford one when I got mine either and it's the best thing I've ever done. :D
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby 8bit9bot » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:14 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Seriously, just get one. I couldn't afford one when I got mine either and it's the best thing I've ever done. :D

:lol:
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby synthparts » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 am

The Office Depot Aeron knock-off has held up well for me for several years now. It's less than half the price of the Aeron...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby BradDabney » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:54 am

Many options are available in market that are half of the price you are saying, you can use the left over amount in buying other things as well. I have Strukture Deluxe Double Brace Keyboard and Bench you can give it a try.
BradDabney

Postby c-level » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:55 pm

i used a now sadly discontinued RTA 'creation station' studio desk. holds my pair 8" MAudio studio monitors and about a 14" VGA computer monitor. i have on stage stand metal monitor stands for my rear surround monitors but you couldnt pay me to put my front monitors on them. they are a bit dodgy and def lose some resonance/physical motion to them. I have a 3 tier on stage stand and i have no problems with it unlike everyone else in here who cries about them breaking after stacking two yamaha CS's on theirs....

just took a job as a cashier at a liquor store. and while i was like "im gonna buy X synth, Y synth" with my first paycheck, after standing all day the first thing im gonna buy is an office chair with a proper back.... mine fell off some months ago....
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40
Band: C-Level

Postby Jabberwalky » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 am

I'm also using an rta desk and ended up sawing a few inches off each shelf to fit a larger lcd
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide