Roland V-Synth vs Jupiter 8

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Roland V-Synth vs Jupiter 8

Postby Pro5 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 pm

well even if emulating analog isn't your thing - if you are trying to cut down on synths, I find the V-Synth can do plenty of good analog emulations 'in a mix' - from PWM plinky stuff that sounds like a mix between juno and polysix, maybe even a bit JP8, to wavey pads n strings - and that's just using the VA side!

It's a very flexible synth and we'll all have many uses for it - it's by far the most useful synth I own and would be the one I'd keep if I could only have one synth. And for that I thank Roland that it can kinda emulate sometimes needed 'analog-esque' tones... of course then you have the whole world of what the V-Synth can really do that makes it so great! :D
V-SYNTH | JX-3P | AN1x | JD-800 | POLYSIX x2 | PERFORMER
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Advertisement:

Postby pflosi » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Lucky me that I'm not at all trying to cut down on synths ;)
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby robotunes » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 pm

Pro5 wrote:
Pro5 wrote: SY77 sampled in became works of art once mangled or enhanced through the beautiful V-Synth engine.

+1

sy77 and vsynth are soulmates. i confess, tho, that i do miss the immediacy of the jp6 i sold. can't have it all.

do you regret not getting the jp8 sometimes?
robotunes

Postby Pro5 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 am

robotunes wrote:
Pro5 wrote:
Pro5 wrote: SY77 sampled in became works of art once mangled or enhanced through the beautiful V-Synth engine.

+1

sy77 and vsynth are soulmates. i confess, tho, that i do miss the immediacy of the jp6 i sold. can't have it all.

do you regret not getting the jp8 sometimes?

I'd love to have one, if they weren't such silly prices. I'd also like to try a JP-6 at some point but not sure I'd keep it. Have had immediate synths (junos - while basic) and the polysix and there is definitely a feeling they give you, like a guitar, just plug, tweak play.

What I like about deeper synths like the V is that I can purposely set out to discover/create new/unique sounds for my work and that is another kind of 'excitment' simpler knob-per-function synths can't give me. Depends on the mindset and the goal - the overall music or the enjoyment of playing/tweaking. I find the V is pretty decent anyway as it's a joy to program and very useful at the heart of a synth setup spitting out it's arpeggiator midi data to other synths, hooked to the DAW's tempo. I can noodle around with that kind of thing for just as long as I do with a basic sound on a knobby synth.

I also have found the Prophecy combos nicely with the V-synth for arp/solo lines MIDI'd together. And both deep synths in different ways.

Still got a 'spare' SY77 here actually and may hook it up later (not in my sig because I plan to sell it - great synth but need to downsize and the V is covering my big digital needs now, the TX802 the FM)
HAD: SH101/JUNO 1,2,6,60/MKS70,50/JX8P/D50,70/JV1080/AX80/SY77,85/DX7,IID,S,100 /TG77,500/TX802,81Z/MS2k/DW8000/PROPHECY/WAVESTATION/M1/KSRACK/CZ1
Pro5

Postby robotunes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Pro5 wrote:What I like about deeper synths like the V is that I can purposely set out to discover/create new/unique sounds

exactly what i love about the sy77. i feel like i'm designing oscillators, as if each voice/patch is a completely different synth. the tx802, to a lesser extent (though i dig me some alternate assign mode action!!!)

maybe a tg77 is in order for you? the sy/tg is best when it's not trying to be a "dx7mk3" lol

funny, we seem to have similar tastes in synths. i couldn't get along with the prophecy when i had one, but now that i'm much more experienced at programming, i may give it/z1 a try.
robotunes

Postby Pro5 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:56 am

I've had a TG77 but sold it eventually (3 '77s was enough for any man lol)

And no, i never treated my 77s like DX7 mk3s? no way - The patches I had on it could only be done on the 77 with the AFM. DX7 didn't come close (and I've had every DX7 and compared them).

8-)

re the prophecy - absolutely ZERO problems here programming it, honestly, it's not that hard even the menu system and clicking around is pretty logical vs some synths. I often used to program the D-50 from the keyboard itself through the letterbox and the proph is like that BUT far far easier and well thought out. I love how free it is with it's design - a bunch of envs and lfos to do what you like with, no illogical architecture saying 'lfo 2 must only be used for Pitch' or whatever to get in the way. It provides the tools you provide the sound. Also I really like the raw sound of it's oscs and the filter is pretty good too for digital.

(edit > as a VA though I think the AN1x beats the prophecy on emulating vintage analog)
Pro5

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts