Microbrute vs. Doepfer Dark Engery I

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Microbrute vs. Doepfer Dark Engery I

Postby Aaron2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:58 am

Well, I hate to admit it, but that expensive piece of German hardware does not, in my mind, measure up to the new (and cheap) Arturia Microbrute.

I've been playing them side-by-side the last couple of days, sequencing them simultaneously with my Dark Time (listening to one, then the other). I've found the MB much easier to work with and to find a sound that I like. The controls seems so much more intuitive too. All in all, with its multi-wave oscillator, the MB seems to have more "range" as a music-making device. Plus, you get a built-in sequencer and a serviceable set of keys to boot. Not bad for $299 street.

Anybody else compared these two beasts? 8-)
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Advertisement:

Re: Microbrute vs. Doepfer Dark Engery I

Postby analoglsd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 am

As you pointed out, there's not much of a comparison. Even if they were the same price, the Microbrute has it beat.
analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Eurorack vs. MPC1000
Band: USAforLSD

Postby Bitexion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Many seem to think that just because it says "modular synth" means it has limitless possibilities. But something small like the Dark Energy is very limited indeed. Maybe if you look at those wall-sized systems of the 70s and 80s with 10 oscillators and every kind of imaginable filters, then you can say "limitless possibilities".
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Kenneth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 am

The Dark Energy has a much more musical tonality about it in my opinion, than either of the Brutes. That does not, however, excuse it from being horrendously over-priced. :roll:
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Return to Synth Shootouts