help making the classic apex twin cold synth

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

help making the classic apex twin cold synth

Postby zardoz677 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsKNApVtP_k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGC90fmf8gw

The classic lead here sound like some high pitched sine wave with reverb but I hear this filter movement.

Any idea how to make this?
I know I heard he used a dx7 with analog filter in these days..Would this be an fm bell or something?
zardoz677

Advertisement:

Re: help making the classic apex twin cold synth

Postby Projectile » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Classic lead sound? Huh? You realize that's a pad sound, right? There are no leads in either of those clips. The pad sound is mostly due to the reverb. It's completely smothered in a really lush reverb with long decay. Definitely doesn't sound like a DX7 to me.
Projectile

Postby zardoz677 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up the definition ....
So helpful

Anyone care to provide a few pointers on how it could be made in terms of oscillator type, filter etc.

It's funny cause it sounds simple but I rarely hear anyone else use this sound
zardoz677

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Try something simple, like playing a chord with a patch that's a saw wave with the filter cutoff set about halfway down, perhaps a bit higher to taste, and run that through a reverb with a long decay trail. The reverb is really a strong element in the first video. You may be able to get close to the source sound with the above, and you could try tweaking the resonance or envelope amount to get closer, or figure out what you might want to sweep. It's worthy to note also that sometimes a sound needs harmony to really bloom, so one note of the aphex patch may sound a lot different than a chord of it. You also sometimes need to add subtle pitch variation, or accompanying intervals at much lower volume which will appear as though they are changing the timbral quality of the patch, rather than being audible as note variation/ extra notes. It's all in the details sometimes. This is just good stuff for pads in general btw.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:45 pm

another possibility is that it's a plucked sound with medium to short decay run through a reverb with an absolutely huge decay time and no damping!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby zardoz677 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:23 am

ninja6485 wrote:Try something simple, like playing a chord with a patch that's a saw wave with the filter cutoff set about halfway down, perhaps a bit higher to taste, and run that through a reverb with a long decay trail. The reverb is really a strong element in the first video. You may be able to get close to the source sound with the above, and you could try tweaking the resonance or envelope amount to get closer, or figure out what you might want to sweep. It's worthy to note also that sometimes a sound needs harmony to really bloom, so one note of the aphex patch may sound a lot different than a chord of it. You also sometimes need to add subtle pitch variation, or accompanying intervals at much lower volume which will appear as though they are changing the timbral quality of the patch, rather than being audible as note variation/ extra notes. It's all in the details sometimes. This is just good stuff for pads in general btw.

Thanks. Ive come pretty close! Heres what I did: I used a patch with a saw wave (reason thor multioscellator ) and a sine wave thing. It all goes into a band pass filter to get the approximate sound, then into a reverb and heres the kicker... after the reverb into another filter (lp 12). This is the one that I use to manually adjust the cut off a bit with each note to give it the movement. Its pretty close although there is a bit of vibrato in the pitch or volume or something.... Thanks for the tips everyone!
zardoz677

Return to Sound Production