Minibrute Vs. Microbrute

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Minibrute Vs. Microbrute

Postby somebedroomdj » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:21 am

I have a Minibrute but I'm trying to decide if I might want to also pick up a Microbrute. So, the Micro has the sequencer and the patch points but loses a few controls and gains a couple of other controls (as I understand it). But now I've seen that someone modded the Minibrute with a breakout box with several patchpoints (not sure if it is acceptable to link to another forum here). And as for the sequencer, I sequence my Mini externally.

So it comes down strictly to sound. Anyone who owns or has used both of these, how much overlap is there, really? Are they basically the same beast when you get right down to it?
Synths: | Spectralis 1 | JP-8000 | Minibrute | TT-303 |
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | ESX-1 | SP-808 | ST-224 | MS-1
somebedroomdj

Advertisement:

Re: Minibrute Vs. Microbrute

Postby Black Tomorrow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:52 am

I own neither but I'm contemplating getting both. From what I've seen in some youtube demos, they seem to work quite well together. There is plenty of overlap, but each has abilities the other doesn't. Besides, if you control one with the other, you basically have a reasonably priced 2 VCO monosynth. Consider also that the note priority is switchable on both, thus allowing the pair to act like a duophonic synth.

About that patchpoint mod for the mini, yes, send the link. That would be a great mod to have. Plus, I've seen plenty of mods for vintage analogs, but I've been wondering if anyone has done any mods for modern analogs.

But if anyone who has used both would care to chime in...
Black Tomorrow

Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, GPO4

Postby robotunes » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:41 am

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... -both.html

mini + micro does not equal a 2 vco synth because you can't detune them by more than a semitone or something like that.

there are arguments for getting both, but it makes more sense to me to use something that covers different ground.

EDIT:

fwiw, i'm planning to get the micro, mainly because:

1) it can sound like 2 oscs pitched a fifth apart
2) you can use CC values from a sequencer to change the hidden parameters (don't need a computer).
3) it has pitch modulation for making drums and basses with a hard attack

i'll miss the noise and extra lfo, but the 3 things above, plus its size, means micro beats mini for my needs.
Last edited by robotunes on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robotunes

Postby pmh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:14 pm

I haven't had the opportunity to try either but, from the reviews I have read, and the YouTube videos I have seen, they both seem excellent synths, especially for the price.

Putting their differences aside, size would be a consideration for me.

The Microbrute does stand out as being the most desirable of the two for my tastes, but it's smaller key size does put me off a little.

Kind regards,

Phil
pmh

Postby Swayze » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 am

somebedroomdj wrote:So it comes down strictly to sound.

If that's the case, having both Brutes would be really redundant imho. I bought the Microbrute because it was a cheap and portable alternative that provided me with a modern analog sound with a fun sequencer to sweeten the deal. Since you already have the Mini, I think you'd be way better off getting the new Arturia Beatstep to pair with it.
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, Microbrute, AX80, JX3P, V-Synth, JD990, TG77, EX8000, CZ101, Drumtraks

Postby somebedroomdj » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input, some good points for each side. As it turns out, I am convinced that the universe wants me to have both. lol I put in an offer on a Microbrute on Ebay today and it was accepted... $215. I figure I really can't go wrong for that price. So I'm going to see which one I get on with better or if they really do add to each other (there are some awesome youtube vids to support this). And if need be, I can sell one of them on and pick up something a little sonically different.

I was also thinking it might be cool to keep the Mini upstairs with my main gear cluster and then use maybe a Microbrute/ESX combo to mess around with when I'm chillin in the living room or bedroom or whatever. That could be a lot of fun I think.

...and then I just have to wonder, what kind of shenanigans could I get up to if I were to do the breakout box mod on the Mini. I mean, a guy could get some seriously complex modulations going between the two, right??? Or is that breakout mod not exactly what I think it is (basically like the patchpoints on the Micro)?
somebedroomdj

Postby pmh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:24 pm

That's a good point.

It is always good to have a Synth which you can use downstairs, whilst the good lady is watching something on the television.

I currently have a mini usb keyboard which sits nicely on my laptop, but this restricts me to soft synths.

Maybe the smaller key size on the micro isn't that bad! :D

Kind regards,

Phil
pmh

Postby Swayze » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Funny how the last post became the inspiration for it's own thread...

To the OP, after spending some quality time with the micro, you were wise to pick one up. :thumbright:

It's a fantastic synth and with your mini, they'll make a killer combo. I like mine so much I'll probably be looking for a good deal on it's big brother now to. Such a great sound and extremely flexible, Arturia really hit it out of the park with these.
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, Microbrute, AX80, JX3P, V-Synth, JD990, TG77, EX8000, CZ101, Drumtraks

Postby somebedroomdj » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:44 pm

pmh wrote:It is always good to have a Synth which you can use downstairs, whilst the good lady is watching something on the television.

Exactly! :D I'm thinking a Volca beats might be just the thing to pair it with, the more I consider it. Amazing time we are in right now. For a few hundred bucks, an analog synth and drum machine combo that sits on your lap. Love it.

Swayze wrote:To the OP, after spending some quality time with the micro, you were wise to pick one up. :thumbright:

It's a fantastic synth and with your mini, they'll make a killer combo. I like mine so much I'll probably be looking for a good deal on it's big brother now to. Such a great sound and extremely flexible, Arturia really hit it out of the park with these.

Glad to hear you say that, it sounds like the Micro has really made an impression on you. :) I feel the same way about my Mini, it's tons of fun to just turn it on and start tweaking. Really amazing, the range you can get out of it. I also have a Monotribe that I do the CV thing with, so I'm really looking forward to trying the Mini, the Micro and Mono all layered together.
somebedroomdj

Postby robotunes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:06 am

anybody having any trouble with the keybeds? since september or so, lots of moaning on the arturia site about broken keys, especially about newly arrived minibrutes.

not so much about the micro, which is the one i want. problems, anyone?
robotunes

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 am

I haven't had any problems with my minibrute. Apparently the first run had some issues with the key weights falling off in transit, but I heard they fixed that now.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby somebedroomdj » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:31 pm

It's weird, I had an issue with aftertouch, where I'd push down and the sound would cut in and out. Notes would play fine, it was when AT was engaged. I had read about people having to go in and hot glue a connection in there so I went in and checked it out. Everything seemed to be solid with the connection and, besides that, I chickened out. Then I closed her up and just didn't use the AT for while. Then one day (probably a couple of weeks later or so), I turned it on and it worked perfectly.

But as far as problems with the key weights that Stab Frenzy mentioned, I can luckily say that I have not experienced any of that.

I do, however, have an issue where one of the envelope indicator lights will come on when I turn the machine on and things will be screwy. When it happens, I simply turn it off and on again right away and it goes away every time.

She's a little bit flawed, like myself, but I love her. lol
somebedroomdj

Postby ColorForm2113 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 pm

robotunes wrote:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/881412-minibrute-microbrute-both.html

mini + micro does not equal a 2 vco synth because you can't detune them by more than a semitone or something like that.

there are arguments for getting both, but it makes more sense to me to use something that covers different ground.

EDIT:

fwiw, i'm planning to get the micro, mainly because:

1) it can sound like 2 oscs pitched a fifth apart
2) you can use CC values from a sequencer to change the hidden parameters (don't need a computer).
3) it has pitch modulation for making drums and basses with a hard attack

i'll miss the noise and extra lfo, but the 3 things above, plus its size, means micro beats mini for my needs.

you can tune the micro independently of the mini, if my theory is correct. mod wheel patch out to pitch cv in and then use the mod wheel as a tuning knob. granted you can only tune up unless you bring in some outside modular gear, but you can still tune them independently.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby somebedroomdj » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 am

I just got my Micro today. I am amazed at the size reduction and how much functionality they were able to retain. But I have to say, the overlap makes it hard to justify keeping both (the price makes it a little easier). I haven't yet started playing around with layering them and throwing the Monotribe into the mix; should be fun to do that all day tomorrow.

The Mini has midi out, which is very convenient when I want to chill on the couch and want a small keyboard to go with my MC-909. The patchbay is cool but there is a good chance that will lead to "Well that module looks cool. Sure, I don't have any other ones to go with it but I do have that Microbrute. It would almost be criminal to not use it to it's full potential...." Sounds like I'm being facetious, but I know how I am and I know that starting a modular at this particular time for me would be a horrible idea.

Is it just me, or does the Micro have a slightly faster LFO than the Mini?
somebedroomdj

Postby pmh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Good to hear it arrived, and I am sure the evenings will fly by.

I've just been given a relocation allowance from work, so I am now giving some thought as to what to treat myself to.

The mini and micro are high up the list, but I won't get both.

One you've had time to run them side by side, I would be interested to read your observations and recommendations as to which one you would keep.

Keep us informed.

Kind regards,

Phil
pmh

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts