Waldorf Pulse or Minibrute?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Waldorf Pulse or Minibrute?

Postby ejlif » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:04 pm

I want to add another bass type synth to my arsenal. I have the slim phatty and since it only has a single output I have a lonely single input available on my interface. Might as well give it a home. I know the pluse has a stereo output would there be much difference just running mono? The mini brute is just mono. I like both of these synths. I already have a Waldof Q so not sure if I am retreading getting a pulse. I also have a Roland Vsynth, Juno 106 and Virus Ti and lots of plugs into Live 9. I am finding that I am getting better inspiration and overall better sound with the outboard gear so I am leaning that way. I am also looking at the Dave Smith Prophet 12 and Elektron Analog 4. Seems like the Minibrute might be the most unlike the other gear I have but just thought you guys might have an opinion.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Advertisement:

Re: Waldorf Pulse or Minibrute?

Postby WhiteIsBeautiful » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 pm

i use my minibrute for alot of things. bass/leads/effects. its my go to synth. i can use it for acid/house/techno tracks then for industrial/noise stuff. im really a fan of the filter/amp envelopes. very well rounded. hook it up to a sequencer for major fun!
WhiteIsBeautiful

Postby Bitexion » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 pm

I'd vote for Minibrute. It is different enough that it is fun to play with, not "just another analog mono" like so many others. The filter and the feedback (brute factor), plus that crazy oscillator section makes it more fun than any standard analog monosynth to me.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Aaron2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:48 am

Get a Bass Station II instead. Man, that thing's a beast. Plus, it has way more features than the Minibrute for the same price.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:28 am

And the Pulse 2 has more features than either...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:52 am

Aaron2 wrote:Get a Bass Station II instead. Man, that thing's a beast. Plus, it has way more features than the Minibrute for the same price.

Totally apples and oranges. BS2 doesn't have any of the things that make the MB so great; ie VCOs, that filter, the wavefolder, sawtooth animator, CV/gate. Likewise the BS2 has a bunch of stuff the MB doesn't have. And they sound totally different to one another. To me the BS2 has that rigid, cold DCO sound and the filter sounds lifeless. The MB sounds so fuzzy and breathing and alive in comparison, and that's what I like about it.

As always, one man's cold is another man's precise etc, but that's why you can't really say objectively that one is better than the other. It's like comparing a Juno 6 with a Polysix.

Re: choosing something by the amount of features it has: You know what company makes things with the most features for the price? Behringer. Give me sound quality and playability over features any day.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Percivale » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:06 am

If you can live with monophonic voice without patches, Minibrute is a good buy :)
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby Aaron2 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:Get a Bass Station II instead. Man, that thing's a beast. Plus, it has way more features than the Minibrute for the same price.

Totally apples and oranges. BS2 doesn't have any of the things that make the MB so great; ie VCOs, that filter, the wavefolder, sawtooth animator, CV/gate. Likewise the BS2 has a bunch of stuff the MB doesn't have. And they sound totally different to one another. To me the BS2 has that rigid, cold DCO sound and the filter sounds lifeless. The MB sounds so fuzzy and breathing and alive in comparison, and that's what I like about it.

As always, one man's cold is another man's precise etc, but that's why you can't really say objectively that one is better than the other. It's like comparing a Juno 6 with a Polysix.

Re: choosing something by the amount of features it has: You know what company makes things with the most features for the price? Behringer. Give me sound quality and playability over features any day.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that feature count should be the sole criterion that one should consider. But I do think the BSII has a lot going for it at that price point. To me -- and maybe because the first synths I ever used were '80s DCO polysynths -- I really like the way the BSII sounds. As far as I'm concerned, the BSII is just a lot more versatile than the MB.

But that's just one man's opinion. It's like arguing about whether chocolate ice cream is better than java chip, right? It's all a matter of personal taste. [But for the record, it's java chip all the way! :lol: ]
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:13 am

I say that if all you care about is bass, get a danged Minitaur. You want bass, it has bass.

However, if you want a solid, non-sketchy synth in regard to CV... maybe not.

If you want a powerful monosynth that does an incredible amount of things, bass, lead, or otherwise... that has one of the most powerful oscillators ever seen in a single-oscillator monosynth... THEN you should get a MiniBrute.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, ARP 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Dubreq S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Hohner Pianet T, Wurlitzer 7300, Wurlitzer 145-A.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby ejlif » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:37 am

Whoa I guess i missed somehow that the mini brute can't store programs? Wow that is a pretty big deal. So you have to make you sound up each time you want to change it. I watched demos and looked at spec but I somehow missed this very important feature. I suppose you can just record the audio each time but wow what a pain. I wonder why they would not include that feature?
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Postby Kenneth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am

Excuse me! I realize this isn't the most important factor here, but I was under the impression that the bass station II had voltage controlled oscillators! Where have we heard otherwise?
Kenneth

Gear: Voyager. Microbrute. Monotron. Monotron Duo. Monotribe. Dark Time. Casiotone 405
Band: Glacier Academy

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Kenneth wrote:Excuse me! I realize this isn't the most important factor here, but I was under the impression that the bass station II had voltage controlled oscillators! Where have we heard otherwise?

What gave you that idea?

ejlif wrote:Whoa I guess i missed somehow that the mini brute can't store programs? Wow that is a pretty big deal. So you have to make you sound up each time you want to change it. I watched demos and looked at spec but I somehow missed this very important feature. I suppose you can just record the audio each time but wow what a pain. I wonder why they would not include that feature?

Patch memory would have increased the price by quite a margin, and it's a really simple synth so you just need to learn how to use it rather than rely on factory presets. :idea:
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Percivale » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Well, there are some patch sheets (overlay) included if that is of any help.

ejlif wrote:Whoa I guess i missed somehow that the mini brute can't store programs? Wow that is a pretty big deal. So you have to make you sound up each time you want to change it. I watched demos and looked at spec but I somehow missed this very important feature. I suppose you can just record the audio each time but wow what a pain. I wonder why they would not include that feature?
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:32 pm

I guess the OP meant Pulse 2? If so, I prefer it to the Brute. So many modulation options. :twisted:
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby Bitexion » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Patch memory would increase the price, since you'd basically need an internal computer to send and read parameters to the synth, an LCD screen to show the parameters, put some RAM in there for storage, plus they'd lose the "completely 100% analog synth" gimmick thing aswell.

There was a market for the Minimoog Voyager Oldschool even, where they took a Voyager and removed all the digital stuff, including patch memory.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Next

Return to General Synthesizers