Minibrute Vs. Microbrute

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Minibrute Vs. Microbrute

Postby somebedroomdj » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:41 pm

I have to say, the only thing you'll get from me on the topic is indecision. :lol: I love them both. To be expected I guess, given how similar they are.

On the Micro, I really, really like the range of sounds you can get on the sub osc with the new sub-fifth knob. Something about the timbres you get out of this is very pleasing to me. The ability to modulate PWM, saw, etc is very nice but I do miss the extra LFO waves that the Mini has. And I don't know how to account for this, but I've been finding it easier to get softer tones out of the Micro.

The Mini, it's great that more of the controls are on the face and the vibrato is nice to have. I feel that I get more bottom end out of it. Playing with patch cords is fun (my son loves them!) but *most* of the stuff I like about the patchbay on the Micro is present on the Minibrute with decicated controls. I may be in the minority, but I find the Mini's arpeggiator more useful than the Micro's sequencer. I might see that differently if I had modules to sequence, but I don't.

I'm far from any kind of expert, but I would say if you need a smaller footprint and have or plan on having modular gear, I would go for the Micro. Otherwise, I think I'd recommend the Mini.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep them both! lol
Synths: | JP-8000 | Minibrute | Microbrute | Monotribe |
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | RS-7000 | ESX-1 | | SU-700 | SP-808 | ST-224 | MPX8 | SP-505 |
somebedroomdj

Advertisement:

Postby Walter Ego » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47 pm

robotunes wrote:mini + micro does not equal a 2 vco synth because you can't detune them by more than a semitone or something like that.

So...you have a Minibrute and Microbrute and you detune them...THAN WHAT?

...sorry for the troll...
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby Bitexion » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Nothing, that's all you can do with two similar 1VCO synths xD
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby somebedroomdj » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 am

Well don't I feel stupid. You guys have something cool and extremely obvious I should be trying with these two or what?
Samplers/Drums/Etc: | MC-909 | RS-7000 | ESX-1 | | SU-700 | SP-808 | ST-224 | MPX8 | SP-505 |
somebedroomdj

Postby Swayze » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:29 am

somebedroomdj wrote:Well don't I feel stupid. You guys have something cool and extremely obvious I should be trying with these two or what?

Don't trip, walter was just referencing a thread from another forum...type, "You have 2 Osc and you detune them..than what?" into your search engine and you'll see he's just having a laugh at that thread starter, not you. As far as detuning the brutes, wouldn't the fine tune knobs on the back panels render some effect, even if it's only a few semi-tones?
Swayze

Gear: Mono/Poly, Microbrute, AX80, JX3P, VSynth, CZ101, Drumtraks

Postby somebedroomdj » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Oh my, that is a relief. lol :lol:
somebedroomdj

Postby WhiteIsBeautiful » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:28 pm

i would only buy the microbrute is money is a factor. micro is instance fun but minibrute has more going on with it.the two envelopes are a must have.
WhiteIsBeautiful

Postby moremagic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 am

for some, sure. for others having the midi to CV patch panel with the ability to send envelopes, synced lfos, &c to other gear could be a deciding factor. and those folks with all this other gear will appreciate the smaller size too, ill bet
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby pmh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:37 pm

D'oh, you do all realise you're just making this worse! :biggrin:

Just when I think I've decided, more info appears, and then I can't make my mind up again.

Hmm, shall have to watch a few more YouTube videos.

Kind regards,

Phil
pmh

Postby ColorForm2113 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm

pmh wrote:D'oh, you do all realise you're just making this worse! :biggrin:

Just when I think I've decided, more info appears, and then I can't make my mind up again.

Hmm, shall have to watch a few more YouTube videos.

Kind regards,

Phil

LMAO I know the feeling, that's why I'm holding out for a mega brute or poly brute or modular brute or whatever the next progression of this wonderful synth will be. but I'm leaning more toward the minibrute due to the 2 envelopes and arpeggiator
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!) Beat Step and Volca Beats
ColorForm2113

Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Postby Walter Ego » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 pm

somebedroomdj wrote:Oh my, that is a relief. lol :lol:

It's one of the funniest threads in online synth forum history. Sorry if I was being obtuse if not just obscure...

Back on topic, though...*having played neither of them*, I am tending toward the Micro because of the onboard sequencer and the ability to patch it out via CV. With the recent announcement from you know who about the reissued Odyssey, I'm leaning heavily toward the Micro so I can sequence the Oddy from it. My two cents.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby plikestechno » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 am

They're so cheap, get both. That's what I did. Ridiculous value for the money.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts