Recording a synth with multiple outputs.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Recording a synth with multiple outputs.

Postby SpiralMind » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi.

With the Novation Supernova 2, there are 8 separate outputs assignable to the 8 multitimbral parts in performance mode. These can be sent out as 8 mono tracks, or when the 8 parts are paired up, 4 stereo channels.

My question is:
How could I record up to 8 separate outputs onto 8 tracks in my DAW (REAPER) so that I am able to mix each multitimbral part indepedently.

I'm guessing it's as simple as...an 8 input audio interface...If so which one?

It must be USB2.0, have MIDI connection, and be under £300. I don't mind scaling down to 4/6 inputs if it brings down the price.

Thanks in advance :)
SpiralMind

Advertisement:

Re: Recording a synth with multiple outputs.

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:51 am

Focusrite scarlett-18i8

4 mike/line ins, + 4 line ins , 4 line outs plus MIDI

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby SpiralMind » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks, that looks ideal. I might go for the 6 input box.

One more thing, I seem to remember reading that some interfaces can't record through all of their inputs simultaneously. Can this record through all eight at the same time?

EDIT: Actually that would make no sense, silly question!?
SpiralMind

Postby krushing » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:53 pm

SpiralMind wrote:One more thing, I seem to remember reading that some interfaces can't record through all of their inputs simultaneously. Can this record through all eight at the same time?

EDIT: Actually that would make no sense, silly question!?

I seem to remember there have been some units like this, but pretty much everything (and definitely these Focusrites) these days can record all their inputs at the same time separately.
krushing

Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 pm

I recall some M-Audio interfaces that had reduced channel counts when USB bus powered...to record all channels you had to use a power supply.

Also some interfaces have limited channel counts when recording at higher bitrates like 96k or 192k.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Postby 2manydrummachines » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 am

How is the latency on it?
2manydrummachines

Postby 2manydrummachines » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:34 am

MOTU 828 III Hybrid would be about the best choice. Technically you do not need an external mixer for it. The MOTU has CueMix FX software which has been giving me trouble, but I am hoping my situation is just a local one. Budget-wise there is a Tascam FW1082 its obsolete but it's FW400 and it is a motorized control surface. It has inputs and you can record all 8 at once just like the MOTU. The only down on it aside from being obsolete & budget concious is the monitor out section isn't balanced & the knobs are cheesy. I also seen a M-Audio one that appears to be an analog mixer too.
The Mackie Onyx - i versions aren't horribly expensive but their faders aren't motorized but they do have FW connectivity.
2manydrummachines

Return to Sound Production