Roland vs Korg lol read on

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Roland vs Korg lol read on

Postby corndogssg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:29 pm

ok 1st off, Roland vs Korg, wtf, who posts this in a synth shoot out. although I have been more of a roland lover over the years korg has shown me some nifty things from their camp over the last year or so. so down to the shoot out. They could of made a replica of the Jupiter 8 and 6 but what we got was nothing like those two analogue ROLAND BEASTS when they made the Jupiter 80. I want to say that roland's gaia was overpriced out of the gate, it should of been sold for 3 bills and targeted to a beginner who wanted to step up from the casio/Yamaha "toyish" keyboards one would find at a best buy or walmart. all though the gaia has a great interface and layout (wich is why it is an awesome synth for beginners) it is more like a toy for someone who lets say is on this site. lol. if you love the gaia, to each his own, I think it was a big step down from the sh 201. but when roland made the gaia as well as the keytar lucina which I have my own issues with (btw korg is coming out with a kick ass keytar later this year) while roland wasted everyones time and money on their "lady name" synths, korg was cleaning up shop with the MS20mini (and now the ms20 kit as well) all their analogue VOLCA beat,bass and keys synths as well as their "stocking stuffer" monotron duo and delay. Not to metion the KORG KRONOS is the king shit of the titans and truly is a modern god among modern day synths.

So here it is, how do you feel Roland will fair against Korg, after pulling their heads out of their heads out of their ass's and going back into THEIR past success with revamping some of their kick ass old school gear in their AIRA collection? they are recreating some of their classics lke the 808, 909 and system 100 semi mod synth

http://www.rolandus.com/go/aira/

do you guys think that 2014 will be Rolands year, as I admit the new shit looks pretty dope. lol but that's also what I thought when I first heard about the new Jupiter 8, the sh 01 gaia and lucina keytar.

Korg isn't a fool of a company either, they know that remaking something from their past correctly will bring the masses their way, they have a long list of classics they could dive into their archive as I heard of a possible rebirth of the KORG MONO/POLY & POLYSIX for the 2014 summer namm or 2015 winter namm.
and like I said their keytar they are coming out with the KORG RK100S wich in my opinion I think will feel better than the ROLAND LUCINA that feels like your left hand is trapped inside the pitch bending ribbon handle.

Will Roland take the king of the hill position over Korg this year with their new line of remade classics? :?: :?: :?:
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Advertisement:

Re: Roland vs Korg lol read on

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:59 pm

The merits of the individual units aside, I think Roland's going to have a lot of trouble winning hearts and minds with this Aira stuff. They went to a lot of trouble building up a lot of hype and skipping out on NAMM like a diva to boost their marketing "mystery," only for it to turn out to be yet another set of VA gear, which would be old news by this point even if the last two years hadn't seen a bunch of other companies (quite successfully) getting into the swing of the analog revival, with a whole lot of people spending that time wondering when Roland would get into the game - and once again, the answer is "evidently not this year!" It feels like a bit of a snub.

On top of which, while priced fairly competitively, the new units aren't even cheaper than the equivalent pieces from other companies that we got in 2013 (you could get a Volca Bass, Volca Beats, and MS-20 Mini and save yourself $500 over the cost of the "role-equivalent" Aira pieces, although there hasn't been a new analog vocoder that I know of - yet,) which were true analog - which means that the only particular reasons to pick the Aira over them are if you really want whatever features the Aira gear offers that its competitors don't, or if you just like gaudy lighting and don't care about all this analog-vs.-digital stuff.

But if you don't care, chances are you don't give a crap about the originals these are trying to invoke, either (and don't give me the "no, see, it's for hip young people, not us!" stuff, hip young people are all on their Macbooks with their Ableton and their sample libraries and their hoo-ha, and as for unhip young people - i.e. me - they're actually tending more and more towards the kind of retrophilia that would make you nostalgic for analog synthesizers, NES games, and Back to the Future. Or you might look at it as those things just being inherently awesome and inspiring rediscovery, if you're an unhip young person.) So Roland is more or less attempting to sell one group something they don't care about, and the other group something they don't want - not a recipe for tremendous success, in my book.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 am

The tb-3 has a lot of stuff to offer to people who are looking to get more than just a 303 clone. It can work well with my old sequencers for example, and it lets you modulate at least certain aspects of its sound via touch screen, and sends that over midi to boot. The volca bass is nice, but it's sort of a dead end in a midi setup. And while it sounds nice for the price, it doesn't seem to offer me, as a 303 owner, much that I wouldn't rather do with my 303. While it can be a nice accompaniment as well, the limitations make the tb-3 much more desirable. Now for those who don't have 303s(xoxboxes, or w/e), it could be a perfect mate with the tb-3.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I think people are missing the point.

By going digital Aira gives users full MIDI implementations, audio over USB, etc. The System 1 might be very interesting depending on the "plug outs" Roland can come up with....even better if they choose to work with third party developers.

The Korg machines give you none of that. You can't even back up your Volca sequences and the MS20 for all it's charms lacks many things users take for granted today.

The digital vs. analog argument will never end but the bottom line is does it sound good or not. If Roland has really upped their game in VA technology these could be very successful.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby rob_lee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I hope they don't work with third party developers to be honest. I hope they just stick to making all Roland software.
If they do open up to third party then i might as well have gotten a midi keyboard and used soft synths that way.
The other reason i wouldn't open this up to third party developers is that there'll be the never ending bug reports from users saying XY synth won't work etc etc etc.

Keep it Roland :D

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:00 pm

LOL this thread.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:16 pm

meatballfulton wrote:By going digital Aira gives users full MIDI implementations, audio over USB, etc.

That's...I...what? What part of the MIDI standard can't be implemented on an analog synthesizer? Sample-over-MIDI, I guess, but seriously? The MS-20 Mini lacks CC send/respond for its controls because they explicitly wanted to keep it simple, oldschool, and hands-on, not because analog synthesizers can't take a damn pitch-bend message (both of my analog polys are perfectly capable of doing so.)

(Unless you mean they don't have a GM instrument set, in which case: ha ha, hahaha, hahahahaha.)

Also, there's no reason audio-over-USB couldn't be added to an analog synth. It'd just be kind of silly.
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby vicd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 am

I hardly see why Korg releasing an Arp Odyssey is going to conclude this thread, considering it is likely to be just as 'modernized' as the MS-20 mini- in other words, not much.

Roland's Aira stuff would have been great... if it came out three or four years ago.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby shaft9000 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:06 pm

listening to the system-1 snippets so far, i'm just bummed that Roland hasn't improved on the behavior of their digital filters much at all since the JD days.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby Z » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:31 pm

For crissakes people, this used to be a great forum. Now, it's bitching and complaining about everything.

We are living in great times, people. There is an over-abundance of new analog monos. Roland is "moving ahead" with their analog circuitry modelling thing.

YOU DONT NEED A JUPITER REISSUE TO WRITE MUSIC.

Post your music, questions, etc. Enough with the bitching.

I've said this many times and I'll say it again, the "analog community" is the smallest and POOREST community of the electronic musical instruments industry. Corporations (the big 3) are out to make money and the communities with the money are worship and touring musicians. I highly doubt Roland is going to spend the R&D money to produce a $3K+ Jupiter reissue that won't sell even a small fraction of what their workstations sell. Now, I have eaten my words before, maybe I'll eat them again. Until then,

SHUT UP AND GO PLAY WITH THE AWESOME SYNTHS WE ALREADY HAVE.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I don't need a Jupiter reissue. I want a Jupiter reissue. And if you think that a proper reissue of one of the most sought-after synthesizers out there wouldn't make money, you're crazy. Forget synth hobbyists, what do you think would happen if the JP8 were suddenly in the price range of any random small-time '80s-inspired band?

Anyway, reissue talk aside, the Aira is still a big yawn, and the fact that Roland thinks it's The Shit doesn't mean I'm somehow obligated to approve of it.
commodorejohn

Postby max badwan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm

Z wrote:SHUT UP AND GO PLAY WITH THE AWESOME SYNTHS WE ALREADY HAVE.

Hear, hear
max badwan

Gear: T1, XV 5080, JV 2080, VariOS (VC1), S 760, MKS 7/50/70, EX 8000, Poly 800, K 5000s, K 1000PX, K 1000GX, Mirage
Logic, Cubase, Reason

Postby ninja6485 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:55 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I don't need a Jupiter reissue. I want a Jupiter reissue. And if you think that a proper reissue of one of the most sought-after synthesizers out there wouldn't make money, you're crazy. Forget synth hobbyists, what do you think would happen if the JP8 were suddenly in the price range of any random small-time '80s-inspired band?

Anyway, reissue talk aside, the Aira is still a big yawn, and the fact that Roland thinks it's The Shit doesn't mean I'm somehow obligated to approve of it.
We've been through the Jupiter 8 reissue idea before, and concluded that recreating it is no small or affordable task. It would also be huge and fragile. Beyond that, I'm not sure anyone is concerned one way or the other about your approval. So Roland didn't make the arias analog. Why cry about what Roland didn't do? Roland didn't do a lot of things. Mr. K didn't come to my birthday party last year to sign my 909. Should I let this fact stand in the way of having fun with what they did do?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, esi4k,M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 pm

If nobody's concerned about what I (or anyone else who's underwhelmed by the Aira) think, then why do people constantly whine about us horrible naysayers being mean to a poor little huge instrument manufacturer on the Internet?
commodorejohn

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts