novation bass station II noob

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

novation bass station II noob

Postby BLVCKRVDIX » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:34 am

Hey iam 100% a newby to synthesizers. I plan on buying a novation bass station 2 tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone has or knows about this specific synthesizer and would like to give me their opinion on it and the brand

Thanxxxx
BLVCKRVDIX

Advertisement:

Re: novation bass station II noob

Postby Alex E » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 am

It would make a great first synth. Go for it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Live 8, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby BLVCKRVDIX » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 am

Yes I can't wait! The sensitivity on the keys are like butter and this will be such an awesome backup "bass" synth. This and a keyboard for lead and Ill be able so start a real set up
BLVCKRVDIX

Postby Z » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:06 am

There seems to be a lot of love for this new synth. This guy on YouTube loves them so much, he's got 5 of them. The specifications, sounds and price are all really good. I'm half-tempted to pick one up myself, but I've got too many synths already.

Regarding the Novation brand, they've been around since the early 90s and have made some great gear. There were not any dealers in the Dallas area that stocked their product in the early days. I had to have my local Guitar Center special order the SuperNova for me when it was introduced in the late 90s. A few years ago, I picked up a second-hand DrumStation which does a great job of reproducing the classic sounds of the Roland TR-808 and TR-909 drum machines.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Andy_X69 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:02 am

The BS2 is a fantastic synth.

Very flexible, analog signal path, brilliant for bass and leads, and you get a keyboard with aftertouch (I think) out of the deal.

Its very good for acid, techno and synthpop, but it does have some great teeth if you use the distortion and filter-fm options.

So yeah... you get a flexible analog monosynth which will serve you well in the years to come... its got an entry-level-friendly price, but it really is a professional piece of gear.

The BS2 plus a few pieces of good digital hardware will basically do everything you need, synthesis-wise.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128
Andy_X69

Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 pm

If the bs2 came out in 2004 it would've been bigger than the microkorg. Perfect for a beginner and really great for experts as well. Just get one and enjoy.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby rob_lee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:50 pm

BLVCKRVDIX wrote:Hey iam 100% a newby to synthesizers. I plan on buying a novation bass station 2 tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone has or knows about this specific synthesizer and would like to give me their opinion on it and the brand

Thanxxxx

Hi there,

I couldn't recommend this highly enough. This would be a great choice for your first synth. It can do a lot.

+1 on the other guys comments here too. I hope you go for it and enjoy :-)

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby ranzee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I have a BSII and its a fantastic synth. Out of the similarly priced analog mono synths on the market (new) - this one probably has more bang for buck. Yes it does lead to that TB-303/acid bass synth sound - but you can break away from this and sculpt up some very unique sounds on this. Just think what you can do mixing 2 Oscillators - detuned, with a sub 2 octaves below, add some noise, some ring modulation, some distortion, some overdrive and BOOM!

The keyboard is better than the MiniBrute (which are known to break very very easily - like what happened to mine) - with aftertouch its pretty nice! The plastic case/chassis is surprisingly sturdy - and I would say it would last in gigs if you were careful with it. The presets that come are a great introduction to how to push this. A lot of the other mono-synths priced in this bracket do not have 2 oscillators. The sequencer and arp are awesome - and I have so much fun with it. I like how the control surface is completely digital, which means you can use MIDI to control knob positions and save all this via patch memory or SYSEX. The only thing missing badly on this synth are CV input/outputs. This will be a classic synth for many years to come, and is staying in my studio.

I should also add - that I also own Arturia Mini + Micro Brutes - and both of those will also stay in my studio. These all have unique characters, and I find they excel at different things.

Here's a track I wrote with the Bass Station II, MiniBrute, MicroBrute and a bunch of other synths (see if you can pick what I used the BSII for):

https://soundcloud.com/ranzee/infinitum
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby BLVCKRVDIX » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Can't wait thank you so much you guys for the input it truly helped my decision. And yes the sounds are awesome for some synthpop/coldwave. Just a couple more hours and my paycheck will be ready to cash! Might purchase from ebay there's a major deal on one and it shiuld be delivered within 3 days
BLVCKRVDIX

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Yeah, ebay has them for $375 I've seen. Somehow I got in on a deal from Proaudiostar for $350. I checked back and that deal stopped I guess.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby skunk3 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 pm

The BS2 is a fantastic little synth. IMO it sounds better than any of the newer analog monos... better than the Microbrute, Minibrute, MS-20 mini, etc. The overall build quality is very nice even though it's plastic... it feels like quality nonetheless. I'd say that it would be a GREAT synth to start on if you want an analog mono. The 'acid' filter is a nice addition, but it never quite sounds like a 303, no matter what. IMO it sounds much better than the original Bass Station / Super Bass Station.
skunk3

Gear: ESX, MPC 2500, EPS16+, TX16w, TX81z, Micro Q, Microbrute, Bass Station 2, MS-20 Mini, Nord Lead 2, Machinedrum, D-50, QS7.1, loads of effects...
Band: Purplewave

Return to Buyer's Guide