Digital PA Mixers Go Mainstream!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Digital PA Mixers Go Mainstream!

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:25 pm

SMPro Audio just showed a new series of digital mixers at Messe that blew my mind. 8 channels starting at $249. For live, not studio but check out what it can do.

Totally controlled via a browser interface. Everyone in the band can mix their own monitors (6 sends!) with their phone. If the network drops, the audio continues and any Bluetooth device with a browser can control it just in case your iPad goes belly up.

One mixer unit (8, 12, 16 or 24 channels) plus some powered speakers and you're good to go.

Wish they had bar band PAs like this 20 years ago!

Watch on youtube.com
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Advertisement:

Re: Digital PA Mixers Go Mainstream!

Postby pflosi » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Ugh, SM Pro Audio is known for very very bad build quality. Never before had I break a new product so fast and extensively (M-Patch). I won't buy their products again...
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby madtheory » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Married to the PM5D here though :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:12 am

Yeah they're kind of a step below Behringer in terms of quality. I've used an iPod Dock DI of theirs that would make error messages come up on my iPhone when I plugged it in. It's a nice idea in theory but I'll wait until someone reputable does it. Also I think giving everyone on stage control of their foldback mix is a recipe for blown wedges. ;)

Also, digital has been mainstream in the live world for a while now. I'm on digicos and digidesigns more often than not these days. There's still not much other than the qu16 in a 19" unit yet, I don't trust the behringers although I've never even seen one in a venue and the presonuses are truly terrible.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Yes, digital mixing is mainstream but not for bar bands. $2000+ 32 channel digital boards are not in every band's budget. I was interested in the Live 6 units because of the idiot approach to the interface but the price was exorbitant, this SMPro interface is a better compromise....lots of serious control without a sea of sliders and knobs in an 8 channel unit for $249? As AG would say come on!

I recently quit a band where I ran sound from the stage. The two vocalists were always unhappy with their monitors, mainly they wanted more of their own voice and less of the other ;) I finally located a top box unit (from Carvin of all places) that had two monitor sends and four power amps so I could run two monitor mixes without any outboard gear...I could leave home my rack full of power amps, EQs, etc. and a nest of patch cords. Plug in mikes, plug in speakers, go. I had to tweak the mix for them in between songs (or during songs...try adjusting a mix while playing bass some time). Meanwhile the drummer and guitarist could choose which mix they heard but couldn't get their own mix. A setup like this solves that particular problem in a slick way at a bar band price point.

If SMPro is junk, someone else will come along in this space soon enough.

The ironic thing is I've cut way back on gigs and even more on doing sound so I'll never own a rig like this anyway...I've been selling off my PA. Just another example of tech I dreamed of for years arriving too late for me to take advantage of it :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Moog Voyager, Live 9

Return to Sound Production