Omni 1 and a stone phaser

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Omni 1 and a stone phaser

Postby princefan3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi All....i will be getting my Omni 1 back from the techs soon.

im into early disco at the moment, ive noticed that a lot of DISCO strings a come from the Crumar performer.

do you think i would be close enough if i employed the same technique with the stone phaser.
princefan3

Advertisement:

Re: Omni 1 and a stone phaser

Postby calyx93 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:48 pm

well, the basic tone of the performer is more nasal sounding IMO and the ensemble effect is of a slightly different design, but with an omni and small stone, if you can't get satisfying disco strings, then you should give up :)

just use some outboard eq to achieve the type of tone you want.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Plenty of different stringers were used in disco. ARP Solina was the first out of the gate of course.

Crumar was what you bought if you couldn't afford an ARP.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby princefan3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:57 pm

I basicly brought the ARP as i liked Joy Divisions use of it and its SAD tone. although they opted for the ARP OMNI 2.
im hoping ill get roughly the same sound out of the 1.

and the fact it was beat up and i got it for £ 60.00 squid...now in the synth hospital having its guts out.
princefan3

Postby Broadwave » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:48 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Crumar was what you bought if you couldn't afford an ARP.

Ohhh… Cries "unfair" ;) In 1978 I could afford to get an Omni II, but CHOSE to get the Crumar Performer.

Yes, calyx93, you're right - the 3 phase chorus circuitry was very different for each stringer. The ARP used 3 separate chorus blocks each modulated by it's own LFO, the Crumar (and most other stringers) used 3 chorus blocks but only two LFO's that were inter-modulated and out of phase… Sorry, that's the geek in me screaming to get out, but the difference in sound is very noticeable.
Broadwave

Gear: Korg Kronos, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE 18U Modular, BroadWAVE Minimoog Clone, Korg Z1, Roland FA-06, Roland XV88, Studiologic Sledge.

Return to HELP!