Where are the sampling drum machines?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Where are the sampling drum machines?

Postby Nistegmos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 pm

What happened to any sampling drum machines? I can't seem to find any that have actual MIDI slave and master sync and also can sample and also have a drum machine style sequencer. Also looking for something that can do CD Redbook audio (44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo). Are the MPC's the only choice?
Nistegmos

Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Advertisement:

Re: Where are the sampling drum machines?

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 pm

Don't look now but the hardware MPCs are discontinued :shock:

They are still shown on Akai's web page but US online dealers no longer have them in stock.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby c-level » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 am

Nistegmos wrote:What happened to any sampling drum machines? I can't seem to find any that have actual MIDI slave and master sync and also can sample and also have a drum machine style sequencer. Also looking for something that can do CD Redbook audio (44.1 kHz 16 bit stereo). Are the MPC's the only choice?

id suggest maybe an Electribe ESX or ES
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, E6400 Ultra Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, M-Audio CX-8 Monitors, Focusrite Pro40
Band: C-Level

Postby cartesia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:48 am

ESX, MDUW, Octatrack..... think that's about it.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:14 am

Rytm :D
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby sam » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:36 pm

WHAT....No more hardware MPC's..?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:08 pm

sam wrote:WHAT....No more hardware MPC's..?

Do dealers outside the USA still stock any? They've disappeared here, Maschine forced Akai's hand.

End of an era. :dj:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby wiss » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 am

meatballfulton wrote:Don't look now but the hardware MPCs are discontinued :shock:

They are still shown on Akai's web page but US online dealers no longer have them in stock.

guitarcenter cut the prices on the used ones to get them off the shelf, used to be 30 to 40 on their website daily, not it's down to less than a dozen.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Infinity Curve » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 pm

On the plus side you can now grab MPC1000's and 2500's for cheap on places like craigslist as people move to Maschine. Put it this way, I got Maschine and ended up going back to the MPC2500 as I enjoy the workflow better.
Infinity Curve

Gear: Juno 106, SH101, Virus TI2 Polar, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, , MPC2500, Maschine, System 10, System 3
Band: Infinity Curve

Postby kuroichi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 am

I did the same with the 2000xl, I just wish someone would make a sampler that can separate from the computer and still have some functionality, but with samplers it seems everyone expects it to have everything at once as opposed to say the TR8 where it can focus on one sound.

At this point though, I can't think of anything a hardware sampler can offer anything technically, software wise over a computer. So in a sense, making something with the 'limitations' of say an MPC 60, would probably make more sense than something newer with computer comparable features.

I would still like to see a sampler with an eq, vcf and frequency rate control with a hardware switchable 12/24 bit input. Something that would allow you to alter the source and be creative before sampling the result. And while software is more capable, there is still a lot of ground not really covered due to people following the MPC template. I think integrating some interesting components to the sampling input would be a step forward somewhat and could still be applied to maschine, renaissance etc.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Maybe Roger Linn will finish up his sample-based version of Tempest before we're all dead.
meatballfulton

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:07 am

kuroichi wrote:I would still like to see a sampler with an eq, vcf and frequency rate control with a hardware switchable 12/24 bit input. Something that would allow you to alter the source and be creative before sampling the result. And while software is more capable, there is still a lot of ground not really covered due to people following the MPC template. I think integrating some interesting components to the sampling input would be a step forward somewhat and could still be applied to maschine, renaissance etc.

The Octatrack kind of has all that stuff built in. Hasn't got the 12 bit input but has a lot of really nice sounding effects that you can resample, and the pitch changing algos are really nice.

Whenever I start thinking about what would be the perfect sampler it always comes back to just being an OT with a bigger interface, or an OT with an output per track running into a nice analogue desk. That thing really just kills it.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby ellaguru » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm

@kuroichi

if pitch and very detailed sequencing are not problems, if money is a trouble, then there are also: zoom st224, boss sp303, roland sp404; for a better sequencing: roland sp606, boss sp505 and ensoniq asrx...in all those examples, resampling+fx is the creative key...
ellaguru

Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:56 pm

ellaguru,

The problem with the ones you mentioned is that they are all discontinued which I think was the OP's whole point :(
meatballfulton

Postby ellaguru » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:02 pm

meatballfulton wrote:ellaguru,

The problem with the ones you mentioned is that they are all discontinued which I think was the OP's whole point :(

oh, that's right...until now i didn't had any problem to find them on the used/second hand market, but i understand what you mean, sorry
(in any case i forget the sp404sx or the sp555 -not the 505- wich are still in production i think...)
ellaguru

Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Next

Return to Samplers